Playoff rosters

Blitz01

Apr 1, 2019
Hi everyone,

I believe ECHL Playoff rosters need to be submitted at some point soon, from 20 to a 23 man roster?

Once the roster is set does that basically sets the playoff roster and no more changes can occur unless perhaps a change for an injured player?

With a lot of reassignments and loans currently ongoing across the league it gets tough to figure out what is what.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
They aren't announced until the regular season is over. The page link I got this info from seems to be dead, but for last year the rules were:

Playoff Rosters consist of a maximum of 23 Players – a 20-man active roster and a three-man reserve list. Upon submission of its Playoff Roster, each Member is required to include:
1. a minimum of 19 active, available (i.e. not injured or on recall) Players; and
2. a list of all other Players who meet the Playoff Roster Eligibility requirements, but who are unavailable at the time that Playoff Rosters are due to the League Office due to recall to the AHL or NHL. The Playoff Eligible List may only list Players who are unavailable due to recall.
All other players (i.e. injured Players) must be listed on a Member’s initial Playoff Roster (active roster or reserve list) in order to participate in the Playoffs.
Throughout the Playoffs, but prior to the start of the Conference Finals, as the recalled Players listed on a Member’s Playoff Eligible List become available (due to assignment, release from PTO or their respective AHL teams’ seasons having ended), Members shall be permitted to supplement their initial Playoff Rosters with Players listed on their Playoff Eligible Lists, up to a maximum of 23 Players total. Once a Member has named a total of 23 Players to its Playoff Roster, or the Conference Finals have begun (whichever comes first), the Member’s Playoff Roster shall be fixed for the duration of the Playoffs (barring emergency conditions).
A Player who has finished the Regular Season on Injured Reserve may still be named to a Member’s 23-man Playoff Roster and will be eligible to participate in the Playoffs once his full IR time has been completed (provided all other playoff eligibility requirements have been satisfied). Once a Player has fully completed his remaining IR time, he may be activated and placed on the Member’s Active Roster.
Emergency conditions shall be established when the playing strength of the Member, by reason of injury, illness, recall or suspension by the League, is reduced below two (2) goalkeepers and sixteen (16) skaters. However, should a Member release a Player(s) from its Playoff Roster, its emergency conditions will drop by the same number as the Players they release. Only amateur Players may be signed and added to the Active Roster under emergency conditions.

Tater Tot

Jul 8, 2017
The one thing that I have noticed that people forget or choose not to understand is when the rosters reach the 23 man limit, no more of the AHL/NHL eligible guys can join your roster. If you have to bring somebody else in due to a bunch of injuries, it has to be somebody on an ATO.

for example, lets say your team names 20 players to the initial roster. they also provide a list of 5 playoff eligible players that are currently in the AHL. When the first three players come back and brings your roster to 23, the other 2 can not come back at that point.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
The one thing that I have noticed that people forget or choose not to understand is when the rosters reach the 23 man limit, no more of the AHL/NHL eligible guys can join your roster. If you have to bring somebody else in due to a bunch of injuries, it has to be somebody on an ATO.

for example, lets say your team names 20 players to the initial roster. they also provide a list of 5 playoff eligible players that are currently in the AHL. When the first three players come back and brings your roster to 23, the other 2 can not come back at that point.
Exactly - which sometimes makes some hard decisions for a coach. For example, should I add that third line grinder who just got released, or wait and save that last spot to see if my top line scorer or my number one goalie get released next week? If I don't add that guy right away, he probably doesn't hang around though, so if the one I'm waiting for doesn't get released, I'm left with no-one.

Tater Tot

Jul 8, 2017
Royals, the Thunder have named their playoff roster for this year, 23 players named but still have 2 guys eligible to come back from AHL.

How does that work?

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
Royals, the Thunder have named their playoff roster for this year, 23 players named but still have 2 guys eligible to come back from AHL.

How does that work?

THUNDER ANNOUNCE ROUND 1 KELLY CUP PLAYOFFS ROSTER

I'm assuming that in the article above the players who are referred to as "reserve" are not listed on the active roster, leaving 20 on the active roster and 5 total eligible players for the other 3 spots. They are probably waiting to see if the AHL guys lose quick in the playoffs, or injuries to players on the active roster force them to add a player.

Otherwise, if they have all 23 players on the active roster, they can't add any more until they get down to like 14 skaters or something.

Tater Tot

Jul 8, 2017
THUNDER ANNOUNCE ROUND 1 KELLY CUP PLAYOFFS ROSTER

I'm assuming that in the article above the players who are referred to as "reserve" are not listed on the active roster, leaving 20 on the active roster and 5 total eligible players for the other 3 spots. They are probably waiting to see if the AHL guys lose quick in the playoffs, or injuries to players on the active roster force them to add a player.

Otherwise, if they have all 23 players on the active roster, they can't add any more until they get down to like 14 skaters or something.

Previous years it was 20 man active roster and 3 reserve, which is exactly where they are now.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
I think they are still required by league to list the players who were eligible, even though they can no longer add them because their roster is already full. That is the first step in determining if those players can be included on the season ending roster, protected list, etc.

Tater Tot

Jul 8, 2017
I think they are still required by league to list the players who were eligible, even though they can no longer add them because their roster is already full. That is the first step in determining if those players can be included on the season ending roster, protected list, etc.

the two players in question can not be protected or be placed on a season ending roster, one is on an NHL contract and the other has been on a AHL contract the entire year. Part of me thinks they listed those players in their own press release to keep the fans happy and hope they wouldn't notice.

And I don't really see the point of the player reserve system either since they can be moved back and forth from it. It should just be a simple, you get 23 guys, dress 18 of them and the 5 healthy scratches each game.

Reactions: Avsrule2022

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad