Value of: Players your team needs to dump and players who won't make the cut

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Looking at cap structures across the league, it seems every other team is gonna be dealing with a cap crunch. Who on your team needs to take a hike? Who on your team would you like to keep, but you can't afford?
What returns will you tolerate?

:panthers

Matheson 4.9m x 6y
Loads of potential and skill. A knock-off Kris Letang, but cannot stay in FLA. Completely useless and will only be a healthy scratch for us, but the right place could turn him into a stud.
Would take back pretty much anything.

Stralman 5.5m x 2y (NTC)
Bottom pair defensive RHD.
Would take back pretty much anything.

Brett Connolly 3.5m x 3y
Middle six depth scorer. Very streaky and overall a meh player. We could keep him, but wouldn't hesitate to offer him up in a larger trade.

Yandle 6.35m x 3y (NMC)
Middle pair offensive LHD. Can still rack up points and QB a power play. His contract isn't really bad for us, but we need a shake-up. We will be looking to move him for a replacement top 4 defenseman.

bold: it is a huge gesture of hope that a guy who has shown nothing whatsoever except world class skating, and ONLY that aspect of the game, could = a stud performer w/right club.

The 4.85 is a solid wince
but the overriding scream of pain is the 6 yrs term

The thought, which is really a hope only at this pt, that he is worth something at 3-3.5 is wishful thinking. He has done, and gives no indication that he actually can, be a fully productive player. Unless/until that changes, he has, and will continue to have negative value.

Now, negative value under the right conditions can still be moved vs other negative values, esp if there is a possible fit.

Today, Rangers are not a match for Math.
However, NY is a team w/deep pockets and while expense is not irrelevant, if we could dump enough immediate obligation and take Math on at 3.3 or so long term, then we are effectively paying $ to create cash flow.

Understand, NY has zero expectation Math will be productive. That would be a gamble vs., a bucking of the trend. For NY, he could be a stopgap while K'A Miller gets here upcoming season or following, and we have Jones, Reunanen and Robertson all as LD possibles, all elc.

He stopgaps, if we don't get lucky, which is not something we should expect or pay for, fine, we expose him on exp dr; if he's taken, great, if not, we hold as long as makes sense and down the road we can deal w/retention.

For THAT to work, we need the following:
- Staal at 5.7 expiring to waive and dealt to FL. He presum wants to stay NYC local, so there would have to be an understanding if he wants out, Panthers oblige and buy him out. This is added short term pain for Pants, but long term structural cap relief.
- Smith expiring 4.35
- FL retain 1.35 to = Math at 3.5
and
NY needs to juggle it's core/manage its roster.
Deangelo has to go for decent value. Panthers can use.
Compromise. Instead of all Dea return = picks this year, instead:

Deangelo
for
2020 FL 2nd, 2022 FL 1st + rfa rights to RD Chad Priskie

this is on top of the other deal for Math, like a package in 2 installments.

this would only work for NY this yr.
next yr Staal, Smith off the books and no need for Math as possible stopgap.

Warm up, Elvis: "It's now or never....".
_______
Stralman is solid but borrowed time. If a decent offer, go there.

Yandle is rough at 6.3+ x 3. Go younger, cheaper. If Habs will take for virtually free (7th rd) in exchange for taking on cap, go there, redeploy cap.

We don't NEED to dump them, but we'd LIKE to dump them

Rangers:

Marc Staal (one year left)
Henrik Lundqvist (one year left)
Brendan Smith (one year left)

concur except Hank.
Geo to highest bidder
use Hank,
THEN
dep on how ready Wall is,
let Hank return [assuming he still has enough left in the tank and will be classy and do a Lou Gehrig and tell us if that is no longer the case] and have him sign 1 yr at a time only and only for league min.

That would be best case scenario

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
Ducks are in a rather good cap situation and don't really have any bad deals to dump.

A few may say Henrique, but I think the Ducks knew exactly what they were paying for when they made that deal and so far, they have gotten it. Leading scorer, versatile forward, great vet to have for the upcoming kids.

Maybe some would say Gudbranson? He's UFA at the end of the year though and showed good play when paired with Fowler. No need to dump him.

Backes was obviously acquired as a dump, to let him walk as a UFA end of this year.

All-around good position to be in for a rebuilding team, with plenty of room coming after the ED as well.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It will be an interesting off-season. Economics will likely play a big part of any team's roster decisions. You still need to pay the top end guys, just now the structure will change from the past couple of seasons where the contracts are more mid to back loaded versus front loaded due to escrow and drop in revenues in the next couple of seasons.

As for cap dumps, there are too many teams that have guys that they want to move, either because they want to upgrade or they need room to sign someone else. I think teams will take stock of their financial situation and either ride out these bad contracts if there is only 1 season left on them or find a way to retain on 2-3 guys in order to free up enough cap space to do what they need to do.

As for the teams with cap space, the Det, Ott, NJ, LA they can take on around 3 players who would carry a $5 mill cap hit at most. But, then the question is economics. Are they going to spend the money to take on those contracts? The other side for them is that there should also be the middle class of players who are going to get squeezed. Like a Killorn in TB, RFAs who have arbitration rights which may now be too rich for some teams. Are these teams at the bottom maybe looking at surrounding their young players with better middle 6 talent? Guess it depends where they are in their cycle. If you are coming out of the rebuild, getting these types of players will help you ascend and take pressure off your young players.

We'll see how schools do and how well they deal with outbreaks and the like. I don't foresee NHL games with 5 figures of fans at the games. Not in an indoor stadium. NFL teams I think are down to 20% capacity max for this season and they may change that.

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
JVR, and that's about it. I do think Gostisbehere is done in Philly, but that's not necessity, he's just our only "valuable" asset worth moving.

Troy

Nov 28, 2017
Why do we need to dump Perreault? He has one year left and we'll have no cap problems this year unless we start up a 2016 free agent frenzy.

I'd rather he be gone so we can play the younger guys more, but not if it costs anything.
I was just saying id like him off the team but i know it wont happen lol. I know it cost an asset to do it. To me Perreault is to injury prone to move anyway, that and he takes penalties at the worse possible times in a game. . But i think hes taking a roster spot also to a younger player that can make a difference

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
It will be an interesting off-season. Economics will likely play a big part of any team's roster decisions. You still need to pay the top end guys, just now the structure will change from the past couple of seasons where the contracts are more mid to back loaded versus front loaded due to escrow and drop in revenues in the next couple of seasons.

As for cap dumps, there are too many teams that have guys that they want to move, either because they want to upgrade or they need room to sign someone else. I think teams will take stock of their financial situation and either ride out these bad contracts if there is only 1 season left on them or find a way to retain on 2-3 guys in order to free up enough cap space to do what they need to do.

As for the teams with cap space, the Det, Ott, NJ, LA they can take on around 3 players who would carry a $5 mill cap hit at most. But, then the question is economics. Are they going to spend the money to take on those contracts? The other side for them is that there should also be the middle class of players who are going to get squeezed. Like a Killorn in TB, RFAs who have arbitration rights which may now be too rich for some teams. Are these teams at the bottom maybe looking at surrounding their young players with better middle 6 talent? Guess it depends where they are in their cycle. If you are coming out of the rebuild, getting these types of players will help you ascend and take pressure off your young players.

We'll see how schools do and how well they deal with outbreaks and the like. I don't foresee NHL games with 5 figures of fans at the games. Not in an indoor stadium. NFL teams I think are down to 20% capacity max for this season and they may change that.

I agree. It's going to be an interesting or rough offseason for UFAs and RFAs. Take your pick as to the adjective used. I think so many teams will have internal caps. There aren't too many teams willing to take on a dump. With more teams looking to dump salary and fewer able to accpet, that means the price to dump a player will go up, perhaps to a level no team is willing to pay.

Honestly, I don't see the Kings taking any cap dumps. The kings cut staff and even let a fan favorite insider go. The kings have the top prospect pool and a ton of picks. It's not critical to restock via cap dumps. Ottawa certainly isn't taking on dumps. They couldn't even pay their coaches.

About 9 minutes in. No one really can take dumps. Maybe just Montreal or Detroit. Wings fans know better about detroit.

Ferraro: The Lightning are tougher now, but still have their stars

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Ducks are in a rather good cap situation and don't really have any bad deals to dump.

A few may say Henrique, but I think the Ducks knew exactly what they were paying for when they made that deal and so far, they have gotten it. Leading scorer, versatile forward, great vet to have for the upcoming kids.

Maybe some would say Gudbranson? He's UFA at the end of the year though and showed good play when paired with Fowler. No need to dump him.

Backes was obviously acquired as a dump, to let him walk as a UFA end of this year.

All-around good position to be in for a rebuilding team, with plenty of room coming after the ED as well.

Ducks should be taking on 1-2 year cap dumps like Backes. If Ducks can get a decent pick or prospect back with them. It's not like any of the young guys have stepped up enough to warrant a huge pay bump and the old guys are either signed for the next couple years or are probably going to take paycuts (Getzlaf) to come back.

And I agree Henrique should be kept unless there's a good offer for him, guys like him and Silf will help shelter the kids with vets that are defensively responsible and are good examples on the ice of guys that work and play smart. Gudbranson, depending on the price, would be worth bringing back if he keeps playing like he did. Big guy that plays defense and can stick up for his teammates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad