Playoff payouts to players

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
Hey guys just curious if anyone knows how players get paid in the playoffs. To my knowledge player contracts are just for the season. I would assume players aren't playing in teh playoffs for free. Curious if anyone has any information or specifics of how it works!

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
yeah didn't know this. just assumed it was the same as the normal contract.

Like if it was 6m for the year it would be 73,170 per game.

strongbad

Apr 22, 2007
I remember that the winning teams in the late 90s used to get 1M to be divided among the players. I guess that was before the NHLPA made strives in that department.

This isn't subject to escrow, correct? Probably a good incentive, like a summer bonus.

Last edited:

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
For the players in the $3-4 mil AAV range and beyond, this is moderately small potatoes compared to the value that a playoff-tested player brings to the table. Yeah, an extra $90K for playing all four rounds and losing the Cup doesn't hurt - but if you're a player who breaks out, particularly in the playoffs, your next contract is going to be good. You can't compare $90K to a bump of $0.5 mil per year over a 5-6 year contract.

Even though the $150K bump for winning it all means proportionately more to the $550K rookies, the fact that they were active on a team that won the Cup means even more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad