Playoff series: Toronto vs. Montreal. Who takes it?

Toronto vs. Montreal.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
does he just score all his goals 5v5? because his totals are not very high

Most of them, over the past 3 seasons he's 5th in total 5-on-5 goals and 2nd in 5-on-5 goals/60 minutes, barely behind Matthews (1.52 vs. 1.48)

The guys ahead of him in total goals are Matthews, McDavid, Draisaitl, Ovechkin, and they all play 3 or 4 minutes more at 5-on-5 time per game.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
No I don’t, playoff wise
Playoffs or no playoffs the wingers the leafs have are a lot better. This whole thing about how playoffs are a different game than hockey is weird and even if it is, considering there are less pens called in the playoffs, suits our guys just fine.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
You think they're going to outscore Matthews/Marner/Tavares? It's fair enough that you've pointed out you've got some guys who can score some goals. But who on the Habs is going to outscore their counterpart on the Leafs?

Columbus seemed to do just fine without having anyone on matthews', marner's or jt's level.

And price >> any goalie Columbus had.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Columbus seemed to do just fine without having anyone on matthews', marner's or jt's level.

So you really think a goalie will post a 970 again in a series? Cus thats what it'd take. And we still beat the bjs. Their goaltending was phenomenal - so if you say well I think price will put up a 970 against the leafs then yeah no shit the habs probably win.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa

Columbus scored 12 goals in 5 games, 2 of them empty netters, they barely scraped by They got .952 goaltending too; just a .930 and the Leafs win that series. Carey Price has had a better career than either Korpisalo or Merzlikins will, he even went nuts last playoffs too. But I've been able to watch Carey Price on my TV this year too and Mr. .901 sv% isn't looking like he's trending in that direction. Columbus earned their win and their upset, it counts with no asterisks. But it's ridiculous to sell their goalies short, they were utterly brilliant.

Upsets are always possible. For the Habs against the Leafs, an upset is going to take .950 goaltending.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
So you really think a goalie will post a 970 again in a series? Cus thats what it'd take. And we still beat the bjs. Their goaltending was phenomenal - so if you say well I think price will put up a 970 against the leafs then yeah no shit the habs probably win.

Where are you getting 0.970 sv % from?

0.956 for korpisalo and 0.946 for merzlikins during the leafs series.

Career: 0.905 for korpisalo and 0.920 for merzlikins

The leafs pay ~55 million to there forwards (~40 million to 4 players)

The jackets paid just over 2 mil for their goalies.

The fact the leafs overpaid offense couldn't beat such a paltry goalie pairing is not a good sign going forward.

Also lol no we did not beat the bjs. That would imply we moved on to the actual playoffs. How do you convince yourself that we won when we very clearly didn't?

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
Now compare assists

Should be fun. Or are we just going to pretend like the Leafs duo isn’t playmakers?

funny how Marner has 59 points and Toffoli and Anderson have a combined 60 and some how to that guy, them having more goals makes them better players? lol. and thats not even including Nylander production

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
Columbus scored 12 goals in 5 games, 2 of them empty netters, they barely scraped by They got .952 goaltending too; just a .930 and the Leafs win that series. Carey Price has had a better career than either Korpisalo or Merzlikins will, he even went nuts last playoffs too. But I've been able to watch Carey Price on my TV this year too and Mr. .901 sv% isn't looking like he's trending in that direction. Columbus earned their win and their upset, it counts with no asterisks. But it's ridiculous to sell their goalies short, they were utterly brilliant.

Upsets are always possible. For the Habs against the Leafs, an upset is going to take .950 goaltending.

You seem a tad bit to over confident.

I remember last year many leaf fans thought we would steam roll the jackets and as well all know, that did not happen.

Our offense failed last year. We played against 2 average goalies on a team that had just lost its 1C, 1W and starting goalie. Yet we turned those 2 into all stars.

Also, no an upset will not require a .950 sv %.

How do some leaf fans get so cocky with zero proven success? Its honestly amazing.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa

I remember last year many leaf fans thought we would steam roll the jackets and as well all know, that did not happen.

Our offense failed last year. We played against 2 average goalies on a team that had just lost its 1C, 1W and starting goalie. Yet we turned those 2 into all stars.

How do some leaf fans get so cocky with zero proven success? Its honestly amazing.
Dude you're just projecting the typical Leafs misery. I'm not overconfident, I literally wrote out that upsets can happen and what it will take for the upset to happen. Hockey is a game played by two teams on the ice. We might cheer for the Leafs and the Leafs shooters play a role in how things turn out, but the goalies for the other team have their own agency and are capable of catching fire and playing well for a few games at a time. It's ridiculous to act like the trials and tribulations of the Leafs are completely separate from the success and achievements of the team that beat us. Columbus beat us and their players/goalies played well. They got .950 goaltending and that was really the deciding factor in the series.

The Habs can either score way more goals than they normally do or get way better goaltending than us. This is indeed how upsets work. Sure, I was super confident that we'd beat the Blue Jackets last year and we didn't. I'm pretty confident that we'd beat the Habs this year, maybe we will or maybe we won't. I have just as much Leafs related anxiety as anyone else but I'm not going to look at the Habs, who are 14-16-7 since they finished thrashing Vancouver, and pretend that we're not the favourites. Sheesh dude, yeah we've lost some series, we're still pretty big favourites in a series against the Habs.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Forget about the Jackets.

The Habs will be very different, they can launch attacks and can score.
The Defence won't be as good, and their goaltender can always catch fire-in fact
I think he will play quite well.

The Leafs will somehow have to get past many goaltenders looking like Georges Vezina
If the PP is going to stay poor, the the PK will have to be dominant.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015

How are some Leafs “fans” so negative about their own team that they feel the need to shit on other fans for being optimistic and excited about a good team?

For a leafs fan, I’ve never seen you post on the Leafs board. That’s odd.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
How are some Leafs “fans” so negative about their own team that they feel the need to shit on other fans for being optimistic and excited about a good team?

For a leafs fan, I’ve never seen you post on the Leafs board. That’s odd.

He's one of those "Pilky"s, who are Leafs fans, but truly aren't.

Reactions: Mats13

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Where are you getting 0.970 sv % from?

0.956 for korpisalo and 0.946 for merzlikins during the leafs series.

Career: 0.905 for korpisalo and 0.920 for merzlikins

The leafs pay ~55 million to there forwards (~40 million to 4 players)

The jackets paid just over 2 mil for their goalies.

The fact the leafs overpaid offense couldn't beat such a paltry goalie pairing is not a good sign going forward.

Also lol no we did not beat the bjs. That would imply we moved on to the actual playoffs. How do you convince yourself that we won when we very clearly didn't?
The world almost was supposed to be in there. Relax lol.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
If the Leafs do play the Habs I sense it will be a competitive series that could go the distance. 6 or 7 games feels right.

The Habs have a lot of depth through their forward group and I think they will adapt quite well to the style of play that suits a battle. Guys like Anderson, Gallagher, Perry, Weber, etc are not guys you look forward to dealing with in a series. And when you have Price in net, even if he’s not quite as dominant as he once was, that can make things pretty difficult for the opponent.

As for the Leafs, I think the team has done well bringing in a few of those types of players as well. Foligno, Simmonds, Hyman, Muzzin, and even Nash if he plays are going to be difference makers in a tight series.

Leafs have the high end talent at the top like Matthews and Marner that Montreal maybe can’t quite match talent wise, but if they can limit the two of them it’ll make things really interesting.

The Leafs are favoured at the moment, but they definitely need to have consistency in net and to figure out their PP woes. If special teams continue to be any issue, they could find themselves in a tough spot.

Either way, I hope these two teams do end up playing because it might be the most exciting series the Leafs have had in a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad