Playoffs format: positive point for Montreal

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
People tend to complain about the odds of Montreal going far in the playoffs, considering that teams like Washington, Pittsburg, Colombus and the NYRangers are ahead of them in terms of talent.

Well, the thruth is that they will only need to face one of these teams prior to the third round if they manage to reach that third round.

Here's how the playoffs tree would look like if the playoffs had to start today:
On one side:
WAS-TOR
PIT-CBS
On the other:
MTL-NYR
OTT-BOS

With 20 games left to fix that team strategy and roster, I feel that reaching the third round is not impossible. From there, who knows where the team could go.

My 2 cents.

Uncle Gary

Apr 12, 2014
Nothing I've seen this year has indicated to me that this team can go that far. I mean the only way to know for sure is to let the situation unfold, but I doubt we make it that far.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
All it does is masks bigger problems

We lose the division, but because of it we catch let's say Boston or Toronto, we win and make it to the 2nd round and all these poor believe keep believing that the team is headed in the right direction while Molson pockets more money for home games and doesn't need to make any changes!

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
In 1993, the Islanders eliminated in 7 games Pittsburg, who one the SC twice before. They were so exausted right after it that Montreal beat them in 4. I could see a similar scenario unfold this year. Let's just hope that the Rangers will stay where they are... I would prefer to have them in the mix than Pittsburg or Columbus.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
We can beat NYR, and any one of Ott, Bos, or Toronto.

CBus would be tough

Washington and Pittsburgh are a pipe dream to beat, but maybe we get a David Volek moment.

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site

CBus would be tough

Washington and Pittsburgh are a pipe dream to beat, but maybe we get a David Volek moment.
Hahaha, I remember that goal like if it was yesterday... ;-)

Seriously, guys like Benn, Shaw etc. will have a bigger on the team then they will till the end of the season.

I like seeing our team as the underdog... but wouldn't be surprised to see it go far. Julien just needs to get the puzzle back in place for the playoffs.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

CBus would be tough

It was also a pipe dream for us during the 2010 playoffs yet we beat both back to back.

The truth is we can beat any team in a 7 game series simply because of Price. What we can't do is beat 4 teams back to back in a 7 games series without having other players step up big.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

CBus would be tough

After watching Halak shutdown Washington and Pittsburgh, I never rule out any miracles. Price could do the same thing if he's healthy.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
According to the current format... and looking at probables as it stands right now...

If the Habs finish 1st in the Atlantic:

1st Round: It's going to probably be the NYR. It might be the Blue Jackets but they are 1pt ahead with 2 games in hand. Either team is a very difficult 1st round opponent and all depends on who the real Habs are and how they finish the season.

2nd Round: It's going to be one of the 3 (Sens, Bruins, or Leafs). If the Habs can magically get through the 1st round healthy, they have arguably an "easier" match up in the 2nd round.

Eastern Conference Finals: They will face the winner out of the Metro division and it's probably the Pens or Caps. You heard it hear first but I predict whoever this team is, they are going to be beat up with many injuries.

Stanley Cup Finals: Take your pick at who comes out of the West.

If the Habs Finish 2nd or 3rd in the Atlantic:

1st Round: It's either the Sens, Leafs or Bruins.

2nd Round: It's either the Sens, Leafs, Bruins, or the NYR/Blue Jackets.

Eastern Conference Finals and Stanley Cup Finals: Same as if they finish 1st in the Atlantic (See above).

Can the Habs beat 2 teams from the list of (Sens, Leafs, Bruins, NYR/ Blue Jackets) and reach the final 4? I say yes sir! Blue Jackets are the team the scares me the most but they lack play off experience. Then it's the Sens/NYR. Then it's the Bruins/Leafs. If CJ can get this team playing a better brand of Hockey in March and through April... Many people will be speaking a different tune about how far this Habs team can go once the playoffs come!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

CBus would be tough

I think the very same about all the above. What people have to realize is how banged up the winner of the Metro is going to be. They will have 2 very difficult rounds to get through and if the Pens and Caps face off in the Metro finals... I predict there will be many injures as that's going to be a battle and fun to watch!

Also... Image a Pens and Blue Jackets 1st round! Pens want 1st place... trust me!

I would hate this but can one of the NYR or Blue Jackets come out of the Atlantic? It's possible!

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
If you watched Montreal games that was always his assignments.

He's doing it in Nashville now. Kept Ovechkin to no shots recently.

Subban wasn't even on the team until game 6 or 7 of the first round, Gorges and Gill were the shutdown pair with Hamrlik and Spacek also pulling their weight. Subban had 2 career NHL games at that point.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Subban wasn't even on the team until game 6 or 7 of the first round, Gorges and Gill were the shutdown pair with Hamrlik and Spacek also pulling their weight. Subban had 2 career NHL games at that point.

They don't have any of them either.

Who is the shutdown guys now? Emelin and Weber? Hahaha!

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
habs could could conceivably get through combo of NY/Ott/Bos BUT once in conference final, don't see them beating pitt or Was even though habs have history of doing it. price would have to play OUT of his mind

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad