• Avs

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Kings, Kraken, Jets.

I'd also include the Devils, Islanders and Panthers if I had more choices, but the three I selected I think would be more surprising.

Reactions: Aurinko

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Kings, Kraken, Jets.

I'd also include the Devils, Islanders and Panthers if I had more choices, but the three I selected I think would be more surprising.

I know it's a young team on their first run but how can the 3rd best (possibly finishing 2nd best) team in the league be a "dark horse"?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I know it's a young team on their first run but how can the 3rd best (possibly finishing 2nd best) team in the league be a "dark horse"?

That’s exactly why I think they are a dark horse.

I think they get a mulligan on whatever happens this year in the post-season.

Enjoy it! The playoffs are more fun without expectations.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Kings seem to be the biggest dark horse to me. They play textbook playoff hockey, have an elite defensive punch at C in Kopi and Danault, a good D core, and a couple young guys who could have a coming out party. Goaltending would be the biggest issue there though.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
That’s exactly why I think they are a dark horse.

I think they get a mulligan on whatever happens this year in the post-season.

I don't think they'd count because even if you don't have them like at the top of what you'd expect it shouldn't come as a surprise with how they've played.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I don't think they'd count because even if you don't have them like at the top of what you'd expect it shouldn't come as a surprise with how they've played.

I'd be pretty surprised to see a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 5 years, twice in 11 years, to go out and win the Cup.

They have some older players but their core is young and relatively inexperienced in the post-season.

I don't think they'd be as much as a surprise as the three teams I voted for, but more so than a lot of the other teams with more playoff experience.

I mean, I have the Panthers there and they are President's Trophy champions from last year, and are probably playing their best hockey at the right time. Not as surprising as the other three I voted for, but still, they eked in.

It really depends on how strict you are with the interpretation I guess.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Kings seem to be the biggest dark horse to me. They play textbook playoff hockey, have an elite defensive punch at C in Kopi and Danault, a good D core, and a couple young guys who could have a coming out party. Goaltending would be the biggest issue there though.

That was also my first pick, they do have qualities of classic dark horse team, starting from the D skill that might shutdown top heavy contenders...

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Bruins, Devils, Kings.

Bruins because they're an option. Though the 95-96 Wings and 18-19 Lightning did fizzle out in the PO.

Devils. a Ruff coached team going on a run without prime Hasek/Miller to Carry them? Doubtful, but for some reason I can still see them going on a run.

Kings. They've got everything a team needs to have success in the PO, with questionable goaltending. If Korpisalo can play like he did last time he was in the PO, they'll be in great shape.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I guess I'm struggling a little bit with the distinction between "most likely to win among the teams least likely to win" or simply "the teams least likely to win".

I went with the latter, really. I think all playoff teams COULD win, so any team could be a dark horse if they aren't a favourite.

I see the Jets have one vote (mine), which makes me think that no one thinks they could possibly win, so they aren't a dark horse according to the first definition.

Maybe I'm doing this wrong.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
I guess I'm struggling a little bit with the distinction between "most likely to win among the teams least likely to win" or simply "the teams least likely to win".

I went with the latter, really. I think all playoff teams COULD win, so any team could be a dark horse if they aren't a favourite.

I see the Jets have one vote (mine), which makes me think that no one thinks they could possibly win, so they aren't a dark horse according to the first definition.

Maybe I'm doing this wrong.
That's why there is a poll that ends before playoffs. If there really is a real dark horse that wins the cup, it's not going to get many votes :D

I think dark horse picks are fun. Maybe it's more about just interpreting the results, since I know many are like me and jump the wagon if there is an underdog team that gets hot in the playoffs and manages to get to the later rounds. In that case it's fun to speculate who saw it coming, even if they don't win the cup and as such aren't a "real" dark horse.

Last edited:

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Bruins, Devils, Kings.

Bruins because they're an option. Though the 95-96 Wings and 18-19 Lightning did fizzle out in the PO.

Devils. a Ruff coached team going on a run without prime Hasek/Miller to Carry them? Doubtful, but for some reason I can still see them going on a run.

Kings. They've got everything a team needs to have success in the PO, with questionable goaltending. If Korpisalo can play like he did last time he was in the PO, they'll be in great shape.

I had to change for Devils, Kings, Panthers.

Obviously it would be something if Panthers got anywhere, since nobody with full brain cells expects them to beat "anyone" in the playoffs.

Reactions: Burt Macklin

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think the Islanders are the real conventional "dark horse" team. They're comfortable playing those close, defensive games and have the netminder to backstop that kind of style. I could easily see them dragging a series into a whole bunch of one goal games that Sorokin makes the difference in tipping in their favour.

It's obviously wrong to call Tampa a "dark horse" but it feels like they've really been laying low all year. They're obviously a scary team that could go all the way, despite the lack of real flash and fanfare around them through the regular season.

I also think the Devils are a sneaky good team that could go really far. They don't have much in the way of playoff experience in their roster, but those sort of "youthful enthusiasm" teams can be really dangerous in those situations. If they come in flying and not really feeling the weight of it, where i think a lot of the players and fans are just excited to be back in the playoffs after a while. Playing loose with no expectations, combined with the gamebreaking offensive talent they have, and a super deep blueline...i could see them going deep. Or washing out in 5 games as equally possible. But they're a good dark horse pick imo.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Even if you have a pretty clear idea on which ones are the favorites and which ones not, it's still fun to compare the polls.
Ya I am just saying that a dark horse is usually a team that isn't getting a lot of consideration. I'd say anyone who finishes 1-8 in the confidence rankings isn't really under the radar.

Oddly, your team NJ could be a rare "dark horse" juggernaught. The media is all over Edmonton, Tampa, Boston, Colorado, but NJ was just as good or better all season and not many are talking about them going deep.

Most likely to win the Cup 5-8 is now up. We will see if HF gives them their deserved respect.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Jets and Wild.

I dont consider the following dark horses:

Bruins
Oilers
Leafs
Avalanche
Rangers
Hurricanes
Lightning

Stars/Knights/Devils are borderline

Kraken
Kings
Islanders
Panthers

Dont see it happening for them^

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Jets and Wild.

I dont consider the following dark horses:

Bruins
Oilers
Leafs
Avalanche
Rangers
Hurricanes
Lightning

Stars/Knights/Devils are borderline

Kraken
Kings
Islanders
Panthers

Dont see it happening for them^
This is very close to a consensus with the current information.

The bottom half of teams are expected to be weak, but every year there is an unexpected team that just keeps on plowing through the rounds. If any of the 6 "weak" teams pushes though, people will hop on their train instantly.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
1681804111466.png

Leaving the poll open, but here were the results after the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad