Line Combos: Playoff Line up

Selanne138

Nov 18, 2009
I don't see them as effective in outlet passing. Reverse the puck. Chip it off the glass. Suicide pass.

Finally reading that Beleskey articlie. One thing I found interesting is Boudreau's comment: "He's a perfect prototype forward in today's NHL game. He plays the fourth line really well, but you can move him up. He can skate. He hits. He can fight if you want him to."

I might be reading too much into it, but I see it as just more evidence that Boudreau doesn't believe in fighting as a deterrent.

Seems like BB just wants hockey players who can fight rather than a Parros type. Beleskey isnt afraid to drop the gloves with anyone, but he also plays a role on anywhere in the lineup. Thats the kind of fighting Boudreau is looking for.

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
Sbisa is our worst defenseman he might be the lowest IQ player ever to wear a ducks jersey

Really. How old are you, or how long have you been watching the Ducks. Also, you must be an ex player(defense) or a coach of some sorts to be able to make that comment.

Sbisa is going through a rough time, but still can play. He is still young and may have regressed, but can always get it back.

getzforfighting*

im happy nobody here is a coach. As bad as allen/souray/sbisa may have been lately, they bring size to our defence which i feel intimidates guys like filpula and brunner as well as the other young forwards. It also brings veteran leadership. We wont win a skill game against the wings, so its good to have that size and grit on the backend. Just my two cents.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Really. How old are you, or how long have you been watching the Ducks. Also, you must be an ex player(defense) or a coach of some sorts to be able to make that comment.

Sbisa is going through a rough time, but still can play. He is still young and may have regressed, but can always get it back.

Sure. He can get it back some day. The point is that he's not a very good player right now. yes, he's young. That's about the only thing he has going for him. I just don't see the talent. I see a guy who can skate a little, can sometimes make a decent outlet pass. I see a guy who gets beaten wide all the time and is frequently out of position. Essentially, I see a bottom pairing defenseman. I hope I'm wrong on that, but I just don't see a particularly impressive player. He hasn't been very good at defense this year and he's basically a black hole on offense. We should trade him while other GM's still think he has "potential" IMO. Lindholm and Vatanen make him expendable in the near future.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
im happy nobody here is a coach. As bad as allen/souray/sbisa may have been lately, they bring size to our defence which i feel intimidates guys like filpula and brunner as well as the other young forwards. It also brings veteran leadership. We wont win a skill game against the wings, so its good to have that size and grit on the backend. Just my two cents.

+1

Some people just don't understand they aren't all stars but they bring size to the blueline that was sorely missing last year. But it's always easier to criticize the lack of perfection when you have a minor league savior that wouldn't make any mistakes. :shakehead

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
OK jesus....yes, they bring size obviously that was missing last year. You know what's missing this year on the back end? Puck moving.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
It's a single playoff series. Get over it - all the best goalscorers have bad runs.

Over Perry's last 130games (since he won the Hart) he's scored 52 goals and 97 points.

That averages out to 33 goals and 60 pts a season...certainly not awful, but we need a lot more from him.

What's more concerning, is last season he had the excuse of Getzlaf playing the worst season of his career, but he hasn't even been able to feed off of Getz this year.

I hope Perry returns to the 40/40 player he can be, because that's what we're going to be paying him to be.

Professor John Frink

Apr 26, 2002
Visit site
OK jesus....yes, they bring size obviously that was missing last year. You know what's missing this year on the back end? Puck moving.

It was missing last year too, you remember right? That season the Ducks were the 6th worst team in the league.

Seems to be adding the size of Souray and Allen and Winnik have really done wonders for the overall team game.

Also the Ducks have been a very good team 5 on 5. Which makes me believe this "puck moving" issue isn't as bad as you claim it to be.

quentez

#8 Teemu Legend
Apr 2, 2011
Trondheim, Norway
I hope Fowler unleashes his offensive puck moving skills sometime. Once every game he has glimpses of brilliance where he dances around the opposing players.

Last edited:

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Over Perry's last 130games (since he won the Hart) he's scored 52 goals and 97 points.

Not that it changes the numbers much but from the stats I saw he's played 124 games post hart and has 52 goals and 96 points. Yeah he needs to be better but he's getting the chances this series. He was never an 80 point player - he had the one massive year and he got paid because of it. Outside of that year he's only hit 70 points twice.

He is what he is - a 30 goal, 70 point guy who we had to pay to keep here. I hope he can hit higher than those numbers but I think the hart trophy year was an aberration.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Not that it changes the numbers much but from the stats I saw he's played 124 games post hart and has 52 goals and 96 points. Yeah he needs to be better but he's getting the chances this series. He was never an 80 point player - he had the one massive year and he got paid because of it. Outside of that year he's only hit 70 points twice.

He is what he is - a 30 goal, 70 point guy who we had to pay to keep here. I hope he can hit higher than those numbers but I think the hart trophy year was an aberration.

Agreed!

But on another note, i personally hate the fact that he`s getting more than Getz. Even with his down year, Getz has been much more valuable to our team than Perry.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego

I counted the playoffs, and it should be 129 (whoops).

He just hasn't been the same for these last 2 seasons, and we need him to be better, no doubt about it.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai

That averages out to 33 goals and 60 pts a season...certainly not awful, but we need a lot more from him.

What's more concerning, is last season he had the excuse of Getzlaf playing the worst season of his career, but he hasn't even been able to feed off of Getz this year.

I hope Perry returns to the 40/40 player he can be, because that's what we're going to be paying him to be.

Included in those games is a season in which Perry led the conference in goal scoring, and a season in which he was on pace for about a 30g/70pt season, which is where he needs to be IMO.

Aside from that one year he's never been a 40/40 player and the contract is not a failure if he never does it again. Perry's value lies in his production combined with his on-ice impact, which is why he commands so much more than Ryan. He's been snakebit but he's never an empty jersey.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
People are ignoring the fact that Perry's "down year" last year still led the Western Conference in goal scoring. He got paid for doing that two years in a row, and was producing again at a good rate when he was suspended. He's been in a slump since the contract, you have to think he's due to break out.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Agreed!

But on another note, i personally hate the fact that he`s getting more than Getz. Even with his down year, Getz has been much more valuable to our team than Perry.

TBH I think Getzlaf took a bit of a discount. Either that or Murray thought Perry's MVP year was worth paying him ~400k more.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
Jason 'skate down the boards, hit the logo' Blake

I took my good friend from New York who is a huge hockey fan to game 5, literally said nothing about Sbisa to see what he would think and I swear to god he was like Who the **** is number 5 he is an idiot. He takes terrible angles, has no idea about spacing, doesn't know where to be, and on top of that can't make a pass to save his life, did I mention everytime he takes a shot from the blue like it gets blocked and the other team gets a rush from it. I used to be one of the people even earlier this season saying he is young he will learn but some people just don't understand the game, it happens in every sport someone has talent but they can't put it together, I hope for the Ducks sake that Sbisa isn't one of those people.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
Included in those games is a season in which Perry led the conference in goal scoring, and a season in which he was on pace for about a 30g/70pt season, which is where he needs to be IMO.

Aside from that one year he's never been a 40/40 player and the contract is not a failure if he never does it again. Perry's value lies in his production combined with his on-ice impact, which is why he commands so much more than Ryan. He's been snakebit but he's never an empty jersey.

My point isn't to make Ryan look better, I know some people are bringing up Perry's production to make Ryan look better, I'm not. I think they've both sucked this season (Ryan moreso).

It's also not all about goals, Perry scored quite well last season, but I still thought he wasn't using his teammates as well as he had in the past, and I think that's gotten even worse this season.

Ever since his stupid spin move/cut to the center and chip the puck over the defenseman's stick move worked quite a few times in his hart season, he's been trying it every damn play and losing the puck more often than not. It's infuriating.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
It's interesting comparing their bad seasons.

Getzlaf looked like he was trying hard, but had lost all skill. Passes weren't crisp. Shot wasn't flying off his stick. Maybe a step slow too.

Perry still got possession of the puck. But he made poor decision after poor decision. And he seems to have lost his shot placement. It's like his shot hands got replaced with Jason Blake's hands.

Ryan was mostly just invisible and didn't even get as much possession of the puck.

Different ways to fail.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
It's interesting comparing their bad seasons.

Getzlaf looked like he was trying hard, but had lost all skill. Passes weren't crisp. Shot wasn't flying off his stick. Maybe a step slow too.

Perry still got possession of the puck. But he made poor decision after poor decision. And he seems to have lost his shot placement. It's like his shot hands got replaced with Jason Blake's hands.

Ryan was mostly just invisible and didn't even get as much possession of the puck.

Different ways to fail.

Completely agree with this evaluation. That's why Perry really frustrates me, because he seems to have develop an ego where he tries to do everything himself, it's ducking annoying.

Ryan's always been enigmatic, we (maybe just me) thought this was due to age, and he'd eventually learn how to be a pro once he got older.

As for Getzy, like you said, had the effort.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
I've had it with RPG cycling for a minute at a time and getting nothing going towards the net. They are way too content staying on the perimeter. Boudreau needs to split them up at least to start G7 to try and spark the offense.

Etem-Getz-Palms
Bobby-Bonino-Selanne
Winnik-Koivu-Perry
Beleskey-Steckel-Cogs

Don't even care what the lines are specifically. Just please no RPG to start.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
When Bruce tried Etem - Getz - Palms on the 1st line in game 4 they got hemmed in their zone for 3 straight shifts. Etem and Palmieri aren't ready to take on the likes of Datsyuk & Zetterberg at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad