PlayStation Showcase |OT| May 24th, 1PM PST

Rate the showcase:

• Total voters

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
I thought it looked fine but i would agree with the lack of release date. At this point in the year it's noncommittal of them to just say Fall.
Plus it seems more games get delayed than released on time these days. Whether it comes out Fall or 2024 or whenever, I hope the game is great and builds off the 2018 one :)

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Accidentally voted for "good" originally lol.

The one thing that I did like was the "Project Q" handheld system. I've been using the PS Remote App pretty regularly over the past year and it actually works pretty well. I'd love a dedicated handheld for this that could run games better.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Accidentally voted for "good" originally lol.

The one thing that I did like was the "Project Q" handheld system. I've been using the PS Remote App pretty regularly over the past year and it actually works pretty well. I'd love a dedicated handheld for this that could run games better.
They're going after Backbone with this. Backbone doesn't work across the board with PS games like it does with Xbox games.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
They're going after Backbone with this. Backbone doesn't work across the board with PS games like it does with Xbox games.
Yep that was my first thought. Based off of what I’ve seen this is going to pretty much bury Backbone for PS usage.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Character models and graphics look like PS4 and the combat seemed laggy and unfinished.

Maybe, for some odd reason, they showed a super early build of the game, but I bet it will get delayed.

It was also odd to not announce the release date when Fall is right around the corner.
Tbh it looked good to me. I don’t think they completely re-did the engine but you can’t do that if you’re releasing a new game every 2 years.

Reactions: 93LEAFS

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
This show should have been 20-25 minutes long. If they showed Spiderman, Alan Wake 2, MGS, Assassins Creed, Dragons Dogma 2, and Ghostrunner 2 and called it a state of play i think this would have been well received. Instead they hyped the show up as "phase 2" of the PS5 and put in 45 minutes of filler.

Reactions: 93LEAFS

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This show should have been 20-25 minutes long. If they showed Spiderman, Alan Wake 2, MGS, Assassins Creed, Dragons Dogma 2, and Ghostrunner 2 and called it a state of play i think this would have been well received. Instead they hyped the show up as "phase 2" of the PS5 and put in 45 minutes of filler.
Yeah, in my opinion too many of the major Sony studios who are the lifeblood of the company, who for many put out the must buy AAA experiences that drive the brand were absent. Like, I totally get Guerilla and Santa Monica not being there as they recently released major games. But, I think many were hoping to atleast see what Naughty Dog and/or Sucker Punch were up to. Those 4 and Insomniac were the driving forces for the PS4 gen.

While Sony usually does well with their AAA studios, Haven and Firewalk are both completely unknown, and those two games were lynchpins of this presentation, and I really know nothing about those games. From what we saw you can't really tell what those games are. Fairgame$ looked like a co-op cover shooter themed around Heists, so maybe its Sony's attempt to make a Gears of War style game, but who knows. It's supposed to be live-service. Concord I have no idea what it's about or supposed to be outside it has a space theme. Spider-Man I thought looked great.

Sort of surprised Sony knowing what they were showing was probably unlikely to set the world on fire didn't lean into their two major games slated for 2024 in FF VII: Rebirth and Wolverine. Maybe those games aren't in a state where they can show gameplay, but they probably could have put out a longer CGI trailer. Sony has a ridiculous amount of talent, so I'm sure over this gen there will be quite a few must-play experiences, but we really saw nothing from the studios that drive that outside of Insomniac.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Gotta say, I was pretty bored.

There were a few interesting, quirky things in there but for the most part....yikes.

Maybe Metal Gear would be interesting if I had played the series, but alas I have not.

I enjoyed the webbing/swinging mechanics from Spider-Man on PS4. It carried an otherwise well made but generally generic game. Sort of like an assassin's creed bolted on to something far more interesting.

Unfortunately, while I was initially interested in the sequel, it was about halfway through that trailer I kind of lost my enthusiasm....we'll have to see how I feel when it releases.

Plucky Squire is probably my most anticipated game of the bunch, but it was a follow-up to something I already knew was coming.

Overall, this was a pretty mundane showcase that I really could have done without spending the hour watching.

Reactions: JimmyApples

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
One thing that really got glossed over, which is understandable since it'll literally be 10 years since the first one came out by the time the sequel is released. Helldivers 2. The original Helldivers was one of the best drop-in co-op games I've ever played, each upgrade and unlock totally changed the way the game was played. I'm interested to see what they do with the sequel or if it was just lightning in a bottle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad