Speculation: Playoff Lineup

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I think he's referring to the Montreal series where Keefe made zero effort to get Matthews away from the Danault line.

I doubt he is referring to that series, he is smarter than that.

Matthews' line dominated Danault's.

Price just dominated them.

Reactions: The Iceman

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
I doubt he is referring to that series, he is smarter than that.

Matthews' line dominated Danault's.

Price just dominated them.
No Danault's line limited Matthew's line enough to win. They did the same against vegas. neither Keefe or Deboer made any effort to get their stars away from danault. Then game 1 of the Tampa series, Cooper does everything to avoid that matchup- plays his big liner against Suzuki which had the double benefit of forcing Mtls best offensive players to play D and chase all night and get them away from Danault.

On paper the Leafs are probably significantly better than Tampa but Cooper>>>>>>Keefe. That plus if Vasi steals a couple - ouch

Reactions: torontoblood

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
No Danault's line limited Matthew's line enough to win. They did the same against vegas. neither Keefe or Deboer made any effort to get their stars away from danault. Then game 1 of the Tampa series, Cooper does everything to avoid that matchup- plays his big liner against Suzuki which had the double benefit of forcing Mtls best offensive players to play D and chase all night and get them away from Danault.

On paper the Leafs are probably significantly better than Tampa but Cooper>>>>>>Keefe. That plus if Vasi steals a couple - ouch

If a line generates a ton of high-quality scoring chances but doesn't score, who is doing their job to keep the puck out of the net? The goalie or the players?

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
For the record, Matthews was matched up against Danault for only about 56-57% of his ES time in that Montreal series.
The Matthews line also dominated the Danault line, and the Tavares injury kind of took away some alternative matchup options.
It's amazing how some people can take a comment from years ago about how Montreal was the one who had to be more concerned with matching up with our lines, and twist it into some weird belief that Keefe doesn't care or think about who he's sending lines out against.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
This will never happen but…
Bunting. Matthews Nylander
Jamkrok Tavares Marner
Kerfoot ROR acciardi
Zar Kampf lafferty

Mcabe Brodiie
Reilly schenn
Gio liljegrin

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
This will never happen but…
Bunting. Matthews Nylander
Jamkrok Tavares Marner
Kerfoot ROR acciardi
Zar Kampf lafferty

Mcabe Brodiie
Reilly schenn
Gio liljegrin
That might be the lineup if they get to Bos. Probably with Willy and Marner switchef

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
I prefer Lilly over Schenn

On the road when we have do not have last change I want ROR on the third line. At home with last change, stack the first two lines.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Tmo I see a Keefe's Blender Special:

ROR Matthews Nylander
Bunting Tavares Marner
Knies Kampf Lafferty
ZAR Acciari Kerfoot

Rielly Brodie
Giordano Holl
McCabe Schenn

Samsonov
Woll

Reactions: hullsy47

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
I saw them both. One timely goal (his only point in 15 games!) doesn't make him a second pair defenseman. Mashing guys and giving the puck right back accomplishes nothing. He's constantly getting hemmed in his own zone and contributes negatively in the other two zones.

Schenn 5v5 has: 42% CF%. 43.6% FF%. 45.5% GF%. 46.5% xGF%. Those ratios are all propped up on the offensive side by playing with top tier forwards; his defensive numbers are crap. Only Gustafsson has worse and he is getting scratched for good reason. And you'll never guess who's second worst of the regular D... hint, it's his D partner. If you're that convinced he's a great physical D then at least stick him on the third pair like when we had Bogosian (who was twice the player and actually could play within his limits).

It's genuinely baffling what Keefe sees with this pairing. It was a funny retro joke experiment for a game or two but should have been tossed in the trash immediately after that.
Agreed. It must be some psychological plan in terms of "toughness" to uplift our team?
It sure isn't for the mediocre play on ice.

Reactions: Cap'n Flavour

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
If a line generates a ton of high-quality scoring chances but doesn't score, who is doing their job to keep the puck out of the net? The goalie or the players?

Its a crazy narrative that will never go away for some reason. Everyone acknowledges Price was the teams MVP against us and he used up what was left of his career to help carry that team to the finals and another part of the problem is that Danault was much better the rest of the playoffs as well. The eye test confirmed it as Price was absolutely stoning the top line on breakaways, odd man rushes and the occasional help from his best friends the posts. The stat line is very telling.

Danaults vs. the Leafs 5v5 and ranking among all other 43 forwards with 100+ minutes in the month of May that playoffs(for simplicity's sake),

Shots against/60: 37.8 (39th best out of 43)
Scoring Chances Against/60: 35.87 (40th best out of 43)
High Danger Chances Against/60: 12.97 (41st best out of 43)
xGA/60: 3.23 (40th best out of 43)

Overall:
Shot differential: 40.10 (39th best out of 43)
xGF%: 34.80 (42nd best out of 43)
Goal differential: 0.00 (43rd best out of 43)

Some other telling stats:

Only forward to not be on for a goal scored for his team.
Giveaways: 2nd highest of all forwards
His line that was together all season and considered one of the best in hockey broken up after a game 5 win.

Danault defensively the rest of the way against the Jets/Knights/Bolts:

Shots against/60: 27.69
Scoring Chances Against/60: 26.6
High Danger Chances Against/60: 10.96
xGA/60: 2.22

Overall:
Shot differential: 52.13
xGF%: 55.56
Goal differential: 57.03

I hope Samsonov has it in him to pull a Price this season for us. Would be nice to have a goalie steal games for us for once.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

QJo

Luke Warmtakes
Dec 8, 2016
Ontario
Hmmm the line that was working at the end of the season before Keefe just canned it for the playoffs. Hmmm

I can't tell if Keefe overthinks or underthinks.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
Jarnkrok - Matthews - Acciari
Knies - Tavares - Marner
Lafferty - ORielly - Nylander
ZAK - Kampf - Kerfoot

I think the bolded should stay together, the unbolded can be changed.

I'd swap Holl and Lilgren, but Keefe loves Holl, so...

mapleleafs34

Apr 7, 2011
If Knies is in & Bunting is suspended I think they're definitely going with this top 6:
Jarnkrok-Matthews-Marner
Knies-O'Reilly-Nylander

Bottom 6 SHOULD be:
Tavares-Acciari-Lafferty
Kerfoot-Kampf-ZAR

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad