Playoff All-Star Teams

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
With 3 forwards

I would lean towards Spezza over Heatley in 2007 too. He just seemed like more of a catalyst to me.

Conn Smythe winner Claude Lemieux takes the forward spot over Broten in 1995. No question. The 3 forwards remain unchanged.

Carbonneau over Damphousse in 1993.

Self face-palm on the bolded

I was leaning toward Carbonneau also

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
What about Pahlsson?

agreed. pahlsson certainly ahead of heatley and spezza, very possibly ahead of getzlaf too.

also, 1991, casey stole games, but tinordi led the way. probably the best defenseman of that playoffs, no worse than second behind bourque.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
and tikkanen over simpson in '90. he was edmonton's best forward in the playoffs for two years there, and i wish i could put him in alongside neely in '91. but that pittsburgh offense...

and i'm surprised TDDM hasn't said this yet, but scott stevens has a very good case over zubov in '94.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
and tikkanen over simpson in '90. he was edmonton's best forward in the playoffs for two years there, and i wish i could put him in alongside neely in '91. but that pittsburgh offense...

and i'm surprised TDDM hasn't said this yet, but scott stevens has a very good case over zubov in '94.

1990 is tough. I don't have much of a memory of this, but it seems hard to believe that the guy that leads the playoffs in points (31) and goals (16) is not making the squad. I'm not saying you are wrong, but I would love to hear some more opinions on this.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
simpson was a fantastic sniper, no doubt. but tikkanen's shut down ability was phenomenal that year. they swept the kings, who beat them the year before, in large part because tikkanen never left wayne's side and holding him to one goal while potting four of his own.

i just remember him being the guy muckler wanted out there in every situation, whether it was to shadow someone, kill a penalty, when they needed a clutch goal, or whatever. and he just delivered over and over again.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
simpson was a fantastic sniper, no doubt. but tikkanen's shut down ability was phenomenal that year. they swept the kings, who beat them the year before, in large part because tikkanen never left wayne's side and holding him to one goal while potting four of his own.

i just remember him being the guy muckler wanted out there in every situation, whether it was to shadow someone, kill a penalty, when they needed a clutch goal, or whatever. and he just delivered over and over again.

I like it, going with Tikkanen over Simpson until someone has a good reason against it. (I don't think there's any argument for Simpson over Messier or Neely)

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
This thread was mentioned in another, so I thought I'd give it a BUMP. I would love to get some more input on the current list and continue on into the 80's and further.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i enjoyed the discussion in this thread immensely. if we want to make this a bigger project, it might make sense to start a thread for individual years and we can discuss and decide (or maybe even vote) on the all-star teams, starting with last year and moving backwards one-by-one.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
1990 is tough. I don't have much of a memory of this, but it seems hard to believe that the guy that leads the playoffs in points (31) and goals (16) is not making the squad. I'm not saying you are wrong, but I would love to hear some more opinions on this.

tikkanen played against every opponents' top scorer (i think all C's) and made them much less effective.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
What do you guys think it should be for this year? (3 forwards can be any position)

How about this...

Kesler - Krejci - Marchand

Seidenberg - Chara

Thomas

HM: Bieksa

Unaffiliated

Aug 26, 2010
Richmond, B.C.
What do you guys think it should be for this year? (3 forwards can be any position)

How about this...

Kesler - Krejci - Marchand

Seidenberg - Chara

Thomas

HM: Bieksa

If you're just going to cherry-pick Kesler out of rounds 1 and 2, then Datsyuk should be there as well.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
This is a fantastic idea, and I really wish these things were official.
There'd be no more halfwits claiming "Crosby isn't a playoff performer because Malkin has the Conn Smythe"...well, there would, but they'd be shot down a lot faster.
It's also great to recognize guys who had great runs to the conference final.

Anyone think that Cam Ward deserves to be discussed along Osgood for 2009?

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Marchand - Krejci - St Louis
Chara -Seidenberg

Thomas

seems really wrong not to have any Vancouver players, but I thought they didn't have anyone stand out that much, definitely not as much as St Louis.

Maybe replace Marchand with Kesler? Marchand vs Kesler vs Bergeron was the only tough choice for me

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Chara -Seidenberg

Thomas

seems really wrong not to have any Vancouver players, but I thought they didn't have anyone stand out that much, definitely not as much as St Louis.

Maybe replace Marchand with Kesler? Marchand vs Kesler vs Bergeron was the only tough choice for me

I had the same debate in my head between Kesler, St. Louis, Marchand, and Bergeron, and cases can probably be made for all 4.

I saw the least of St. Louis, so I would like to hear more on his performance, but I was very impressed with Kesler through the Conference Finals. He appeared to get injured in game 1 of the Finals, yet was still their best player in certain games. Since St. Louis didn't play in the Finals and could have also gotten injured in the Finals himself, how do these 2 compare in the first 3 rounds?

Marchand is simply a matter of how much weight you put on Finals performance, where he was superb (5-2-7,+4).

Bergeron is probably last on the list for me, although considering his defensive play and faceoff ability perhaps I am underrating him.

I'm still stuck. Any other thoughts on these 4?

(I also agree with TDMM, that it would feel very strange not to have one Canuck player on the squad)

Reds4Life

Dec 24, 2007
Chara -Seidenberg

Thomas

For my money, Datsyuk was clearly the best center in 2011's playoffs.

I'd go:
Marchand - Datsyuk - St. Louis
Chara - Seidenberg
Thomas

plusandminus

Mar 7, 2011
From what I saw (not every game), I'll probably have Datsyuk as best skater. He was excellent.

Interesting to see so maning have Thomas, Chara and Seidenberg. It sort of makes it look as if Boston had some defensive strength. ;)
Regarding the final, I suppose it can be looked from several angles. Pretty understandable that Vancouver forwards had some trouble scoring, as they were facing these three guys. On the other hand, it's two-way... Maybe the play of the Vancouver forwards during the final, helped these guys look even better than otherwise. I mean, other forwards/teams did manage to score more goals on Boston than Vancouver did.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

I'd go:
Chara - Seidenberg
Thomas

Datsyuk was great, but he got all his points by beating up on two terrible defenses in San Jose and Phoenix. I'm hesitant to list someone who lost in the second round as a playoff all star for that reason.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
(real positions)

marchand kesler st. louis
chara seidenberg
thomas

though i have a sneaking feeling i just put kesler in there to make myself feel better. the best center could easily have been bergeron, krejci, or even lecavalier (vinnie's best playoff run, weird as that is to say).

humour me and let me pretend that it's like actual award voting where bergeron and krejci split the vote, allowing kesler to take it.

Soderberg

Mar 29, 2011

I'd go:
Chara - Seidenberg
Thomas

Krejci with the most points and goals after having a horrible first round.. better post-season than Datsyuk imo.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Bumping this thread to pick an All-Star team for the 2012 playoffs. Here's a list of candidates as a starting off point...

Forwards: Brown, Kopitar, Kovalchuk, Parise, Zajac, Giroux?
Defense: Doughty, Zidlicky, Salvador
Goalie: Quick, Brodeur

I think Brown, Kopitar, Doughty, and Quick are must haves. Who should the other 2 spots go to? (position does not matter for forwards)

EDIT: It will most likely be 2 Devils, hopefully TDMM has some good input for this...My gut says Kovalchuk and Zidlicky

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
F: Ilya Kovalchuk, Anze Kopitar, Dustin Brown
D: Drew Doughty, Bryce Salvador
G: Jonathan Quick

I think that has to be it.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad