Players you love on teams you hate?!

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Hey everyone

Just wondering if you had a favorite player on a team that you absolutely despised?

Sorry Flames fans. Although I do not have any problems with your franchise and fanbase anymore since we've swept players a lot lately lol. When there used to be rivalries, I couldn't stand the Flames but I absolutely loved Jarome Iginla. I would watch the Flames elimate the Canucks with a lot of hate, but always rooted for them because of their Captain. Also rooted for them in the finals against Tampa Bay just because of Jerome.

Never liked Colorado either because they used to wipe the floor with us a lot in the 90's/00's, but Burnaby Joe was an absolute beauty.

Still can't stand the Bruins, I have a well respected hate against them, but Patrice Bergeron was one Bruin that I was very happy to see win the Stanley Cup, even if it was at the cost of my hometown favorite team.

Do you fans have any players you love but are on a team you despise?

Love to hear your thoughts...

Reactions: TheDawnOfANewTage

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Wayne Simmonds was briefly a Devil. That's about it.

I did have tremendous respect for Lemieux and Brian Leetch, but that's a different category than a favorite player.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Don't really hate teams. I used to, but at some point decided that I didn't really care. I'm a devils fan and if the rangers win it, so be it. I'm sure there are rangers fans out there that I like and I'd be happy for them.

If I hated a team, it's probably because I hate the players

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
As a Sens fan - CuJo was my favorite goalie growing up.

The mask probably helped.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Blachawks-Red Wings rivalry essentially died when Detroit moved to the eastern conference but they had a ton of players I liked over the years - Howe, Sawchuk, Yzerman, Fedorov, Datsyuk, Konstantinov to name a few.

Really liked Henrik Sedin and Luongo during the quasi-rivalry with the Canucks.

Shawn Heins 44

Sep 22, 2012
Zurich
Don't really hate teams. I used to, but at some point decided that I didn't really care. I'm a devils fan and if the rangers win it, so be it. I'm sure there are rangers fans out there that I like and I'd be happy for them.

If I hated a team, it's probably because I hate the players
This is a phantastic view and we should all try to see it that way. Really, the older i get, the less I hate on others and can appreciate for example Sid and Ovie at the same time. Used to be differnt when I was younger.

That being said I hate the Flyers, but I loved Mark Streit.

Reactions: Forge

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Now that I'm older, I can definitely appreciate players more on other teams. From the Flyers I always liked Simon Gagne and Claude Giroux among others. From the Rangers, I never had anything against Mike Richter, Henrik Lundqvist, or Igor Shesterkin. Heck, I'm still a bit bummed that Dan Blackburn had a career altering injury early on.

As much I disliked Eric Lindros in the moment, I find myself giving him the benefit of the doubt nowadays on threads on the History of Hockey discussions.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Always loved Sundin. Wish he could have been a wing.

Mark Recchi was someone I had a hard time cheering against when I was growing up.

WreckedUm

Damn near killed ‘em
Nov 25, 2018
Simmonds is the only flyer I've liked, the rest are Bums

Tyler Bertuzzi is fun to watch, I look forward to his return to Boston next season.

Leksand

Oct 30, 2013
Northern VA
Dunno why you posted that but maybe you should try counting to 24. 'Cuz you know...
You caught me, I just picked a ballpark number from what I remember from that avatar with the counting, which captures the essence of why I posted that.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad