Playing D in a non-contact league

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
You want to contain them wide. Block their lane to the net so that they're forced to drive wide and eventually behind the net.

NewEnglandSportsFan*

positioning is key as others have said.

Or maybe just randomly lie down in front of them to catch them off guard? :P

SouthpawTRK

Sep 18, 2009
Northern California
I would contact your league director in regards to the inconsistency of the refs. There are a lot of beer league/adult rec leagues that usually have one ref that has a lot of experience and one ref that is a rookie. But, if you don't let the league director know that specific refs are calling penalties for incidental contact; the problem may be happening to other teams; therefore the league director cannot fix the problem.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Yes, that was the hardest thing for me to learn. Non Checking does not mean Non Contact.
  • Use your body. Don't be afraid to use it to guide them into the boards. If there's a gap between you and the boards, and they go for it, don't be afraid to shrink that gap. They chose to go there.
  • Know what they're going, and get their first. If your opponent is streaking down the wing, he's going to make a break for the net, usually about the time he hits the faceoff dot. Don't follow him, go where he's going, charge at the corner of your net. You'll get there first, and be in a position to make him make the move.
  • If they're planted in front of the net don't be afraid to move them out of the way, it's YOUR net. Just get behind them, put your stick on them and push. Don't hit them with the stick, but it to guide them out from the front of your net.
  • Lift their stick. Even if the puck is nowhere near them, lift their stick. Get them thinking about you, what you're going to do, not about the puck and what they're going to do with it.
  • When all else fails, fall back. It's a lot better if the player goes around you if you're in the slot close to the crease because he doesn't have much space to get a shot off on goal. If he goes around you at the blue line, your goalie will start cursing you out.

These are great tips.

I also play D in a beer league and it can be very frustrating at times because you can play a truly great game but there is no commitment from forwards most of the time to help out. But you can only really focus on your part of the game.

To add to the points above for defensive purposes try to play on your shooting side if possible. Having stick position to the ouside forces players to cut to the middle which is a lot harder to do for a forward provided that you get support from your other D and Center.

Also don't get mesmirzed by a players stickhandling. Pay attention to his hips and more often than not they will show you what that player is planning and then you need to contain that (cut to the outside, inside, speed changes, etc).

Jimmy Carter

Avs/Leafs fan
Jul 24, 2010
Western NY
As others have said, just because you can't check doesn't mean you can't use your body. Pushing, bumping elbows, etc. usually flies in no checking leagues. How else are you supposed to clear the front of the net? They just want to avoid people stumbling off the ice ala Sami Kapanen. That doesn't mean you can't knock people off the puck with your body

Jimmy Carter

Avs/Leafs fan
Jul 24, 2010
Western NY
Yes, that was the hardest thing for me to learn. Non Checking does not mean Non Contact.
  • Use your body. Don't be afraid to use it to guide them into the boards. If there's a gap between you and the boards, and they go for it, don't be afraid to shrink that gap. They chose to go there.
  • Know what they're going, and get their first. If your opponent is streaking down the wing, he's going to make a break for the net, usually about the time he hits the faceoff dot. Don't follow him, go where he's going, charge at the corner of your net. You'll get there first, and be in a position to make him make the move.
  • If they're planted in front of the net don't be afraid to move them out of the way, it's YOUR net. Just get behind them, put your stick on them and push. Don't hit them with the stick, but it to guide them out from the front of your net.
  • Lift their stick. Even if the puck is nowhere near them, lift their stick. Get them thinking about you, what you're going to do, not about the puck and what they're going to do with it.
  • When all else fails, fall back. It's a lot better if the player goes around you if you're in the slot close to the crease because he doesn't have much space to get a shot off on goal. If he goes around you at the blue line, your goalie will start cursing you out.

Awesome point. To add, if you do this, you'll also be in great position to clear out the rebound that is sure to come (more often than not guys will take that low percentage shot anyway). I'd rather get burned in the slot and save the goal by clearing the puck out from the front of the net then try and make some crazy, risk laden defensive play at the blue-line.

Trojan35

Jan 11, 2007
Awesome point. To add, if you do this, you'll also be in great position to clear out the rebound that is sure to come (more often than not guys will take that low percentage shot anyway). I'd rather get burned in the slot and save the goal by clearing the puck out from the front of the net then try and make some crazy, risk laden defensive play at the blue-line.

I assume both of you are defensemen. Goalies have a different opinion about you just backing up into their crease.

I'm not saying stand everyone up at the blue line, but just skating backwards into your own low slot is not helpful (IMO).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad