Please Go Away Michael Sam

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
This guy is trying to stay relevant even though his " 15 minutes " have passed.

from cbssports.com:

michael-sam-mizzou-bball.jpg

Michael Sam is hoping for one more shot at the NFL.

Former Rams defensive end Michael Sam, the first openly gay player drafted in NFL history, continues to be in the news.

There was the report of a deal between the NFL and the Rams based on drafting Sam so the Rams could avoid being on Hard Knocks. Now it's because Sam is on the cover of Attitude and telling the magazine he's encountered criticism for not being "gay enough" or "black enough."

“It's terrible," Sam said, via the Advocate. "People have told me I'm not gay enough, people have told me I'm not black enough. I don't know what that means. You want to be accepted by other people but you don't even accept someone just because of the color of their skin? I just don't understand that at all."

Sam's experience hasn't been all bad. He told Attitude he was stunned by the amount of positive correspondence he received following his decision to come out before the 2014 NFL Draft.

“I started reading things that was going around, from people: emails, letters, Tweets, messages, everything – they were more positive than negative," Sam said. "‘People said oh my god I just can't believe you had the courage to do that'. I said, ‘I'm just living my life.'

He continues: "So many young people who were scared to tell their parents, they were athletes themselves: [they wrote that] you gave me the courage to come out myself. You know, it was amazing."

Things didn't work out for Same in the NFL, but his release by the Rams, then the Cowboys, was more about his talent level than anything else. (Landing on the Rams, with Robert Quinn and Chris Long as starters at defensive end in a 4-3 scheme, wasn't really ideal either.)

The former SEC Defensive Player of the Year said multiple times he plans on giving the NFL one more shot. At this point it feels like a long shot.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Magazine requests guy do an interview. Guy grants request for interview. Guy says nothing particularly consequential.

You rip him for "not going away."

Who's the jerk here, again?

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Magazine requests guy do an interview. Guy grants request for interview. Guy says nothing particularly consequential.

You rip him for "not going away."

Who's the jerk here, again?

Easy there internet tough guy - I just stated that I'm tired of hearing him whine about how people are constantly trying to keep him down. So sorry if that in some way offended your sensitive feelings. :shakehead

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
If you're sick about Michael Sam complaining about how people try to keep him down, why did you read, and then link, an article in which Michael Sam complains about how people try to keep him down?*

*=I didn't read the article, so I'm not certain whether or not this is, in fact, an article in which Michael Sam complains about how people try to keep him down.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
He clearly is using the whole gay thing to get attention. No one would give a **** about him if he didn't come out. I still don't really get why he needed to do that, do other football players come out and say they heterosexual? Nope. Hope no one feels compelled to give him another chance. And I say this as a Rams fan that didn't give a **** when we drafted him.

Sep 19, 2008
How is anyone even criticizing this guy after the struggle he has to go through

Know your role :laugh:

"JUST GO AWAY BECAUSE I'M TIRED OF SEEING YOU IN THE HEADLINES"

Well then don't read the news then mate

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
He clearly is using the whole gay thing to get attention. No one would give a **** about him if he didn't come out. I still don't really get why he needed to do that, do other football players come out and say they heterosexual? Nope.

They don't come out because being straight is the social norm and you don't face serious repercussions for being straight. :rolleyes:

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
He clearly is using the whole gay thing to get attention. No one would give a **** about him if he didn't come out. I still don't really get why he needed to do that, do other football players come out and say they heterosexual? Nope.

Kordell Stewart did.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
The NFL has or has had players who are rapists, murderers, child abusers, spouse abusers, animal abusers and so on, but Michael Sam is the one who should go away?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Easy there internet tough guy - I just stated that I'm tired of hearing him whine about how people are constantly trying to keep him down. So sorry if that in some way offended your sensitive feelings. :shakehead

Well, if I wanted people to stop talking about someone I was sick and tired of hearing about, one of the things I would do is come to a popular internet message board that I frequent and start a thread about it.

Sarcastic

PosterOfTheYear2014
Sep 18, 2011
Toronto
Please stop talking about Michael Sam guys. I don't understand why you want to keep talking about him.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
If you're sick about Michael Sam complaining about how people try to keep him down, why did you read, and then link, an article in which Michael Sam complains about how people try to keep him down?*

*=I didn't read the article, so I'm not certain whether or not this is, in fact, an article in which Michael Sam complains about how people try to keep him down.

It's the same premise as Tim Tebow. "Man, I wish the media would stop talking about him!" he posts on the NFL message board. They talk about this **** precisely because you spread the word. Stop hate watching and Skip Bayless will go away. Stop caring about Michael Sam and you won't hear about him. Until then, he moves the needle, for better or worse. It's partially ESPN's fault, and partially yours.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad