Playoff Opponent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
So, on the eve of the Caps clinching a playoff berth, we need to turn our attention to possible first round matchups for our favourite squad (and NO, it's not a jinx thread, they WILL 100% make the playoffs).

Realistically, their are 8 possible teams that could match up w Washington in the first round. More specifically, the 7th - 9th placed teams at the moment are the most likely match ups (Pittsburgh, Detroit, and Philadelphia). I will post a poll to see which match up is most "wanted" by the Caps fans on HF.

Personally, I want Detroit. While they are a good team, in my opinion they represent the most favourable matchup. Emotionally they are the least taxing (only played once in history in the playoffs...granted, was a big series, but...), I think physically they'd be the least taxing (they aren't particularly big), and they have some intangibles that may play in the Caps favour (rookie HC, and of course...Motorbike Mike, who we know is good for a game losing gaff at least once).

So those are my thoughts. What does everyone else think?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
It doesn't really matter who we face, I expect us to win against every single one of them. If I had to choose, I'd pick the Pens. They are the softest of the bunch by far.

Caps Circle

Jan 19, 2015
Chantilly, VA
Between Detroit and Pittsburgh for me. Want no part of Philly in the playoffs, they'll go out of their way to injure our guys.

I am wary of playing Detroit. Yes, we bet them 2/3 times and won the Corsi battle each time, but looking back at those games, we were getting very low-percentage shots off. The Wings played a lot like the 2009-10 Habs played, allowing a bunch of shots from the point and the sides. I think we only scored like 5 goals against them in three games, and all of those were from right in front of the net. Unless we can win the battles in front over the series, I do not believe Detroit will be an easy out, even with them playing like crap recently.

Pittsburgh is no pushovers either, though. Their offense is more than capable of pulling out a few wins. That being said, they are an incredibly soft team, meaning we should be able to steamroll them, especially if our defense and Holtby get back up to par. Plus, they don't really have anybody physical enough to cause injury.

I would probably prefer to see Pittsburgh in the first round.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
It doesn't really matter who we face, I expect us to win against every single one of them. If I had to choose, I'd pick the Pens. They are the softest of the bunch by far.
Mentally maybe but I don't think they're softer than Detroit otherwise.

A series of targeting the **** out of Green would be highly entertaining.

PucksInDeep

Oct 1, 2014
Detroit would be interesting. Obviously they have a history of playoff success, but the reality of the current team is that they have very few "elite" players. I don't think Tatar, Nyquist, Green, Kronwall, etc. are "elite" so you're left with an over-the-hill Zetterberg and Datsyuk, a rookie Larkin, and Mrazek.

They might be a pesky team but the Capitals should beat them, unless they play like ****. Meanwhile Pittsburgh or Philly have a few game-breaking talents in Crosby, Malkin, Giroux, etc.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
It doesn't matter, Caps on their A game beats every single one of those teams.

Voted Pittspurgh because of the rivalry factor and i think the Caps depth and physicality would kill them off rather quickly.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Easily Detroit. Why? I just can't see on account of what they can beat the Caps. I can see some troubles for our boys against other teams but not vs Wings. Caps should beat them in 5.

Man, people seem to really underappreciate Pens. they are not blowing you away with overall quality of their game this season but its clearly more aggressive, faster and dangerous team than it was under Johnston. They are going to be a tough nut to crack for anyone especially if MAF will stand on his head.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Welcome to the Premier League season Alexis....

See if they can hold on...:shaky tending for Spuds.

Yep definitely drinking and posting....

Last edited:

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I'd be good with Philly. They're not a very good team, and they aren't nearly as physical as they were in the old days.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Islanders vs Rangers is likely as 2vs3 so we would get the winner in the 2nd round.
panthers, lightening, and Bruins prolly 1-3.

That's leaves Flyers, Pens, Wings. We have lost to them all in our playoff history, so I'll pick the Wings bc I hate them the least of the group.

Also would be fun to "whoop" Mike Green

Last edited:

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
The Flyers because they have the worst defense of the bunch, their forward depth is weak, and their goaltending doesn't really scare me. They have a rookie coach and their possession stats are poor, and while they are physical they aren't nearly as physical as say the Islanders. Detroit would be a favorable matchup too, but I think Mrazek is the real deal.

Pittsburgh is the last team I want to face because they have gamebreaking forwards that could expose some of our weaker defensemen.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The Flyers because they have the worst defense of the bunch, their forward depth is weak, and their goaltending doesn't really scare me. They have a rookie coach and their possession stats are poor, and while they are physical they aren't nearly as physical as say the Islanders. Detroit would be a favorable matchup too, but I think Mrazek is the real deal.

Pittsburgh is the last team I want to face because they have gamebreaking forwards that could expose some of our weaker defensemen.

The Flyers would turn the series into a bloody boxing match. It'd be a physically, mentally, and emotionally draining series. No thanks.

Pittsburgh sucks.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
If F'in Noovy knocks us out I quit.

He won't, don't worry. Ovi is going to bust him in the first games and he's going to throw a fit.

Well something to watch is the Malkin injury and how long he is out for

Yeah, that comes at the worst possible time for the Pens. They're in danger of missing the playoffs, Philly is closing in on them. Thankfully for the Pens, it looks like the Wings are slumping.

They have 2, the other one is Kris Letang.

He's made of glass too, but when he's on his game, he's a lot better than Greenie. Better defensively and produces at a rate that only Karlsson or Subban can surpass.

He's the kind of player that Ovechkin and Wilson will abuse in the playoffs. He's going to get a close look and a good taste of the end boards if he faces us.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
He's made of glass too, but when he's on his game, he's a lot better than Greenie. Better defensively and produces at a rate that only Karlsson or Subban can surpass.

He's the kind of player that Ovechkin and Wilson will abuse in the playoffs. He's going to get a close look and a good taste of the end boards if he faces us.

Propably took it wrong, he's somewhat similar to Green in his old days (not the best few years but back then). Defensively terrible, can't clear the crease to save his life, makes risky decisions but offensively he's obviously very good.

He's the kind of player everyone is going to abuse in the playoffs. He doesn't exactly enjoy the physical game (still not as bad as Green in that regard), and he's their only engine from the blue-line. Teams will continually dump the puck in and keep hitting him until he cracks and starts taking stupid penalties or gets injured. That leaves Penguins with pretty much Maatta and AHL blue-line.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Propably took it wrong, he's somewhat similar to Green in his old days (not the best few years but back then). Defensively terrible, can't clear the crease to save his life, makes risky decisions but offensively he's obviously very good.

He's the kind of player everyone is going to abuse in the playoffs. He doesn't exactly enjoy the physical game (still not as bad as Green in that regard), and he's their only engine from the blue-line. Teams will continually dump the puck in and keep hitting him until he cracks and starts taking stupid penalties or gets injured. That leaves Penguins with pretty much Maatta and AHL blue-line.

I scoff when Pens fans call him a Norris caliber Dman. He is nowhere close to the likes of Doughty, Keith or Karlsson.

PucksInDeep

Oct 1, 2014

Letang might be one bad hit from having to retire, considering how many concussions he's had the past few seasons.

Not a guy you want going up against a super-physical team in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad