Players you thought were overrated. But aren't

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
Hamonic for me. Guy is just so responsible, there's never a time when he's on the ice when I would ever hope he would make a dumb error

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
Thought Pavelski was overrated and just put up points due to Jumbo Joe. He killed that train of thought this yr, guys is as good as advertised.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Given how much flack Kessel has taken on this board I'm surprised the ratio of Kessel to others is as low as it is. I expected every other poster to be eating crow about Phil.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Jason Spezza is one of the most underrated players I'm the last 15 years.

If it wasn't for the lockout in 2005 or some injuries he'd be close to 1000 points now. He still has a decent shot at it.

His vision is godly and what pisses me off is that people keep saying "if only he shot more."

Umm.. Jason has hit 30+ goals like 5 or 6 times in his career including last season and over his career he has averaged over 29 goals per 82 games.

Stud.

Most sens are until they leave. The ugly step sister of the leafs and habs just gets in the way of their coverage. Atleast thats how it feels when TSN or Sportsnet attempts to cover them nationally.

darglor

Feb 17, 2012
Pittsburgh fans will say Kessel
Ottawa fans will say Phaneuf
The rest of the league is getting there, the Leafs stench has yet to fade.
Why would Ottawa fans say Phaneuf? We got exactly what we expected out of that deal. The problem was that Leafs fans hyped him as a true #1, which he wasn't. He was overrated by that vocal minority.

We expected, and got, someone to anchor our 2nd pairing.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Anyway, another one for me is Chris Tanev. I still dont think he's as good as some Nucks fans portray him as. But he's a solid #2/3 Dman I have come to realize. I struggled to even consider him a Top 4 before the World Championships
There's clearly something wrong if you failed to consider him a top 4 guy before the world championships. We're talking about a guy that plays really tough minutes, extremely tough zone starts yet was still able to be the best relative to team shot suppressing dman in the league, by a good margin. He probably even had a better year in 2014/2015 too. i simply can't fathom how someone could not consider him a top 4 dman.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Jeff Carter until a few years ago. I was against him being on the Canadian olympics team. He was amazing in the tourney and dominant in the 2nd cup run. Every time I watch him, I'm thinking of how wrong I was. He is one of my favorite players now.

I totally agree with this one.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Even though he's had a monster playoffs, he didn't exactly light the world on fire in the regular season.

Would you rather him put 90 points reg season and flake out in the playoffs?
at the end of the day hes delivering when it MATTERS. Give him time he will probably be back to 70+ points next year.

ROR for me

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
ryan o'reilly

Him for sure, from an offensive standpoint. Figured he was a good possession player who would end up putting up moderate scoring numbers (slightly better than Backlund, for example), and he just blew the doors off. During his first contract dispute I thought "nah, he's overvaluing himself at 5 million a year", then when he signed his second contract I thought "nah, his contract is going to look a pretty bloated when all is said and done."

And his contract is still not a discount by any means, but he looks like he's providing fair value on the dollar for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad