Value of: Players your team needs to dump and players who won't make the cut

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Looking at cap structures across the league, it seems every other team is gonna be dealing with a cap crunch. Who on your team needs to take a hike? Who on your team would you like to keep, but you can't afford?
What returns will you tolerate?

:panthers

Matheson 4.9m x 6y
Loads of potential and skill. A knock-off Kris Letang, but cannot stay in FLA. Completely useless and will only be a healthy scratch for us, but the right place could turn him into a stud.
Would take back pretty much anything.

Stralman 5.5m x 2y (NTC)
Bottom pair defensive RHD.
Would take back pretty much anything.

Brett Connolly 3.5m x 3y
Middle six depth scorer. Very streaky and overall a meh player. We could keep him, but wouldn't hesitate to offer him up in a larger trade.

Yandle 6.35m x 3y (NMC)
Middle pair offensive LHD. Can still rack up points and QB a power play. His contract isn't really bad for us, but we need a shake-up. We will be looking to move him for a replacement top 4 defenseman.

Reactions: Shootica

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
We don't NEED to dump them, but we'd LIKE to dump them

Rangers:

Marc Staal (one year left)
Henrik Lundqvist (one year left)
Brendan Smith (one year left)

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Alzner. Hopefully he just retires rather than riding the bus in Laval. They should make him walk to games.

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY
Really good thread idea, this should become a really good reference/jumping off point for people.

For the Sabres, we don't have any contracts we really need to dump. Okposo's contract isn't pretty, but it isn't worth paying the price to offload it.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
OK, I'll play.:wild

Vic Rask- 2 years @ 4M He's a mediocre 4C. Harmless, mostly.

Mats Zuccarello- 5 @ 6M decent middle six player that is overpaid by 2-2.5M. Has an NMC till after the Seattle ED. Will take back a similar player, but one who plays C.

Parise- 5 @ 7.5M AAV(18M actual salary) NMC decent top 6 goal scorer overpaid by about 1.5-2M. Contract status makes him perfect for a cash strapped organization that has no cap worries.

Greg Pateryn- one year @ 2.25M. Stay at home, solid bottom pairing RHD. Mid round pick?

Dubnyk- one year @4.3M AAV, 2.5M actual salary.

Last edited:

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

Vic Rask- 2 years @ 4M He's a mediocre 4C. Harmless, mostly.

Mats Zuccarello- 5 @ 6M decent middle six player that is overpaid by 2-2.5M. Has an NMC till after the Seattle ED.

Parise- 5 @ 7.5M AAV(actual total dollar amount 18M) NMC decent top 6 goal scorer overpaid by about 1.5-2M. Contract status makes him perfect for a cash strapped organization that has no cap worries.

Greg Pateryn- one year @ 2.25M. Stay at home, solid bottom pairing RHD.
Have you ever actually watched a Wild game?

kerrabria

May 3, 2018

Parise- 5 @ 7.5M AAV(18M actual salary) NMC decent top 6 goal scorer overpaid by about 1.5-2M. Contract status makes him perfect for a cash strapped organization that has no cap worries.

Dubnyk- one year @4M AAV, 2.5M actual salary.
If it weren't for the NMC, I would think Parise was destined to eat into Ottawa's 40m of cap space in a trade for Tierney. Gives MN cap relief and lightens the winger glut to get a long term center. For OTT, Parise would be a good partner for whichever youngster they put at 2C while simultaneously pushing rookies like Formenton down the lineup where they'll face lesser competition and have to earn their minutes.

Wouldn't it be easier to just buy Dubnyk out? 2.6m this year and 0.8m next. I'm sure whatever returning contract/retained salary the Wild will have to deal with to dump a 4.3m x 2y backup will end up making a buyout preferable.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
:canes

Tier 1 Dump

Gardiner ($4.05 mil x 3) - He doesn't fit the system and now is in the way on the left side (Slavin/Skjei/Fleury with Bean in Chicago). A swap of similar dumps is the most likely scenario.

Dzingel ($3.375 mil x 1)
- Getting healthy scratched in the playoffs is hard to spin. A different look can be acquired for a similar contract in free agency this year. I could see interest, particularly with retention.

Tier 2 Dump
Niederreiter ($5.25 mil x 2) - Slim pickings if the team looks to free agency to replace him. Still, getting out of his contract may be the prudent thing to do with Svechnikov's raise upcoming. I expect less of a dump than Gardiner returns if they go in this direction.

Mrazek ($3.125 mil x 1)
- The skaters let the goalies down against Boston. It appears that Carolina's FO is interested in doing something in net, though. Reimer's bonus may have already been paid, making him the one to keep for next season I think. I could see interest, particularly with retention.

At least the Canes aren't dealing with a true cap crunch. If the market is unforgiving, there's enough to resign the key RFAs and move on. Waddell said that they would near the cap in his end of season presser.

They do need to reflect on missing the mark on the 2019 offseason to the extent they did, however. That was chaotic in hindsight, from a botched negotiation for the #1 center, to some regrettable contracts handed out to Waddell publicly flirting with Minnesota.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
@kerrabria

Actually, Dubnyk would be cheaper to buy out, because his salary owed is 2.5M. Until the owners know whether they are going to be playing in front of fans, I don't think you are going to see a lot of buyouts this year.

Yeah, the only way Parise waives is to go to a competitive team, and most competitive teams aren't willing to take on his cap hit for 5 more years....unless they plan to send cap back.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
:canes

Tier 1 Dump

Gardiner ($4.05 mil x 3) - He doesn't fit the system and now is in the way on the left side (Slavin/Skjei/Fleury with Bean in Chicago). A swap of similar dumps is the most likely scenario.

Dzingel ($3.375 mil x 1)
- Getting healthy scratched in the playoffs is hard to spin. A different look can be acquired for a similar contract in free agency this year. I could see interest, particularly with retention.

Tier 2 Dump
Niederreiter ($5.25 mil x 2) - Slim pickings if the team looks to free agency to replace him. Still, getting out of his contract may be the prudent thing to do with Svechnikov's raise upcoming. I expect less of a dump than Gardiner returns if they go in this direction.

Mrazek ($3.125 mil x 1)
- The skaters let the goalies down against Boston. It appears that Carolina's FO is interested in doing something in net, though. Reimer's bonus may have already been paid, making him the one to keep for next season I think. I could see interest, particularly with retention.

At least the Canes aren't dealing with a true cap crunch. If the market is unforgiving, there's enough to resign the key RFAs and move on. Waddell said that they would near the cap in his end of season presser.

They do need to reflect on missing the mark on the 2019 offseason to the extent they did, however. That was chaotic in hindsight, from a botched negotiation for the #1 center, to some regrettable contracts handed out to Waddell publicly flirting with Minnesota.
Any chance the Canucks could swap Sutter for Dzingel? Could be your 4c or play on the wing on the 3rd line.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
It's becoming pretty clear that Fleury has to go. If Vegas packs him with $2M retention, I think he is good for a 2nd from a team that really needs a bridge 1A

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
LA doesn’t really have any terrible contracts. The Kings aren’t competing next year, so guys like Brown, Carter, and Quick are fine. I don’t really want to see Lewis or Clifford back, but they’re both UFAs so who knows. The only roster guy I really don’t want to see again is Michael Amadio. He shows a couple flashes of top six potential every year, followed by long stretches of soft, floating garbage. If he could find an edge to his game and look less lethargic, I think he could have a solid career. But he is routinely the least motivated, most scared player on the ice. Hope he finds success somewhere that isn’t LA.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
It's becoming pretty clear that Fleury has to go. If Vegas packs him with $2M retention, I think he is good for a 2nd from a team that really needs a bridge 1A

Doubtful, brutal numbers this year should kill those thoughts.

Why give up a 2nd for Fleury at 5 million for 2 years when you can find a free agent goalie for much cheaper who will probably also give you better goaltending.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Bozak is probably the easiest choice with 1 year remaining at $5 million. He’s still a useful player but just overpaid by about $2 million and with Petro being a UFA the team needs all the spare cap it can get. Steen is another guy overpaid for what he brings at this point, but again that’s only for a year, and I don’t think there’s any chance he waives his NTC.

The only out and out terrible contract the Blues have at this point is Faulk and I think sending a sweetener along to Seattle is probably the only way to get out from under it.

Reactions: qqaz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad