• Rangerds

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kings

Votes: 3 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
The problem with this poll is different poeople will have different definitions as to who even qualifies for a dark horse, as generally it's more for underdogs than top teams. But - I voted for 3 - whether they should qualify as "dark horse" or not is subjective:

1. Tampa Bay. Most don't really see them as a big threat, but to me it's still the team that has the number of every single playoff team in the eastern conference, the team that won 2 cups and went to 3 straight finals. Yes - a slight misstep last year with round 1 elimination (you can't win every year) - but there's no reason they couldn't bounce back and go all the way this year. If the count as a dark horse - they are #1.

2. Vancouver. They won their division - so do they even qualify as dark horse? I'll say yes because no one seems to give them a chance. Most people see them as the most likely divisional leader out in round 1, and very few see them coming out of the west past Oilers, Vegas, Dallas, Colorado, etc. I could actually see this team do very well - they're not my #1 pick to come out of the west, but they are near the top still.

3. NY Islanders. This one doesn't need to be explained, they are obviously an underdog and qualify. This is a team who has done a lot of dammage in playoffs a few years ago, and I could see them once again playing spoiler and eliminating some top teams.

I left Vegas off. I know they're WC2, but as defending champs I think it'd be stupid to call them a dark horse. But if they fit your own definition of "dark horse" - they would definitely get a vote also.

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
1000000099.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Aurinko

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
In terms of a true darkhorse I'm voting the Capitals. Boring to watch, nobody scores any points, negative a million goal differential-- Who cares? Ovechkin is sitting over there on the dots. If they get a few well-timed powerplays in critical junctures... They're still massive underdogs no matter what but that's what a darkhorse is.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
The problem with this poll is different poeople will have different definitions as to who even qualifies for a dark horse, as generally it's more for underdogs than top teams. But - I voted for 3 - whether they should qualify as "dark horse" or not is subjective:

1. Tampa Bay. Most don't really see them as a big threat, but to me it's still the team that has the number of every single playoff team in the eastern conference, the team that won 2 cups and went to 3 straight finals. Yes - a slight misstep last year with round 1 elimination (you can't win every year) - but there's no reason they couldn't bounce back and go all the way this year. If the count as a dark horse - they are #1.

2. Vancouver. They won their division - so do they even qualify as dark horse? I'll say yes because no one seems to give them a chance. Most people see them as the most likely divisional leader out in round 1, and very few see them coming out of the west past Oilers, Vegas, Dallas, Colorado, etc. I could actually see this team do very well - they're not my #1 pick to come out of the west, but they are near the top still.

3. NY Islanders. This one doesn't need to be explained, they are obviously an underdog and qualify. This is a team who has done a lot of dammage in playoffs a few years ago, and I could see them once again playing spoiler and eliminating some top teams.

I left Vegas off. I know they're WC2, but as defending champs I think it'd be stupid to call them a dark horse. But if they fit your own definition of "dark horse" - they would definitely get a vote also.

It's about interpretion.

I voted Jets and Caps. If Caps get anything done, its a real surprise. Both would be clear dark horse teams if they made it.

For most VGK does not qualify dark horse, but man that is one scary WC2 team. If they take out Stars not many would be surprised.

Last edited:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
In terms of a true darkhorse I'm voting the Capitals. Boring to watch, nobody scores any points, negative a million goal differential-- Who cares? Ovechkin is sitting over there on the dots. If they get a few well-timed powerplays in critical junctures... They're still massive underdogs no matter what but that's what a darkhorse is.

Don't you also have to think a dark horse can make noise in the playoffs?

• Wow

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Islanders

Roy make them plays a really tight system and the Islanders seems to buy into it

If their goalies get hot, they could be a huge problem for everyone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad