Players you have changed opinions on now that they have retired/moved to a new team

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
I was watching some old games for the Sabres and have noticed how mediocre Drew Stafford was in every game I watched. I was a huge fan of his during his tenure with the Sabres but looking back he just seemed to be there. A very average player. Also, looking at his stats he seemed very pedestrian as well. My opinion of him has drastically changed over the last few months now that I had a chance to look at him without the rose colored glasses.

Curious to see if anyone else's opinions of players have changed since the player retired/moved to a new team. Subban? A young prospect that was grown in your org that maybe wasnt as good as you thought they were? Just trying to get the discussion started...

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Anthony DeAngelo comes to mind, I was high on him and thought he just needed a chance, 2 chances later I'm still waiting for him to become a top 4 guy lol.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I used to detest Neal when he was on Pittsburgh, thought he was cheap shotting garbage trash. Was so mad when he came to Nashville. and they plopped the A on him. That said, he changed his game significantly when he got here, dived a whole lot less, barely did any questionable hits, and took a big leadership role on the team and in the community. By the end of his tenure, I was genuinely sad to see him go and got emotional when he returned as a Knight.

Reactions: Fixxer

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
I absolutely hated when PK was on Montreal. He would always torch the Leafs, well, because what star didn't torch the leafs before last year. I always thought he was over rated and to much of a showboat. Now that hes on Nashville, i realized this guy is actually pretty good and its nice to have some personality in the league rather than all those people who are stale (Tavares).

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Thought Phaneuf was a good player getting a raw deal but that he was a pissy bitch with a bad attitude...turns out he's a good player who was getting a raw deal but who has a fantastic, stay-positive attitude that's rubbing off on everyone enough for it to be noted.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Rangers fans seem to really have a thing for JT Miller right now.

Yeah.. I don't get it. Seems like AV won out on that one which makes me mind numbingly pissed off that he has any sort of say on future roster decisions.

I'd say overall the entire hockey world has done a massive 180 on the opinion of Kessel. He was the butt end of every joke during his time in Toronto.. but now he's one of the most beloved players in the league.

I would have loved to see OV pull that cell phone picture nonsense with Kessel sitting there by himself as the last pick of the ASG draft this time around.;)

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Hendricks. He looked like he was spent last year by playoff time. He has been great this year and has gotten a few points on the Oilers for good measure.. great locker room guy I assume

Thought Phaneuf was a good player getting a raw deal but that he was a pissy ***** with a bad attitude...turns out he's a good player who was getting a raw deal but who has a fantastic, stay-positive attitude that's rubbing off on everyone enough for it to be noted.
Don’t judge a book by its disgusting and asshole looking cover!

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I'm also going to bang my head against the wall when Nash becomes the go to answer to this question in the futute after he goes full Kessel for Boston this postseason and is a PPG+ monster with multiple game changing/winning goals that he never scored for us.

nashnaidoo

Sponsor
Dec 15, 2004
I'm a big fan of Radulov and there have been a lot of people who disagree with his actions over the years. Has his time in Montreal and Dallas changed anyone's mind?

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Matt Cullen - Before watching him much in the West I always thought that Matt Cullen was a bit of a plug, typical 4th line type of player. When he came to Pittsburgh I really got to see his versatility. That guy can seemingly play on any line, Center or either wing, powerplay, penalty kill, 4 on 4... Decent shot, good playmaking ability. Just a very all-around solid player who is a great locker room presence.

Patric Hornqvist - Once again, a guy that I didn't think much of. Somewhat of a power forward who had a little scoring touch, but that's about as much as I thought about him. He's quite the pulse of the team. He really energizes the team. I always thought that was over-played by certain fans, but after seeing Horny do it, I was convinced.

Matt Niskanen - Maybe I had blinders on, maybe he changed his play-type a bit, but after watching some match-ups against Washington I realized that he's a bit of a dirtbag... Makes a lot of cheeky plays, and ive seen a few slew-foots from him as well.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Matt Niskanen - Maybe I had blinders on, maybe he changed his play-type a bit, but after watching some match-ups against Washington I realized that he's a bit of a dirtbag... Makes a lot of cheeky plays, and ive seen a few slew-foots from him as well.

He's probably the single best defenseman in the league at running "legal" interference. It wouldn't surprise me if he knows exactly where to toe the line for dirty play as well.

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
I absolutely hated with a passion Raffi Torres until he joined the Canucks. Dude is a warrior. Ive never disliked a player in my life as much as Torres when he was an Oiler. Was surprised he was able to change my mind to be honest.

Slap

Sep 28, 2017
I was watching some old games for the Sabres and have noticed how mediocre Drew Stafford was in every game I watched. I was a huge fan of his during his tenure with the Sabres but looking back he just seemed to be there. A very average player. Also, looking at his stats he seemed very pedestrian as well. My opinion of him has drastically changed over the last few months now that I had a chance to look at him without the rose colored glasses.

Curious to see if anyone else's opinions of players have changed since the player retired/moved to a new team. Subban? A young prospect that was grown in your org that maybe wasnt as good as you thought they were? Just trying to get the discussion started...
You were a huge fan but never noticed the guy was a bum?
[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Thought Phaneuf was a good player getting a raw deal but that he was a pissy ***** with a bad attitude...turns out he's a good player who was getting a raw deal but who has a fantastic, stay-positive attitude that's rubbing off on everyone enough for it to be noted.

I'm sure it's a lot easier to have a fantastic positive attitude when you don't have to hear "When are we moving to LA." everyday from your wife. :snide:

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
He's probably the single best defenseman in the league at running "legal" interference. It wouldn't surprise me if he knows exactly where to toe the line for dirty play as well.
I thought I was the only person who noticed that... Niskanen is constantly interfering, but rarely gets called for it... It's cheeky, but I can't blame him for wanting to get a competetive edge.

I absolutely hated with a passion Raffi Torres until he joined the Canucks. Dude is a warrior. Ive never disliked a player in my life as much as Torres when he was an Oiler. Was surprised he was able to change my mind to be honest.
I have to say, that is textbook homerism there. Torres is, without a doubt, one of the dirtiest players in the past decade, but you happened to love him when he went to your team. lol.

You were a huge fan but never noticed the guy was a bum?
[mod]
Come on, now... We're all blinded by a bit of bias from time to time.

Last edited by a moderator:

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
I always thought a team with Taylor Hall as their best player would never do anything when he was on the oilers

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
When I first became a fan, all I would do is look on the back of hockey cards for offensive stats to evaluate players. Now that the Kings have won the Stanley Cup twice being lead by veterans and core players that are almost all defensive or two-way players, I have a completely different opinion on what kind of players are "the best."

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I'm a big fan of Radulov and there have been a lot of people who disagree with his actions over the years. Has his time in Montreal and Dallas changed anyone's mind?
Yeah, but he’s matured a lot. A lot of the flak her got earlier was well deserved.

Jagr is similar, in a way; superstar talent but a complete dick as a young player... and to his credit, grew into a better teammate and better leader as he matured.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Thought the Leafs made out like bandits with Phaneuf. Turns out they lost the trade just as much as we did

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad