Playoffs: whom to cheer, whom to jeer

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
I don't understand the frequent dislike of Vegas. Is it because they're a new franchise that already won the Cup?

Everybody is free to feel how they choose. But I see a team 1) with a very aggressive GM, 2) constructed with depth scoring instead of with an elite superstar(s), and 3) located in a town literally built for entertainment.

I'd sooner hope that Detroit follows the Vegas model in the latter portion of the rebuild than cheer against the Golden Knights. But again, to each their own.

They got handed a Cup ready team with a free salary structure and got handed a free top line while I had to see the Wings drill their roster down to Alex Biega being a top 4 D.

And I greatly dislike the "Oh, LTIR and we're all back for the playoffs." Hated when Chicago did it, Hated when TB did it and hate it when LV does it.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
They got handed a Cup ready team with a free salary structure and got handed a free top line while I had to see the Wings drill their roster down to Alex Biega being a top 4 D.

And I greatly dislike the "Oh, LTIR and we're all back for the playoffs." Hated when Chicago did it, Hated when TB did it and hate it when LV does it.

sounds like you should be mad at Florida and Columbus then

Florida straight up wanted them to pick Marchessault and traded them Reilly Smith to make sure they did

same with Columbus and Karlsson, they gave Vegas a 1st and a 2nd to pick him

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
sounds like you should be mad at Florida and Columbus then

Florida straight up wanted them to pick Marchessault and traded them Reilly Smith to make sure they did

same with Columbus and Karlsson, they gave Vegas a 1st and a 2nd to pick him

yeah, that expansion draft was really an exercise in seeing what GMs should be fired. So many stupid decisions that just dumped talent into Vegas for....reasons?

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Rooting for Edmonton because it would be criminal if a player like McDavid doesn't get a cup at some point.

On a side note, I hope Toronto gets dealt with in the first round so maybe they'll part with one of their top players and we get a shot at something this offseason.

Reactions: Steve Yzerlland

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Rooting for Edmonton because it would be criminal if a player like McDavid doesn't get a cup at some point.

On a side note, I hope Toronto gets dealt with in the first round so maybe they'll part with one of their top players and we get a shot at something this offseason.
I'm conflicted I usually root for the leafs to lose but I hate Boston for that shit show against Washington last week

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009

OMG, I'd be so pissed if this were the Wings. Seems like that would happen to Petry most likely.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
Why doesn't Yzerman have players that can do this?!?!?!??!

FIRE LaPOINTE! Fire BETTMAN! Fire the hot chick that twirls the octopi!!!! Fire Ashish! (Sorry Ashish - you got caught in the excitement.) Fire the Belle Tire girl!!!!

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
All four teams in the Atlantic have high expectations. Two will be eliminated in the first round with lots of questions to answer. Possible firings, major trades, etc. Heck, even the team that goes out in the 2nd round will get much heat.

Same thing with the eventual NYR vs. Carolina winner. One of those teams isn't getting past the second round and heads may roll.

The Eastern Conference is very stacked at the top with contenders. The other teams (including Detroit right now) are fighting for scraps.

I'm cheering for McDavid to have a deep playoff run.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Goin with Rangers in the east and Edmonton in the west. McDavid deserves a f***in cup.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
If I were smart enough to know which teams in the playoffs had players that would be a good fit for the Wings, I'd be rooting for them all to lose in the first round to increase the chances they blow things up.

Reactions: DatsDeking

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Tampa is my secondary. I like Winnipeg and Edmonton. Honestly, Colorado is so entertaining that I like them too. The rivalry years are long enough ago that this team doesn't feel related anymore.

I dislike the Panthers as the NHL's current villain team. Just the way our games went against them this year left a bad taste in my mouth. I don't want Vegas to repeat and I resent the luck that went into the Rangers team building.

Everyone else I'm cool with.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
I'm down with a cold so watched the end of Isles Canes, then Panthers Lightning, now watching Bruins Leafs.

It's strange to watch so many hockey games in a row where you want both teams to lose.
Didn't we spend most of the final few weeks of the season doing exactly that? :P

But seriously, while both teams losing would've been great, watching the Isles and Bolts will their way to a game five was kinda weak. I hope the Rangers can eliminate the Caps tomorrow.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Matthews post game interview…

1714291001343.jpeg

On a more serious note - watching the Leafs screw the pooch yet again gives me hope that Detroit will have a shot at winning it all.

• Haha
Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Toronto's problems
1..Mathews is nowhere near as good as Marchand
2. Leafs goalies nowhere near as good Swayman
3. Leafs coaching nowhere near as good as Bruins

That's it...plain and simple

And some serious team chemistry issues. There's the clip of Nylander on the bench telling either Matthews or Marner (I'm guessing Marner) to "stop f***ing crying bro, this isn't f***ing junior hockey."

I know he scored a great goal last night but I would not want Marner for any amount of money. The dude cannot spell compete or realgud.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad