Pre-Game Talk: Playoff Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
We are discussing the playoffs in almost every thread, so maybe we should combine it into one that will discuss 1) if we'll do well; 2) which teams we want to face; 3) personnel issues (who should play, whose injury may last into the playoffs, etc).

Anyway, here's why I think the Rangers will do well in the playoffs.

1. EXPERIENCE: The last 3 seasons they won more playoff series than any other Eastern Conference team, and are only behind the LA Kings in the league. Any player or coach will tell you that experience matters because inexperienced players get overwhelmed when they get deep into the playoffs.

2. ENERGY: Because of extended injuries to key players including Lundqvist, Stepan, St. Louis, McDonagh, Boyle, Klein, the Rangers will be less tired than usual heading into the playoffs.

3. GOALTENDING IS KEY: Historically, teams with superstar (or hot) goaltending tended to do well in the playoffs. Lundqvist has had a .926 SV% in the playoffs in his career, which rises to .958 SV% in games when the Rangers can be eliminated and .965 SV% in Game 7s that he played in.

4. TOUGH TO ELIMINATE: In Game 7s since Lundqvist joined the Rangers, they won 5 of 6. Even when the Rangers face a possible elimination against a superior team (aka one that's leading the series), they still won 60% of the games in the Lundqvist Era. Even without offense, the Rangers were always very difficult to eliminate.

5. DEFENSE: Defense wins in the playoffs and the Rangers are tied for second in the NHL in goals against, only 4 goals behind the league lead.

6. OFFENSE: The Rangers lacked offense tremendously in the Lundqvist Era, particularly compared to playoff teams. Last year, they were #18 in the league, meaning they were not even playoff-level offensively. The 2 years before, they were #12 and #13, still below average for a playoff team. They were the third-worst Eastern playoff team in GF in 2012 and 2013, and were the second-worst last season. They still managed to win 6 playoff rounds in those 3 seasons. This year the Rangers are top-5 in offense, while their Goals Against are even better than before (top-3).

ANSWERING SOME CONCERNS:

A. SUSTAINABILITY: While some people will cite that a few players like Nash overperformed, the truth is that the Rangers kept on winning one way or the other even with their top-3 offensive threats Nash, Stepan and St. Louis either cold or injured. Furthermore, the team just added Yandle, so the cooling off by some players will be made up at least in part by his additional offense.

B. LOW POSSESSION NUMBERS: For one, when a team is always leading, this is likely to happen. What do you see happening in the third period of every game? A team that is up is just dumping out the puck, while the team that is down is running around with the puck trying to create something. Obviously playing like this in the vast majority of games for a third of the game drives down your possession, Corsi and Fenwick numbers. Two, the Rangers are a forechecking team which means they rely less on the Soviet-style opportunity creation via puck possession, and more on sending in Hagelin, Kreider, etc to cause turnovers followed by quick scoring chances.

C. HIGH SCORING PERCENTAGE: The Rangers are arguably the fastest team in the NHL and definitely among the fastest. Sending out Kreider or Nash or anyone on a breakaway or another type of fastbreak (or a forecheck turnover) will produce a higher scoring percentage than circling around in the offense for two minutes as you shoot several times hoping to get lucky one of these times.

Zucc36

Jan 8, 2011
Who is the preferred opponent in 1st round?

Looking at the standings, it is so close now that it could be almost anyone in 1st round. Rangers are for sure clinching MP, so it´s gonna be one of the WC spots.

Right now it´s Boston, but one game can change the whole thing, and in MP it could be anyone of Isles, Pens and Caps. From the AD it will most likely be Ottawa or Boston, but it could even be the Wings.

So who is the most preferred?

Last edited:

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Now that we have clinched I figured this would be a good time to reopen this thread.

Edit: Clinching Scenarios

Metro Division: 2 points
Eastern Conference: 10 points
Presidents Trophy: 11 points

Last edited:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I'm mostly worried that the Rangers execution issues will extend into the playoffs. If they are sharp and their battle level is up, I don't think we're in for a 1st round upset. We match up fine with any potential opponent.

Those are ifs though, so there's no guarantees.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Also, once they clinch the metro, I'd like to see them rest some players, particularly against the Devils and Jackets.

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
I'm always worried when we get into the playoffs. You never know what can happen, but given how we played last year I think we will be fine.

This team has the ability to really step it up as we saw last year. I think we will come out flying. Hank will be SuperHank, our veterans will lead, and our young guys will be playing out of their minds. Kreider, Hayes, Brass, Zucc, MSL, will be phenomenal and our defense will come together and play like they should be - the best in the league.

I'll stay optimistic here and say that this team will see themselves as the powerhouse team they are. Speed, puck possession, scoring, excellent defense and best goalie in the world. I'm thinking we go deep this year, maybe a little deeper than last year. ;)

LittleKev6D9

Unregistered User
Dec 14, 2011
Middletown
This is where the losses of Boyle and Stralman are going to hurt the Rangers. Yandle + Boyle is probably better than Moore + Stralman, and I think Klein can pick up some of the slack Stralman left behind.

But the loss of Boyle is going to hurt. He anchored our 4th line with Moore last playoff run. During the playoffs you need 4 dependable lines and right now the Rangers don't have one. Maybe Sheppard can fill that void and dropping Fast down gives the Rangers a scoring touch, but that's a big IF.

IMO, Boyle-Moore-Dorsett is a much better playoff line than what we're going to roll with this year. Especially if Glass is in the lineup.

machphantom

Oct 22, 2011
I also don't think you can understate how important having both MSL and Klein will be before the playoffs begin. We just have to hope that they don't need a couple of games to shake off the rust.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I'm fairly confident. I think players like Hayes and Miller are going to fit the playoff style perfectly. Big guys who can skate and don't shy away from contact. Also, guys like Kreider, MSL, McD, Staal and Hank historically play out of their minds in the postseason.

I don't want to turn this thread into yet another Glass thread, but if we're talking about the playoffs and what worries us, we have to talk about him. If he's in the lineup over Sheppard, the team is handicapping itself during what could amount to be the most important NYR postseason in decades. That is totally unacceptable. I don't care who he fought that one time, I don't care how much everybody likes him - these games are for keeps and the Rangers absolutely need to ice the four best lines that they can. The absolute last thing I want to happen is for them to lose early and be able to look back and think, well if only that extremely obvious choice were made differently, they could still be in it. Losing when you put your best foot forward is one thing to deal with, losing when you purposely set yourself up to fail is another.

This is where the losses of Boyle and Stralman are going to hurt the Rangers. Yandle + Boyle is probably better than Moore + Stralman, and I think Klein can pick up some of the slack Stralman left behind.

But the loss of Boyle is going to hurt. He anchored our 4th line with Moore last playoff run. During the playoffs you need 4 dependable lines and right now the Rangers don't have one. Maybe Sheppard can fill that void and dropping Fast down gives the Rangers a scoring touch, but that's a big IF.

IMO, Boyle-Moore-Dorsett is a much better playoff line than what we're going to roll with this year. Especially if Glass is in the lineup.

I don't think it's a big if at all, the only if is whether or not AV will play Sheppard. Shepp put up 6 points in 7 games against the Kings last year in the postseason. I have no doubts about his ability to play a fourth line role well. He just needs to be put out there.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

This is where AV's obsession with Glass has to end. You are 100% spot on. That was a fantastic fourth line and Carcillo was also a solid player for us in the playoffs scoring 2 important goals.

Will Sheppard - Moore - Fast be as good as Boyle - Moore - X? No. Is it still a very good fourth line? Absolutely.

I think our top 3 lines are better than last years and it is enough to over come the slight drop off in our fourth line (provided Sheppard plays and not Glass).

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I don't mind Boston in theory. I have confidence in AV and the team's ability to break their system over the course of a series. The game before last, NYR made them look like they were skating in mud. When both teams are playing with the same motivation, I like NYR's odds. Like it or not, a team that clinched isn't playing with the same intensity as a team that's battling for the last spot. They're just not.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Overall I think my concerns are similar to some here, execution, sharpness are keys based on their style of play. Their best players playing like it, etc.

I'd too would really like to see a 4th line that can get the puck up ice, even better if they can spend some time in that zone.

Maybe not the most important thing, but it allows the D they are playing with to at least not have to spend more energy defending, and it makes the other teams D who they are playing against have to work.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Just like last year, the playoffs are all about match ups.

We do not match up well with Tampa. Not sure what it is, but they seem to play a style that we cannot defend against or score much against.

The Bruins are another team that has shown more than capable of beating the Rangers (I know we have beaten them this year, but they are another team that I am concerned with)

Detroit, an odd team in that I feel we should be better against them than we are. As it is, we are pretty evenly matched. 1-1-1 against the Wings scoring 7 goals and giving up 8. all three games were decided by 1 goal and two of them went to OT. Series would be a toss up.

I like our chances with Montreal, Pitt, Ottawa, Washington and the Islanders.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Current Matchups 4/2/2015

4UYQT21.jpg

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
First round has potential to be an absolute gold mine for the NHL

NYR/NYI
PIT/WAS
MTL/BOS

STL/CHI
VAN/CAL
ANH/LA

All of those matchups have potential of happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad