Playoff Matchups

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
As a life-long hater of Boston sports teams, I don't want to face the Bruins regardless of how the matchups work. I would most enjoy it entirely if the B's were the odd team out of the playoffs.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
I posted this in the Around Hockey thread, but I'll repost it here:

We can beat Boston, and we can beat Montreal. It's the rest I'm worried about. Pens always fry us, as do the Isles. Wings have enough heart to do it, plus the winning culture. That would be a good series. Hard-fought.

Rangers would have something to prove after the season sweep. Plus, they've gotten better.

Caps, we can beat as well. Our D really has to show up though. Shut that first line down, you shut the team down.

If our defense is fully healthy, as are our forwards, I think we can win any series. Obviously, some will be more hard fought than others.

wxkid23

Oct 7, 2014
Kissimmee, FL
I want nothing to do with Boston. They are playing well and own us lately. Detroit. Please

And yes... if we are healthy I do believe we can beat anyone. I don't know if we are going to be though

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
I don't care who we face...Bees/Wings/Rags/Habs whatever won't matter if we are healthy. However, don't want Connolly to go off on us and decide to have a coming out party after four years of hibernation. Rather not face a motivated and now physical Conman...

Callum

Jun 8, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
I feel like we have a great chance to beat Boston in round 1 but at the price of being beaten up for the rest of the playoffs. I'd rather play anyone else in the east before the Bruins.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Looks like Max Pacioretty might miss significant time with a concussion. Which could mean big trouble for MTL in the playoffs. ...That might, weirdly, be a bad thing for us. You'd have to hope we would meet MTL at some point in the playoffs. But Pacioretty is such a huge part of their offense that I'm not sure if MTL will score enough to get out of the 1st.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
That much we can agree with. While last year was, in its own respects, a bonus and the team was so ransacked by injury that maybe we call were drinking too much koolaid to realize it at the time, it still serves as a motivation ploy for this year. Another year of being the de facto #3 seed in the East cannot be followed up with another first round exit. Who are we, the Sharks? *rimshot*

golgoXIII

Apr 2, 2007
Hope for you Tampa fans you won't play Boston, with the size of your top 9 players i'm pretty sure Bruins will play realy physical and have a good chance to send the lightnings on the golf course.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Hope for you Tampa fans you won't play Boston, with the size of your top 9 players i'm pretty sure Bruins will play realy physical and have a good chance to send the lightnings on the golf course.

And with their footspeed they'll be chasing the puck all four games of the series. Boston ain't ****.

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
I think the Caps is a difficult match-up, they have good goaltending, good coaching and Ovechkin-Bäckström, sure they lack the offensive depth we have but it's no easy task to close them down..

Boltsppy

Jun 10, 2014
Whoever we'll face, we need our bad guys. I'm almost sure that first game will be like the one we played with Detroit few days ago. They'll try shut down our stars because they know very very well where our weakness is : we are too soft

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Judging from the Caps/Bees game tonight...I really want to play Boston. They look terrible...like every line is getting dominated.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
This is why I wanted Boston. They are our **** atm.

Detroit is a tougher matchup than Boston.

We could still get Boston. I don't think it's such a lock that we finish 2nd. Montreal, a team that struggles to score, is going to be without Pacioretty for at least these last two games. Combine that with the fact that they might give Price a rest in one, and it's not unthinkable that they'll go 1-1 or even 0-2.

I think if we go 2-0 there's a pretty good chance we still take 1st. That's no easy task, I realize, but MTL is a weaker team than they were a few days ago.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
I'm not convinced Detroit is a tougher matchup, given their struggles of late and total uncertainty in net. You can still, at a bare minimum, imagine Tuukka playing above-and-beyond with a S% already in the .925 range (if Giggy could shutdown the 2003 Wings then anything's possible) and frustrating the Lightning attack. With Detroit, are they going with untested rookie Mrazek or the thoroughly mediocre Howard? Even more, do they have any faith in either choice? Goaltending is such an equalizer in a short playoff series.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
So much depends on Bishop I think. If he plays like he can we will be tough to beat. Teams can play as physical as they want. Our offense will score regardless. It's about whether or not Bishop and our defense can keep it out of our net.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
There is no way to know who we'll face in the PO...seem like we won't know until after Saturday.

If we move past the habs for 1st in the Atlantic then we could face anyone from Boston, to Detroit to Pittsburg (right now the Habs will face Pittsburgh since they have the most Points out of the WC), it's tight and we really have no idea who we're going to face in the 1st round which is a bit unnerving.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad