Players you thought were overrated. But aren't

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
I thought Gaudreau had too much hype, seems he didn't have enough

in 2012 I didn't think Crawford could be a good starting goalie.... and then he won 2 cups

Did not think Ekblad would live up to his expectations and seems like he stepped in and immediately did

I was wary about Gaudreau. I thought he'd be very good but he's been better than I expected. Same for Crawford and especially Price. Ekholm and Ellis are two Nashville d-men I hadn't paid much attention to until the Preds-Sharks series but they were both excellent.

I've always liked Tanev, probably bc he reminds me of Vlasic and Braun. I've like Kessel for a while too, but moreso after the 2014 Olympics. I've really liked Karlsson for quite a while too. It's probably easy for me to say for both of them bc I watch more of the Pacific Div teams than EC teams so I'm neutral about most of those teams. Liked the Sharks players mentioned but I'm a sharks' fan so I'd be one of the ppl possibly overrating players like Pavelski, Vlasic, and Couture.

I didn't like Couture that much at first, though, bc the Sharks' org was really trying to push him as the new face of the Sharks for a few years and that got old. I knew it wasn't his fault but it made me not like him as much. Kind of like how the NHL pushed Crosby for a long time then ppl pushed McDavid and IMO it backfires after a while. (The Couture hype was on a lower level than Crosby or McDavid but it's the same effect.)

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Interesting thread, a tougher question would be: Players you thought were underrated. But aren't.

Good luck with that! (you might want to cut your finger nails before you start scratching your heads...)

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
I'd pick ROR too but the money thing makes me hate him lol. He is the Revis of hockey with his contract disputes.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
I thought Tyler Johnson would come back down to earth but as I watched him in the playoffs again this year, he really looked like the heart and soul of that Tampa team. Dude is a fierce competitor, insanely skilled, and absolutely clutch.

I just wonder how his smaller frame is gonna handle the beating that he gets in the playoffs though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad