Player Discussion: PLD

Status
Not open for further replies.

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
True and I think Maurice was a bit too fixated on turning him into a power forward. But Laine by all accounts didn't take his conditioning as serious as other pro players.
All accounts? How many "on the record" accounts are there? Serious question.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
He must be some athletic freak. I’m still perplexed how productive he was with that build. That iron man record is also crazy.
There are multiple roads to success. Some take Van Damme Way...

... some take Daly Road. :nod:

john-daly-earnings.png

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Thoughts on PLD and Harkins for Byfield/Velardi/Iafalo which is the rumor I am reading.
Me thinks there is no way LA trades both Byfield and Vilardi. Makes much more sense to upgrade Vilardi to Dubois and work on developing the much cheaper Byfield.

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018
Laine turned out to be a pretty dud of a 2nd OV pick. Over 7 full seasons he has averaged 28 goals and 55 points per year and is getting paid $8.7 M to do it. Never mind that his career year was his rookie season.
And Dubois has averaged 21 goals over 6 seasons and will get $9M per season. And he’s a quitter.

But who’d you rather watch and have on your team. For me it’s Laine by a mile.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
He must be some athletic freak. I’m still perplexed how productive he was with that build. That iron man record is also crazy.
Kessel is a freak of nature. At no point has he ever looked remotely in shape.

He looks more like a professional hot dog eating contest champion than a pro hockey player, never mind an nhl player with a scoring touch

Like if you told me they roll him to work every day I'd believe you

• Haha
Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
And Dubois has averaged 21 goals over 6 seasons and will get $9M per season. And he’s a quitter.

But who’d you rather watch and have on your team. For me it’s Laine by a mile.
I’d prefer neither on the team especially with what both will be making this season. We ended up a little unlucky that Laine was the consensus #2 pick in 2016. A good return now on PLD is fine with me.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
The only way I could see Byfield being on the table with Vilardi is if Helle was also LA bound. And even then LA would definitely have to add. Maybe that is what is holding things up with Chevy being Chevy and not trading Helle before the awards show.....:sarcasm:

Or probably not:laugh:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I’d prefer neither on the team especially with what both will be making this season. We ended up a little unlucky that Laine was the consensus #2 pick in 2016. A good return now on PLD is fine with me.

Yup I am was happy to move on from Laine and I will be happy to move on from PLD. As stated we got 7 very cost effective seasons out of them and we should get a return on a trade. Both those guys will be making big money once PLD signs so they become someone else’s frustration (they both are talented and frustrating players).

So we are one day away from the draft I wonder if this thing goes right to the deadline or if something gets done before the draft? I don’t expect the Jets to still own PLD’s rights by Friday.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yup I am was happy to move on from Laine and I will be happy to move on from PLD. As stated we got 7 very cost effective seasons out of them and we should get a return on a trade. Both those guys will be making big money once PLD signs so they become someone else’s frustration (they both are talented and frustrating players).

So we are one day away from the draft I wonder if this thing goes right to the deadline or if something gets done before the draft? I don’t expect the Jets to still own PLD’s rights by Friday.

My guess is it's resolved sometime today. I'd imagine Chevy will want time to deal with his other main trade pieces.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm guessing Chevy is probably already working on the other trade pieces, since the PLD deal seems to be in the hands of LA management and his agent.
I sure hope they can multi task. This is a defining moment in Jets 2.0 history. We haven’t had a time like this where arguably our top three guys have one year left and need to be moved at once.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
My guess is it's resolved sometime today. I'd imagine Chevy will want time to deal with his other main trade pieces.

Hard to say for me without more information. I assume Chevy and his team have the resources to carry on all the deal flow although this would be a busy stretch.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Hard to say for me without more information. I assume Chevy and his team have the resources to carry on all the deal flow although this would be a busy stretch.

True but the pieces received from this deal or not received if it were to fall through would likely impact what he'd like to do with the other trades.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Looks like pld might be having second thoughts about a big stage in the Montreal/Quebec market (not that LA isn't but in terms of being hockey markets, and personal reasons they don't compare I think)

Then there’s this: no matter what the Canadiens are willing to do, this contract would make Dubois the highest paid player on the team. How will he handle being a native Quebecer who is suddenly the highest paid player on the Canadiens and therefore seen as a quasi-leader despite the captaincy being held by Nick Suzuki, the current highest-paid player? How would he handle the inevitable pressure that would come with every slump? How does that compare to what his reality would be like in Los Angeles?

These are secondary concerns, but we’re told they are very real when it comes to Dubois’ thought process in deciding between the two options. —Arpon Basu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad