Playoff games in Ottawa this spring have been ridiculous

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
6 playoff games at Canadian Tire/Scotiabank/Corel Centre: 4 in OT, and the 2 that weren't were decided by late goals with under 5 minutes left in the third.

Game 1 vs. Boston- 2-1, Marchand scores in the dying minutes.

Game 2 vs. Boston: Comeback from 2 goal deficit in third period, score in OT

Game 5 vs. Boston- Double OT thriller

Game 1 vs. NY Rangers- Goal in the late minutes of regulation from an unlikely angle

Game 2 vs. NY Rangers- Complete insanity. Two goals to tie in the dying minutes, Pageau's 4 Goals, Double OT

Game 5 vs. NY Rangers- Come back from 2 goals down AGAIN, score with the extra attacker AGAIN, Kyle Turris duplicates his 2014 heroic

Seriously, it's like every playoff game in Ottawa is must-see TV. Drama, ridiculousness, hard-fought.

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
Canadian Tire Centre should have a defibrillator in every section, and a Depends vending machine.

PhoenyX

Dec 13, 2009
Toronto
Makes it even more surprising that they have had trouble with attendance. Lots of entertaining games for sure.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I thought Ottawa was supposed to be the most boring team in the league.

Are they the most exciting?

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Ottawa has played 4 playoff games on NBC this spring (3 at home, 1 in Boston)

That's one fewer than they had in their 2007 Cup run!

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Makes it even more surprising that they have had trouble with attendance. Lots of entertaining games for sure.

They have trouble with attendance!? Surely a Canadian team with true hockey fans would be able to sell out a building during the playoffs

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
They have trouble with attendance!? Surely a Canadian team with true hockey fans would be able to sell out a building during the playoffs

It's a government town that had its pay system break this year, there was a lot of people missing their disposable income this year.

That being said, it's less than it should be even without the Phoenix issues. Hopefully the upcoming move closer to downtown cures that. And Melnyk distances himself from the team.

StittsvilleJames

Apr 17, 2012
Ottawa
It's a government town that had its pay system break this year, there was a lot of people missing their disposable income this year.

That being said, it's less than it should be even without the Phoenix issues. Hopefully the upcoming move closer to downtown cures that. And Melnyk distances himself from the team.

Don't forget the true fans who can't afford to go to hockey games while his wife finishes her education. :(

I"ll buy season's tickets when she's done and has a job, to make up for it. I swear!

ToastrStutzle

Feb 1, 2016
Ottawa
I was at Game 2 where pageau scored 4 and it was the craziest game I've ever seen live.

Sens came back 3 times from 2 goal deficits.

Clamshells

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 11, 2009
I was at game 5 vs Boston and game 2 vs New York... if anyone wants to see a double ot game 7, consider buying me a ticket :p

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Anyone wanna find a link for me? Martin Brodeur once said Ottawa had the best playoff atmosphere he played in the East.

I, for one who has been to every home game (except game 5 vs Boston) can easily say that the atmosphere is one to attend if you haven't already.

Pangu

Jun 20, 2005
In the second round, inexcusable for a Canadian market.

I really don't get this issue.

The tickets weren't free. If you charged enough in Toronto or Montreal, they wouldn't sell out either. Maybe the Sens would prefer to not sell out a game than to charge less for tickets. Its not a charity after all. But, if you charge prices to maximize your revenue, you may end up not selling out every game.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
Very high drama for sure.. entertainment value is there.

Too bad nobody is there to watch them..

As far as I know these last two Saturday's have been sold out and the crowd has been electric. I can testify to that being the case for the Pageau game for sure as I was there.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
In the second round, inexcusable for a Canadian market.

Why, because Canadians are supposed to buy a hockey ticket for any price?
It was a game 1 on a Thursday with two Saturday games at home in the round, they didn't actually advertise that there were tickets still available, and it was probably the first 'patio' day of the year. Oh and they priced the series as if it was a Montreal or Toronto opponent. And bumped parking up from 20 to 30 bucks.
Add in a bit of malaise from the team continually making it into the playoffs but not managing to get past the second round...

Quite a few extremely valid reasons can be drawn for all of that.

Also from the looks of things, they're not the only ones in the second round to not get a sellout in at least one of the games.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
So many salty comments in this thread. Yikes.

I have been to 3 of these games, game 1 and 5 in round 1 and game 2 in round 2. All have been pretty incredible from an entertainment perspective. Feeling very fortunate and poor after going so often. The saturday pageau game I was going down the fan deck between every period, I spent the equivlant on booze of going to 3 total games and for all that i barely remember the o.t winner HAHA.... I also lost my hat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad