Podcast (Audio) PLD on ATKM (Pierre-Luc Dubois on All The Kings Men)

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Jesse @All The Kings Men, is there no longer any option to access Kings Talk as podcasts this season?

I'm really missing your post-game podcasts this season, which you used to do for many previous seasons. :(

I understand that post-game shows have now been moved to Kings Talk, which you now host (congrats on that!); however, this means they now no longer seem to be available as podcasts at all.

As to the LA Kings Insider Audio podcast (it seems defunct now), it never worked for me anyway. It just never appeared in the Pocket Casts app (ATKM is there, Reign Check as well, Fox & Faust used to be there, too, but never LA Kings Insider Audio), the whole season long (you tried to resolve it back in December 2022 or so, but it just never happened), so it was impossible to subscribe to it.

Can you, please, consider uploading Kings Talk post-game shows as part of All the Kings Men which has always been easily available for subscription for everyone? Thank you.

Reactions: David Lunch

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
Jesse @All The Kings Men, is there no longer any option to access Kings Talk as podcasts this season?

I'm really missing your post-game podcasts this season, which you used to do for many previous seasons. :(

I understand that post-game shows have now been moved to Kings Talk, which you now host (congrats on that!); however, this means they now no longer seem to be available as podcasts at all.

As to the LA Kings Insider Audio podcast (it seems defunct now), it never worked for me anyway. It just never appeared in the Pocket Casts app (ATKM is there, Reign Check as well, Fox & Faust used to be there, too, but never LA Kings Insider Audio), the whole season long (you tried to resolve it back in December 2022 or so, but it just never happened), so it was impossible to subscribe to it.

Can you, please, consider uploading Kings Talk post-game shows as part of All the Kings Men which has always been easily available for subscription for everyone? Thank you.
Apologies for that.

Kings Talk has been a bit of a work in progress due to the simulcast and some scheduling issues. We have plans for it to become much more consistent and it will most likely be uploaded to the LAKI feed but I can definitely look into the Pocket Casts issue for you.

If that never works you can always go to LAKings.com/podcasts and try subscribing directly to the RSS feed from there or downloading the "episodes".

I will look at the pocket casts issue right now.

EDIT: I sent them an email after poking around a bit. Hopefully we can get this fixed for you soon.

Last edited:

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Apologies for that.

Kings Talk has been a bit of a work in progress due to the simulcast and some scheduling issues. We have plans for it to become much more consistent and it will most likely be uploaded to the LAKI feed but I can definitely look into the Pocket Casts issue for you.

If that never works you can always go to LAKings.com/podcasts and try subscribing directly to the RSS feed from there or downloading the "episodes".

I will look at the pocket casts issue right now.
will the episodes be longer?
I remember I used to be able to go to the game , walk to my AMC Gremlin and be halfway to Mexico and kings talk would be on the air.

With both episodes of this year, they are over before the gremlin is even up to freeway speed, (In your defense I got 0 to 60 in about 7 minutes)

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
will the episodes be longer?
I remember I used to be able to go to the game , walk to my AMC Gremlin and be halfway to Mexico and kings talk would be on the air.

With both episodes of this year, they are over before the gremlin is even up to freeway speed, (In your defense I got 0 to 60 in about 7 minutes)
Certainly the home game episode will be.

The shortness was on me and trying to be clever and forgetting about things like overtime and shootouts.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Certainly the home game episode will be.

The shortness was on me and trying to be clever and forgetting about things like overtime and shootouts.
That makes sense,

Please also factor in time for me to get one of the bacon wrapped hotdogs that are cooking on cookie sheets in shopping carts outside of the arena. It takes me a second to select which cart to buy from. I am immediately prejudice when it is a shopping cart from Home Depot or an office supply store. Only grocery store cart hot dogs for me

I was going to ask you this question live on Kings talk post game Saturday
, but the Gremin was only to 29 mph when you ended the show

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
the LA Kings Insider Audio podcast (it seems defunct now), it never worked for me anyway. It just never appeared in the Pocket Casts app
It should be working now! Please let me know if it isn't.

I published tonight's Kings Talk to LAKI but it isn't showing up in the app yet but sometimes that sort of thing takes time to show up.

Keep me updated. Sorry it wasn't taken care of before.

• Love
Reactions: Faterson

ZJames

Jan 4, 2011
Dont worry about it
That makes sense,

Please also factor in time for me to get one of the bacon wrapped hotdogs that are cooking on cookie sheets in shopping carts outside of the arena. It takes me a second to select which cart to buy from. I am immediately prejudice when it is a shopping cart from Home Depot or an office supply store. Only grocery store cart hot dogs for me

I was going to ask you this question live on Kings talk post game Saturday
, but the Gremin was only to 29 mph when you ended the show
For your sake, I hope you have a cardiologist already picked out. Lol

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
It should be working now!

Many thanks for your care, Jesse!

All of a sudden, vrooooom!, and 11 most recent episodes of the LA Kings Insider podcast (including the Winnipeg one from last night) popped up, all at once, in my Pocket Casts. :thumbu: See the attached screenshot for evidence.

The issue is now resolved, and I'm very happy I'll be able to listen to post-game shows this season as well (for away games now, too!). :nod:

P. S.: Yup, that's no typo in the screenshot: I'm a podcast fanatic and do have 407 episodes (from various podcasts, on various topics and in various languages) lined up in my Up Next queue in Pocket Casts... but I do prioritize LA Kings podcasts (such as All The Kings Men, now also LA Kings Insider, along with Eddie Garcia's Locked on LA Kings and his general-themed Puck Podcast, etc.).

now_fine-LA_Kings_Insider_podcast.jpg

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Also... charge your phone!

Having 407 episodes lined up in your Up Next podcast queue can drain your battery pretty fast, you know?

Just got back from my past-midnight walk of 5 miles, and it was only made palatable by the very first LA Kings Insider podcast episode I was able to listen to! Of course I listened to Kings Talk many times before, but it's a different experience to have it available as a podcast (no ads, for one thing). :thumbu:

(A night bus was about to pass me by, giving me the opportunity to hop on it and spare the final mile or so walking, but I said to myself, "Nope! This Kings Talk episode is such a nice and joyful listen, with everyone so happy with the Kings' performance, that I'll just let the bus go and will walk the full 5 miles all the way to home, even though it's 1 past midnight." And I did!)

As to your question towards the end, Jesse, whether we noticed you being "nervous" doing the show: I did notice that your voice sounded different compared to All the Kings Men. You are very laid-back and relaxed there, whereas here in this most recent Kings Talk episode, your voice sounded kinda excitedly joyful all the time. :D Nothing wrong with that – just not used to hearing that from you very often. I wonder if your voice would have sounded quite as jubilant if the Kings got thrashed 8-1 or something. Well, let's see what happens after the Minnesota game. :naughty:

Reactions: AbsentMojo

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
what's the story with PLD so far this year? don't watch a lot of kings - games are too late. numbers obviously down. showing signs of promise or disappointing to date?

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
what's the story with PLD so far this year? don't watch a lot of kings - games are too late. numbers obviously down. showing signs of promise or disappointing to date?
His PP numbers are way down, just not producing there. Some of it is unfamiliarity and some of it is how he is being deployed in a new role. Plus, he went from a top option to a powerplay with many other guys who can score. His 5v5 scoring is on pace for the 2nd highest in his career, so he's doing OK there.

He's still looking a bit lost out there, but improving. You can see he's thinking less and reacting more as time goes on. His defense is OK, about the same as it's always been. He started really slow on faceoffs but has been moving towards 50% for about the last month or so. You can tell he's working on it.

I don't know if it would be fair to call him a disappointment yet, but you could certainly say his power play production has been disappointing, as well as the time it's taking him to adjust.

JeanBlanc

Jul 8, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
ChatGPT Summary with links to the YouTube video. Great stuff!
  • 0:00: Introduction of Pierre-Luc Dubois
    • Pierre-Luc Dubois, wearing jersey number 80, is introduced as a forward for the LA Kings.
  • 0:14: Discussion on Dubois' Height and Physicality
    • There's a humorous exchange about Dubois' height, a factor in his physical presence on the ice. He mentions potentially growing a bit over the summer, with a light-hearted debate on whether he is 6'3" or 6'4".
  • 0:50: Office Trivia and Hockey Crossover
    • Dubois participates in trivia about "The Office" TV show, linking it to hockey through a Scranton Penguins jersey featured in the show.
  • 2:08: Adapting to Life in LA
    • Dubois talks about adjusting to life in Los Angeles, including adapting to new routines which could influence his on-ice performance and training.
  • 3:00: Lifestyle Changes Impacting Game Preparation
    • Mentions changes in daily activities such as grocery shopping, driving, etc., which are part of adapting to a new team environment.
  • 3:18: Celebrity Sightings in LA
    • Dubois recounts seeing various celebrities, indicating the different atmosphere and distractions in Los Angeles compared to other NHL cities.
  • 4:01: Encounters with Will Ferrell
    • Talks about seeing Will Ferrell at a game, highlighting the unique LA culture and its potential influence on team spirit and morale.
  • 4:07: Navigating LA Traffic and Impact on Game Day Routine
    • Discusses the challenge of navigating LA traffic, which is critical for game-day preparation and mental state.
  • 5:02: Freeway and Travel Strategies
    • Conversation about strategies for dealing with LA traffic, indicative of adapting to logistical challenges that can affect game-day readiness.
  • 5:40: Personal Preferences and Adjustments
    • Dubois shares his food preferences, including unusual combinations, showing personal adaptability and openness, traits beneficial for team integration.
  • 6:42: Pre-Game Routines
    • He discusses his non-superstitious nature and pre-game routines like listening to music, which play a part in his mental preparation for games.
  • 7:07: Unique Food Choices Relating to Cultural Background
    • More discussion on his food choices that reflect his French Canadian heritage, illustrating the cultural diversity within the team.
  • 8:06: On-Ice Chemistry with Kevin Fiala
    • Talks about building chemistry with teammate Kevin Fiala, crucial for on-ice performance and team dynamics.
  • 9:00: Skirmishes and Team Dynamics
    • Comments on a skirmish during a game and the reaction of a rookie teammate, highlighting aspects of team solidarity and on-ice strategy.
  • 10:58: Reflections on Joining the Kings and Long-Term Vision
    • Reflects on joining the Kings and not thinking too far ahead, focusing on immediate game strategies and team integration.
  • 11:24: Anticipating Playing Against Former Team (Winnipeg Jets)
    • Dubois anticipates playing against his former team, the Winnipeg Jets, which could affect his performance due to personal connections.
  • 12:36: Game-Day Music Preferences
    • He shares his music preferences for game-day, linking to mental preparation and focus.
  • 13:34: Impressions of Crypto.com Arena
    • Discusses his impressions of playing in the Crypto.com Arena, including the atmosphere and fan engagement, which are integral to home-game performance.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
His PP numbers are way down, just not producing there. Some of it is unfamiliarity and some of it is how he is being deployed in a new role. Plus, he went from a top option to a powerplay with many other guys who can score. His 5v5 scoring is on pace for the 2nd highest in his career, so he's doing OK there.

He's still looking a bit lost out there, but improving. You can see he's thinking less and reacting more as time goes on. His defense is OK, about the same as it's always been. He started really slow on faceoffs but has been moving towards 50% for about the last month or so. You can tell he's working on it.

I don't know if it would be fair to call him a disappointment yet, but you could certainly say his power play production has been disappointing, as well as the time it's taking him to adjust.
Are you trying to sell him like a used car?

He has been a massive disappointment and has regressed since training camp. 4 points in his last 10, extremely low compete level, invisible most nights. He has been arguably the teams least impactful player - the only competition being a career AHL/13th forward in Anderson-Dolan, who at least competes.

I have watched him throughout his career, this seasons efforts are on par with the worst points of his career.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

He has been a massive disappointment and has regressed since training camp. 4 points in his last 10, extremely low compete level, invisible most nights. He has been arguably the teams least impactful player - the only competition being a career AHL/13th forward in Anderson-Dolan, who at least competes.

I have watched him throughout his career, this seasons efforts are on par with the worst points of his career.
I'm curious when those who aren't disappointed or concerned yet will reach that threshold.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Pierre Luc Dubois discusses how’s he’s adapting to his new breathing pattern in So-Cal and how’s it’s maximized his grocery shopping potential. From being able to only carrying a pathetic 3 bags per trip to the car, he’s now upped it to 6. He’s been training with Kings strength and conditioning coach to strengthen is thumb muscle as much as possible so he can hit an unheard of 7 bags per trip.

When asked about his production and effort Pierre responded by saying “I don’t care” shutting down any of those who question his commitment.

Reactions: chris kontos

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I've seen PLD play great hockey.

I've also seen him play like he doesn't care.

A lot of times when guys get a change of scenery their game pops. They come out hungry with a renewed energy and get hot. I thought that's what we might get out of the gate with PLD. I'm kind of shocked just how lackadaisical he's looked; not that I haven't seen it before, I just didn't expect it right away with a new team.

He also looks a bit out of shape to me. But that's pure speculation. It's difficult to differentiate that from half-ass effort sometimes.

What's baffling is that the game of hockey seems to come to him so easily. The game slows down for him. He has incredible physical attributes. Even when giving a half hearted effort most nights his on ice impact still comes out slightly positive most of the time. If he actually plays the way he's capable of, this team becomes a contender (assuming they get good goaltending).

I wish I could put Blake Lizotte's head on PLD's body.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
I've seen PLD play great hockey.

I've also seen him play like he doesn't care.

A lot of times when guys get a change of scenery their game pops. They come out hungry with a renewed energy and get hot. I thought that's what we might get out of the gate with PLD. I'm kind of shocked just how lackadaisical he's looked; not that I haven't seen it before, I just didn't expect it right away with a new team.

He also looks a bit out of shape to me. But that's pure speculation. It's difficult to differentiate that from half-ass effort sometimes.

What's baffling is that the game of hockey seems to come to him so easily. The game slows down for him. He has incredible physical attributes. Even when giving a half hearted effort most nights his on ice impact still comes out slightly positive most of the time. If he actually plays the way he's capable of, this team becomes a contender (assuming they get good goaltending).

I wish I could put Blake Lizotte's head on PLD's body.
If Dubois gets a step on a defender, he is excellent at shielding the puck and turning it into a solid chance. He can carry opponents on his back and still get a great opportunity.

The problem is that he isn't getting that step, and doesn't seem terribly interested in ever pushing the pace of the game. And if he is stripped of the puck or forced to engage in a battle, right now he is losing them and lacking any kind of second effort at all.

He isn't snake bitten, there just aren't any chances at all. It comes across as lazy and disinterested.

Now, if we found out that he is nursing a sore groin or shoulder and something is preventing him from that effort, fine, but we KNOW that this kind of play has earned him a reputation that has followed him into a third organization. He is just the wrong kind of player to commit to for 8 years.

The good news is that he is playing within the system and isn't a cancerous outlier like Kovalchuk or Roenick. He is apparently well-liked and I think it was an excellent idea to bring in a player of his age range to fill in the life experience gap between the kids and the gray bearded Cup core. Looks like PLD and Byfield are becoming buddies in a way that would have been very difficult for Quentin to bond with Kopitar or Doughty. And if he is helping Byfield grow into the player he can be - and the Kings need him to be - that sure helps offset the 4 or 5 missing points he is off from his career pace.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
He does kind of give the appearance of someone who was just naturally gifted the attributes and capability to saunter into the NHL, but never acquired the passion for the game. He would much rather be off reading on some beach not thinking about hockey at all.

Of course, that is a shallow judgment, but that is the impression I get from him. It was just an easy option to play hockey and get rich and he played the cards he was dealt but didn't love it. It would be like a gorgeous introverted girl who hates fame and attention creating an Instagram account, throwing down a CashApp, and advertising sponsored products because it is just easy and available to do.

He is starting to concern me, in the sense of what if things don't keep rolling and what if that contract turns into a boat anchor, but the Kings are in a lucky position where his lackadaisical play is sheltered on the third line and can come in handy against weaker competition or draw the attention and resources of the team needing to defend or calculate against him. But he does need to step it up. His skillset is way too rich to not be able to elevate a couple of players and make things happen. Especially against the competition he faces.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW

Nah, I'm frustrated with the guy as well but it's not all terrible. It took him a good while to acclimate in Winnipeg too. But something certainly isn't right. He's never been a burner but his feet aren't moving nearly as much as they usually do. Maybe he's pissed because he was going to be playing between good players and now he's between a couple 4th line talents, who knows. But he's got to get it sorted.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA

Did ya forget Laferriere was on the team? You might have, because he's been invisible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad