Please let the Vegas Golden Knights sign the other Karlsson

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Ok, I'm a neutral fan, but I cannot deny that I totally dig how this team plays hockey. Thank you for showing old dinosaurs (GMs and coaches) the modern way of playing the game. I want to be the grumpy traditional fan (because of instant success), but I can't, you have totally sold me over by the how the team wins games.

Now all I hope for is Vegas signs Erik Karlsson as one of your defensemen. You have your strategy, he is the perfect franchise defenseman for this strategy and he is pretty dominant by himself. He is a very, very good skater, he is mobile, he has vision, he has tons of skill, he has determination... he has everything especially Vegas wants.

He would destroy records playing for you and you would probably win a cup, easily. Please mr. GM, promise Erik Karlsson a cup by merely stating "sign with us and win cup(s)." and I think he would be good for his name.

Also, sign Grabner. He would be a happy camper on your team.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Didn't we once have Grabner?

Edit: I guess not...Grabovski. I'm a maroon.

Last edited:

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
He also will command a monster contract. I know we need more skill on the blueline, but I don't know if Karlsson (who hasn't been the same player since his surgery) is worth what we would have to give up. Sure he's on a different level than anyone we have, but I don't want to cripple the future of the franchise to get him either. Plus you have to wonder how bringing in a superstar will effect the chemistry, which is the real reason why this team is so successful.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
maybe you mean the other Carlson? oh wait that joke doesn't work in text.

but yeah I'd prefer John Carlson at 7.5m without giving up a big asset as opposed to spending 11-12m on Karlsson and giving up Theodore and one or more of our blue chip prospects.

I'm not against getting Erik Karlsson. After all he was the best player in the post season last year and willed his team into the conference finals. But not at the expense of what people think he should get.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
What EKarlsson would get doesn't frighten me as much as we would have to give to Ottawa since he is still under contract for one more year. If he was an UFA, I would have no problems contract wise but with an already new pipeline trading multiple pieces for him isn't what I would be looking for.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
What EKarlsson would get doesn't frighten me as much as we would have to give to Ottawa since he is still under contract for one more year. If he was an UFA, I would have no problems contract wise but with an already new pipeline trading multiple pieces for him isn't what I would be looking for.

If there's a huge bidding war & high $ demand I hope we bow out. If it comes down to Karlsson making a list of teams and the numbers are right, I wouldn't be opposed to a swap of Miller, (prospect not named Glass or Brannstrom) and Tatar for Ryan & Karlsson.

E.Karlsson & even young Brannstrom would be effective against the way teams like the Sharks have learned to clog up the neutral zone and force turnovers.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
If there's a huge bidding war & high $ demand I hope we bow out. If it comes down to Karlsson making a list of teams and the numbers are right, I wouldn't be opposed to a swap of Miller, (prospect not named Glass or Brannstrom) and Tatar for Ryan & Karlsson.

E.Karlsson & even young Brannstrom would be effective against the way teams like the Sharks have learned to clog up the neutral zone and force turnovers.
That trade wouldn't be completely abhorrent but I don't know if it would be enough to get the Sens to bite.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Ah, he has one more year left on his contract, being stuck in Ottawa. My bad, I thought his contract was up this summer. Then I would agree with you, he's not worth it for your roster.

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
He also will command a monster contract. I know we need more skill on the blueline, but I don't know if Karlsson (who hasn't been the same player since his surgery) is worth what we would have to give up. Sure he's on a different level than anyone we have, but I don't want to cripple the future of the franchise to get him either. Plus you have to wonder how bringing in a superstar will effect the chemistry, which is the real reason why this team is so successful.
Agreed. Bringing in an All Star doesn't guarantee better chemistry and playoff success. I like what we have and we're still in the playoffs. I don't know the contracts for next year, but 2 solid goalies is good to have.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Ive seen 90% of Karlsson’s career games. He hasn’t been this bad defensively since his rookie year when he was 160 pounds soaking wet.

I’d trade for him 11 times out of 10 mid season assuming 1- he recovers form to pre (last injury Karlsson) Karlsson 2- there is an agreed upon extension before the trade call.

Healthy Karlsson in his prime is behind only Crosby and McDavid.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
Ive seen 90% of Karlsson’s career games. He hasn’t been this bad defensively since his rookie year when he was 160 pounds soaking wet.

I’d trade for him 11 times out of 10 mid season assuming 1- he recovers form to pre (last injury Karlsson) Karlsson 2- there is an agreed upon extension before the trade call.

Healthy Karlsson in his prime is behind only Crosby and McDavid.

This season has been a down one for him what with his return from that injury not to mention loss of his son. But of course I expect him to rebound and return to who he is next season and he's still in his prime. Dude's a great player, no doubt about it.

Don't see him as a fit though. McPhee has a young add coming in (Brannstrom) next year to the blueline. Hague also has made probably the most strides of any of our prospects. Do we want to become that team who starts burning through picks in risky/short term trades to chase a cup? Personally, I'd prefer McPhee keep building this team with hard working types and speed, and ensure they have waves of young players coming up from the minors.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Two first rounds of playoffs were awesome, but even with tight defense we got scored on by counter attacks.

E.Karlsson brings awesome offense, but that is not what this team needs imo. We need fast defensive D that can handle the counter attacks. If we are to go against the Jets or Lightning, the counter-attacks might be even bigger issue, since both teams have very fast counters. E.Karlsson is too pricey to be played in such a defensive role that this team needs.

Reactions: Vegas Mac

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Two first rounds of playoffs were awesome, but even with tight defense we got scored on by counter attacks.

E.Karlsson brings awesome offense, but that is not what this team needs imo. We need fast defensive D that can handle the counter attacks. If we are to go against the Jets or Lightning, the counter-attacks might be even bigger issue, since both teams have very fast counters. E.Karlsson is too pricey to be played in such a defensive role that this team needs.

Toby Enstrom might be worth a look. He can still play on any pairing, and a veteran Swede wouldn't hurt.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
This season has been a down one for him what with his return from that injury not to mention loss of his son. But of course I expect him to rebound and return to who he is next season and he's still in his prime. Dude's a great player, no doubt about it.

Don't see him as a fit though. McPhee has a young add coming in (Brannstrom) next year to the blueline. Hague also has made probably the most strides of any of our prospects. Do we want to become that team who starts burning through picks in risky/short term trades to chase a cup? Personally, I'd prefer McPhee keep building this team with hard working types and speed, and ensure they have waves of young players coming up from the minors.

This wouldn't really be a risky trade.

Posters on here get way too infatuated with prospects, most of whom never make it let alone reach their full potential, over known quantities but GM's tend to do the opposite.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
This wouldn't really be a risky trade.

Posters on here get way too infatuated with prospects, most of whom never make it let alone reach their full potential, over known quantities but GM's tend to do the opposite.

Well speaking of fans another thing they do is ignore fit. GMs, as you observed above, tend to do the opposite.

We need more speed on the blueline who can expedite transition to the speed we have at forward. Karlsson, while a great player, is not necessarily the best fit all things considered, from cost of trade to contract and cap hit over time, etc.

And I am certain that George McPhee has zero doubts as to whether Brannstrom will impact this team. It's more a question of when.

Reactions: Vegan Knight

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Well speaking of fans another thing they do is ignore fit. GMs, as you observed above, tend to do the opposite.

We need more speed on the blueline who can expedite transition to the speed we have at forward. Karlsson, while a great player, is not necessarily the best fit all things considered, from cost of trade to contract and cap hit over time, etc.

And I am certain that George McPhee has zero doubts as to whether Brannstrom will impact this team. It's more a question of when.

I'll have to disagree some here. While I think we can be successful without Karlsson and we have multiple paths we could take, he's the type of player that fits in any team. He's top five in the league, period. He would probably do a better job of releasing our quick forwards than anyone else on our team or in our system.

I don't mind anyone not wanting him for whatever reason, but to say he wouldn't make us a better team is a bit absurd to me.

McPhee clearly wants him, though. He may not get him as the price could turn into something else above and beyond over the summer but he will make a serious play.

Reactions: Vegas Mac

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
I think the "EK65-to-Vegas" ship sailed at the trade deadline, thanks to the Tatar trade - that took away the first round pick we could have sent to Ottawa AND the cap space we could have used to re-sign EK. I don't doubt he's a special player and would help the team tremendously, but the cost to acquire him AND to pay him after next season could really affect this team's long-term success. Just my opinion.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I think the "EK65-to-Vegas" ship sailed at the trade deadline, thanks to the Tatar trade - that took away the first round pick we could have sent to Ottawa AND the cap space we could have used to re-sign EK. I don't doubt he's a special player and would help the team tremendously, but the cost to acquire him AND to pay him after next season could really affect this team's long-term success. Just my opinion.
Agree 100%

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

unless he wants something like 13-14 million there's room with Brassard's cap hit coming off the books. There's even room for Ryan with Tatar going to Ottawa (Tatar is owed about half the salary that Ottawa has to pay Ryan - with a 2m signing bonus due this summer). Clarkson's contract is gone in 2 years as well, and who knows maybe a new CBA compliance buyout option in a few seasons.

Plus the Knights have 6 picks in the first 3 rounds of the 2019 draft.

I'm not saying they should do it though. However I'm not going to lie and say I wouldn't be jumping for joy upon hearing the news.

But that's if the cap goes way up as projected.

Reactions: Vegan Knight

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
unless he wants something like 13-14 million there's room with Brassard's cap hit coming off the books. There's even room for Ryan with Tatar going to Ottawa (Tatar is owed about half the salary that Ottawa has to pay Ryan - with a 2m signing bonus due this summer). Clarkson's contract is gone in 2 years as well, and who knows maybe a new CBA compliance buyout option in a few seasons.

Okay, I stand corrected - I just ran some projections in CapFriendly where I gave EK $12M per for 8 years and took Ryan as well. Even keeping Tatar, we'd have the cap space if we can manage to sign the following players to these cap hits:

Wild Bill: 6.5M
Tuch: 3.5M
Schmidt: 5M
Theodore: 5M
Miller: 3M
Fleury: 4M

Glass and Brannstrom would still be on their ELC's until 2022, if we slide them next year as well (which I hope we do). Which would coincide with the end of Ryan's contract, as well as Reilly Smith and McNabb. Tatar's deal ends in 2021.

Wow, I honestly didn't think we had a chance. That said, the biggest problem in any EK65 trade is the asking price - I think we'd have to give up Suzuki at least, as well as the 2019 1st round pick. But what else?

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Okay, I stand corrected - I just ran some projections in CapFriendly where I gave EK $12M per for 8 years and took Ryan as well. Even keeping Tatar, we'd have the cap space if we can manage to sign the following players to these cap hits:

Wild Bill: 6.5M
Tuch: 3.5M
Schmidt: 5M
Theodore: 5M
Miller: 3M
Fleury: 4M

Glass and Brannstrom would still be on their ELC's until 2022, if we slide them next year as well (which I hope we do). Which would coincide with the end of Ryan's contract, as well as Reilly Smith and McNabb. Tatar's deal ends in 2021.

Wow, I honestly didn't think we had a chance. That said, the biggest problem in any EK65 trade is the asking price - I think we'd have to give up Suzuki at least, as well as the 2019 1st round pick. But what else?

I honestly think we could sign Karlsson around 11 million, with our tax situation and cost of living here.

If we're taking Ryan, we would most likely swap him and Tatar, who is owed way less actual dollars, as has been said.

That would mean only 1.95 million cap increase but one extra year. That may not matter that much as I'm sure the CBA negotiations will result in a compliance buyout option.

That would reduce the price, I think something like this.

Suzuki/ Brannstrom

2019 1st (Ottawa has two 1st rounders this year but none next year plus our 2018 1st would have been 28-31, they want this pick anyway)

2020 1st

Another pick/ Gusev's rights (don't see him ever playing here)

I think we could do that. We have a lot of picks in the first three rounds the next few seasons and enough later round picks to get more, if we wanted to do so.

EDIT
Here are our picks:
(Total picks in round in parentheses)

1st- VGK (1)
2nd- VGK, CBJ (2)
3rd- VGK, WIN, NASH (3)
4th- VGK (1)
5th- VGK, MTL (2)
6th- VGK (1)
7th- VGK (1)

1st- VGK (1)
2nd- VGK, PIT, DAL (3)