Players with unsustainable shooting %

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
We know there are likely things a player can do to maintain a high shooting percentage and make it a repeatable skill, such as taking more shots from dangerous scoring areas.

But what players from last season do you see a reduction in production for because they were running an abnormally-high shooting percentage? Or conversely, who had some bad luck and do you see as likely to have an increase in goal-scoring?

Pukboy5kroner

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
I'd expect a slight drop from Jagr and, most likely, Duclair (although he doesn't have much of a sample size). There's also anomalies like Zack Smith's year that won't be repeated.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Zack Smith for sure. Cracked 25 goals for the first time all the way back to his minor and major midget days.

He is due for a huge drop back to the mean. If he gets 15 goals I'd be surprised.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Gaudreau home shooting %: 20.4%

unsustainably high

Gaudreau road shooting %: 6.7%

unsustainably low

expect both of those to normalize around 13.5%

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Gaudreau home shooting %: 20.4%

unsustainably high

Gaudreau road shooting %: 6.7%

unsustainably low

expect both of those to normalize around 13.5%

That's probably more a function of a small sample size. Although it is an interesting question of how long a player can carry an unsustainable shooting percentage that is merely a function of luck, and how long it can take to normalize (e.g., a full season, 100 games, etc.)

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Henrique: 20.1 shooting %, 103.4 PDO.

Adam will definitely not sustain a 20 percent shooting percentage but he was over 18 percent two years ago. His career shooting percentage is near 16 percent in 5 seasons. Like I said hell never sustain 20 percent but he'll always have a high percentage it's just the the of player he is. Has great decision making on when to shoot and when not too. He's going to play with Hall this year most likely so I expect his assist total to rise and goals to fall slightly, but I still expect him shooting at around a 15 percent rate:

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Voracek can't possibly continue to have as much bad luck as last season.

Was he not injured for much of last year? Perhaps that affected his shot accuracy/power or the choice of shots/shooting areas he went to.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
We know there are likely things a player can do to maintain a high shooting percentage and make it a repeatable skill, such as taking more shots from dangerous scoring areas.

But what players from last season do you see a reduction in production for because they were running an abnormally-high shooting percentage? Or conversely, who had some bad luck and do you see as likely to have an increase in goal-scoring?

Joe Colborne (Too High)
Micheal Ferland (Got Robbed Too Often)
Dennis Wideman (Wasn't his ywar)
Johnny Gaudreau on the road (Way too low)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad