GDT: Playoffs-Around The League Episode VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
BoyntBergie
Gryba will be suspended for at least a game just because the league doesn't want a gong show tonight in MTL. Let him return for 3 and 4 in Ottawa, then by the time the return to MTL rolls around for 5, maybe things have cooled off a bit.

Not saying I agree with this at all, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is how the league handles it.

Exactly. The league is going to control this situation as much as they can. No way he gets off scott free, whether you think the hit was clean or not.

BoyntBergie

Mar 9, 2004
Posted this in the other thread, but of course it got closed 2 seconds later (I seem to have a propensity for that). Here's how I bet it goes down:

Gryba will be suspended for at least a game just because the league doesn't want a gong show tonight in MTL. Let him return for 3 and 4 in Ottawa, then by the time the return to MTL rolls around for 5, maybe things have cooled off a bit.

Not saying I agree with this at all, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is how the league handles it.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Habs and Canucks orgs and fans are whining already. LOVE it.

BoyntBergie

Mar 9, 2004
Exactly. The league is going to control this situation as much as they can. No way he gets off scott free, whether you think the hit was clean or not.

Sort of how Rome was suspended- they didn't want him coming back that series and having a free for all in the finals.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Sort of how Rome was suspended- they didn't want him coming back that series and having a free for all in the finals.

Rome's hit was a LONG time after Horton gave up the puck. That was clearly illegal.

I'm of the opinion the league does nothing on this. It's simply not an illegal hit and you can't find a way to make it illegal. He should play and if he doesn't it's BS.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Just a couple of things on this. First off, the league is all about handing down judgements based on injury, never mind whether it was a clean hit or not. In this case, the guy got his face broken. Second is that Eller was unconscious before he hit the ice. I'm not a doctor (wait, am I a doctor?), but I'd imagine it's pretty hard to get knocked out without taking a head shot. Third, Shannahan loves to use the term predatory hit. In this case, despite there being contradictory evidence on whether it was a head shot, the guy got hurt, and he never saw it coming. All that equals Gryba getting a vacation, IMO. I'd be shocked if he didn't.

The league is NOT about handing down suspensions based on injury. Most of the time, they use whether or not a player was injured on the play as one factor in deciding the suspension.

It can't be Gryba's responsibility to ensure that he makes eye contact with the person hits before he hits him. "Predatory"? My ass. Then every single open-ice hit is "predatory" as well and you may as well make the play an illegal one.

Gryba's intent was a clean, hard, open-ice hit to the chest of a player receiving a bad pass. You start making the players of this league second-guess that intent and you wreck the sport... OR (that's dramatic) you compromise something really good about it.

Mr. Make-Believe

Whether the hit is clean or not is WHY you deem it worthy of punishment.

I guess... Well, you think it's a dirty hit, don't you? I don't know. I don't uh... I guess it just surprises me, dude.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Whether the hit is clean or not is WHY you deem it worthy of punishment.

I guess... Well, you think it's a dirty hit, don't you? I don't know. I don't uh... I guess it just surprises me, dude.

I think it's close enough to dirty that the league will do something about it. I personally said earlier that I didn't have an issue with the hit either. My first reaction to the hit was that it was clean, but after seeing the major called, and Eller getting badly hurt, I fully believe the league will suspend. That's pretty much it.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
I don't think the hit was dirty but it would not shock me to see a suspension because you never know where the wheel of justice will stop in the NHL.

on another note I wonder if no hab's responded to the hit with a fight because they didn't know if they should fight the Sen's player or the idiot Hab player for making that dumbass pass to a teammate.

But then I realized its the Hab's there would be no fight either way.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I don't think the hit was dirty but it would not shock me to see a suspension because you never know where the wheel of justice will stop in the NHL.

on another note I wonder if no hab's responded to the hit with a fight because they didn't know if they should fight the Sen's player or the idiot Hab player for making that dumbass pass to a teammate.

It doesn't really send a message to have a Habbie glide over to challenge Gryba and then turtle as soon as the gloves come off. :naughty:

Mr. Make-Believe

The true culprit of the play is Diaz. And brain farts are not suspendable offenses, sadly.

BoyntBergie

Mar 9, 2004
Rome's hit was a LONG time after Horton gave up the puck. That was clearly illegal.

I'm of the opinion the league does nothing on this. It's simply not an illegal hit and you can't find a way to make it illegal. He should play and if he doesn't it's BS.

Not comparing the severity of the hits, rather the deliberation of the league in doling out suspensions to control retribution.

Let's put it this way- the hit happened in game 3, Rome gets 4 games. If it had happened in game 2, I bet you he'd have got 5.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
An interesting analysis by Justin Bourne:

I like to think I’m a fairly progressive guy, but just because Lars Eller doesn’t know Gryba is pinching doesn’t mean Gryba shouldn’t be allowed to hit him. In that instance, it’s on Eller to try to make the breakout, not be given it (well actually, in this case it’s on Rafael Diaz to not make the pass, but I think you get what I’m saying). If the policy was that you can’t hit guys who don’t expect to be hit, the least aware players among us get rewarded. That’s not how the Darwinian evolution of professional athletes plays out.

You can debate the contact all you want. You can decide for yourself whether you think he should be suspended or not. But it’s not up for debate whether Gryba should’ve stepped up and made the hit. He made a great read, and was aiming to stop a team breaking out. It’s just unfortunate it played out the way it did.

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2013/...-not-just-the-right-play-it-was-a-great-play/

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH

Pretty much EXACTLY how I feel about it.

It was basically an unfortunate incident where everything came together with a result of someone getting hurt. No one was really at fault. It just.. happens. It's a fast sport.

Eller didn't have enough time to make sure he wasn't in a bad position to get hit
Gryba was trying to stop a break out
Diaz was trying to help start a break out.

Everyone did their job exactly how it should be done. Player A passes, Player B receives pass, Player C hits player B. Nothing dirty. Just an unfortunate outcome. It happens.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Interesting, Lyndon Byers of all people on TSN radio saying he thinks Gryba should be gone for rest of the series.

Bad Hat Harry

Michael Scarn
Sep 27, 2010
Boston, MA
Interesting, Lyndon Byers of all people on TSN radio saying he thinks Gryba should be gone for rest of the series.

The rest of the series? Even Rome's hit on Horton only got him 4 games, and that was clearly a head shot.

Gryba made clean body contact but was unfortunate because Eller's head was what broke his fall to the ice.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...s-cheat-and-are-allowed-to-cheat-in-faceoffs/

Someone on here posted this, but I want to re-post this.

He is a loser. He has always been a loser. And his whining and his GMs whining were two of the biggest factors that get lost in what happened in the Finals during 2011.

The whole team followed their leaders right down Loserville Road, off a cliff. This type of petty, childish, stupid, *****-whining is what helped lead to Luongo's tire-pumping fiasco. They don't get it.

****ing losers.

Losers. Losers. Losers.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
The rest of the series? Even Rome's hit on Horton only got him 4 games, and that was clearly a head shot.

Gryba made clean body contact but was unfortunate because Eller's head was what broke his fall to the ice.

I agree ... Byers argument was that Gryba knew that there was at least a 50% chance he gets him in the head, and he does it anyways. Could have let up and still made contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad