Playoffs?

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
The habs are up 6pts, but the wings have 2 games in hand on the habs, who are sitting outside the wild card picture in 9th place.

The east is very tight this year, so how do you think the playoff picture will shape up?

Boston
Montreal
Detroit

Penguins
Rangers
Philly

Toronto
Blue Jackets

* I think the caps make it if they win both against the pens monday, tuesday.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
It's going to be a lot closer than most people think... With Price back, chances should be better and I hope Vanek can develop some chemistry with Plekanec soon, because there isn't much space for error.

The good news... the habs have their own faith in their hands...

MathMan

Jan 20, 2006
At this stage there are too many teams that would need to pass the Habs to make falling out likely at all.

They're not likely to do well once there, but they'll be there.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
At this stage there are too many teams that would need to pass the Habs to make falling out likely at all.

They're not likely to do well once there, but they'll be there.

You realize that most of these teams have been playing much better hockey than the habs in the last months, right ? They're on a roll...

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
You realize that most of these teams have been playing much better hockey than the habs in the last months, right ? They're on a roll...

Not really... The Caps have no defense, the Sens just lost to CGY, the leafs have no defense or depth, the Red Wings are without Datsyuk and Zetterberg, and Tampa lost a PPG player.

The East is incredibly weak. This team will make the playoffs.

MathMan

Jan 20, 2006

Yes, I know that. But the Habs will only fall out if they get passed by six teams -- all of which would need to have a better, in some cases significantly better, record than the Habs.

It's likely that some of them will, but it's very unlikely that all of them will. And some of these teams aren't good. The Leafs for example, have been riding their goaltending and percentages even harder than the Habs have. There are few worse possession clubs than the Habs but among those are two of those chasing clubs are.

But ultimately it boils down to too many teams and not enough runway. Give each and every one of those teams a 75% chance to pass the Habs in the last 16-18 games (extremely generous) and the Habs still make the playoffs 82% of the time.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Yes, I know that. But the Habs will only fall out if they get passed by six teams -- all of which would need to have a better, in some cases significantly better, record than the Habs.

It's likely that some of them will, but it's very unlikely that all of them will. And some of these teams aren't good. The Leafs for example, have been riding their goaltending and percentages even harder than the Habs have. There are few worse possession clubs than the Habs but among those are two of those chasing clubs are.

But ultimately it boils down to too many teams and not enough runway. Give each and every one of those teams a 75% chance to pass the Habs in the last 16-18 games (extremely generous) and the Habs still make the playoffs 82% of the time.

Who's the other worse possession team? Caps?

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Playoffs? ... Playoffs? I just hope we can win a game!

Was hoping to be the first to post that. :(

jimmora.jpeg

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

Not really

Habs are 6-3-1 in the last 10

Detroit is 5-3-2
Ottawa is 4-5-1
Columbus and Washington are 6-3-1
NJ is 5-3-2.

IMO Washington is the team to check specially if Kuznetzov get used to small ice and NA lifestyle quickly.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Flyers. To be fair, the Caps are practically tied with the Habs.

That's weird I figured a team with Giroux, Simmonds, Voracek, Lecavalier, B. Schenn, Hartnell, Couts would be at least a better possession team then the Habs. I assume its their defense that is anchoring them?

The East is kind of crappy.

Slight understatement :laugh:

MathMan

Jan 20, 2006
That's weird I figured a team with Giroux, Simmonds, Voracek, Lecavalier, B. Schenn, Hartnell, Couts would be at least a better possession team then the Habs. I assume its their defense that is anchoring them?

Probably, yes. Timonen is great but he can only do so much.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
As of right now, the last wildcard team is on pace for 91 points. That means MTL needs 15 points in their last 16 games to beat that.

The only games we have left against teams significantly better than us are 2 against Boston, one against the Avalanche and one against Chicago.

We also have 2 games against Buffalo, one against Florida and one against NYI which should be at least 6 points. I'm not that worried about making the playoffs.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
With the road trip from hell finally over and Price coming back, things should get substantially better. I don't see the team falling out of contention, maybe as a wild card at worst. Beat the Bruins on Wednesday and things will look a lot brighter.

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
I think we are just a couple of losses away from a poster stating he hopes we miss the playoffs so that we can keep our 2nd rd pick :sarcasm:

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
7 wins out of our last 16 would get us to:

91pts. Seems like it would be a number to get into the playoffs as the teams out of the playoffs need to do some catching up to stay with the pack atleast.

We can still probably make it under .500 hockey down the stretch.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
We have 77 pts, meaning that we probably finish with 96 or so points, probably less if Price can't play.

Toronto would also finish with 96 pts if they play like they did all year.
TB with 95 pts.
Detroit with 91 pts.
CBJ with 91 pts
Wash with 88 pts
NJ with 87 pts

It is still close.

dkd

May 4, 2012
Canada
We can beat any team on a given day and then lose to Buffalo the day after. We'll have to live and see.

HabsRockBruinsChoke

Jul 30, 2013
Playoffs line up:

Vanek - Plekanec - Briere
Pacioretty - DD - Gallagher
Galchenyuk - Eller - Gionta
Prust - White - Bourque
Moen, Bournival - - Parros, Weise

Markov - Emelin
Gorges - Subban
Tinordi - Weaver
Murray - Beaulieu

Price
Budaj
Dubnyk
Tokarski

Honestly, we are so prepared for the potential injuries that might happen... I mean we have 4 extra F, 2 extra D, and 2 extra G

Future is bright :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad