Playoff clutch goalies

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
What goalies are built for the playoffs only ?? Kinda like a clutch goalie

Any goalie can get hot at anytime nowadays. There is no Patrick Roy like goalie in the league right now who just had another gear built in him when it came to the playoffs.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Historically, no ones comes near Patrick Roy.

Recently, Quick and Thomas come to mind. But they're not on Roy's level.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Chris Osgood comes to mind. At least from a regular season to playoff comparison. He was a pretty average goalie in the regular season, but has had quite a few nice playoff runs. He could have even won the Conn Smythe in 2008 and could have won it (if Detroit won the cup) in 09. The funny thing was that he was absolutely awful in the 08-09 regular season, then was beastly that playoffs, before going back to being awful again in the 09-10 regular season and retiring after 10-11. I know it could have just been a random happening, but it was pretty remarkable how he went from an .887 save percentage over 46 games in the 08-09 regular season, to a .926 save percentage in 23 games in the 09 playoffs. I figured with how poor he was that year, he might have them sunk in the first round that year.

Eh

He's only been past the first round one time though? Not that he was nearly the reason the Islanders didn't advance to round two in 2015 and he was injured in the second game of the 2012 playoffs. But if he's clutch, Mike Smith should probably be considered a clutch playoff goalie too. And Mike Smith's 2012 playoffs were a lot more than impressive than Halak's 2010 playoffs, but no one ever talks about it anymore.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Is Roy really 10-1 in the playoffs in OT?

I would have figured that he played more than 11 OT games in his 247 playoff games.

I thought he was 10-1 (or something like that) just in one playoff year alone?

No way that's career, he played more than 11 OT playoff games in his career. I remember he won 10 playoff OT's in a row.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Any goalie can get hot at anytime nowadays. There is no Patrick Roy like goalie in the league right now who just had another gear built in him when it came to the playoffs.

Agreed. Quick had it in LA a couple of playoff runs. Most starters on playoff teams are excellent goalies and can steal games.

To me the key factor on playoff starters is their reaction to a bad goal or a bad game. Does playing poor for a short stretch get in your head or do you immediately mentally forget it and keep focus.

Anderson from the Sens is a very decent NHL starter that can do that. Best in franchise history IMO. That is what I feel like what makes a good playoff goalie. Even if you struggle you just bounce back and don't let it mess with your head.

Right now all the playoff teams left seem to be getting really good goaltending.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Is Roy really 10-1 in the playoffs in OT?

I would have figured that he played more than 11 OT games in his 247 playoff games.

I thought he was 10-1 (or something like that) just in one playoff year alone?

No way that's career, he played more than 11 OT playoff games in his career. I remember he won 10 playoff OT's in a row.

Dude that was one playoff run in 1993. Dropped the first playoff OT he was in that season then won the next 10 in a row!

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Maybe I'm the minority but ill take Quick over anyone right now... he absolutely steals games, and makes saves that get in the other teams head.

Jiggy would be another good answer

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
He's only been past the first round one time though? Not that he was nearly the reason the Islanders didn't advance to round two in 2015 and he was injured in the second game of the 2012 playoffs. But if he's clutch, Mike Smith should probably be considered a clutch playoff goalie too. And Mike Smith's 2012 playoffs were a lot more than impressive than Halak's 2010 playoffs, but no one ever talks about it anymore.

Sorry, but Halak's run in 2010 was classic, and more impressive than Smith's. The Habs were a bubble playoff team that came back to beat the Presidents Trophy winner, Washington, and followed it up by beating the defending Cup champs, Pittsburgh. Imagine any team from this year doing that to the exact same two powerhouses. By comparison, Smith's Coyotes beat Chicago and Nashville, two good teams, but not at the same difficulty level.

Smith gave Phoenix a run to be proud of, but Halak's heroics have become a verb -- "They were Halak-ed".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad