Players with the same name playing together

Scott1980

Apr 27, 2010
Toronto
How often have two players with the same full name (different person) played together?

The reason I ask this is, a few nights ago, I was watching game 7 of the 1989 Smyth Semi-Finals, Calgary and Vancouver. I only got to watch a few minutes and then it occured to me that this was the 'nucks team that had the two Greg Adams!

Any other times this has happened? Names? I know in baseball, the '62 Mets (shudder) had two pitchers named Bob Miller and they were both pitchers, 6'1 and roomed together on the road. Thankfully, one threw left handed and the other right handed!

What was Greg C Adams number in Vancouver, BTW?

Last edited:
Reactions: adsfan

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Yes Greg Adams was the player(s) that came to mind when first reading this thread before I got to their names. both were pretty decent players with their respective skill sets.

Reactions: adsfan

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Maybe Stephane Richer and Stephane Richer, but Stephane Richer didn't play many games...

Stephane J.G. Richer was in the Montreal system from 1986-1989 playing for the Fredericton Canadiens but never saw an NHL game with the Habs. However, the two Richers almost certainly would have played a preseason game or two together.

This is probably the closest example there is aside from the Greg Adamses.

________

On the same name ledger, there were also 2 Bob Murrays active in the NHL for a time in the mid-1970s.

Two Mike Browns played for the Canucks about 6 or 7 years apart, and a few other Mike Browns have also played hockey at quite a high level in the same period without reaching the NHL.

One of the weirdest/more confusing things I've ever seen was when Devan Dubnyk and Deven Dubyk both played goal in the WHL only a year apart from each other.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
There were two players named Tom Williams in the 70s, and two Ron Wilson's in the 80s, though none of them were teammates.

Reactions: SealsFan

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Nicklas Backstrom and Niklas Backstrom in today's NHL.
Jim Watson and Jimmy Watson in the seventies.
Harry Watson is in the HHOF. And another later generation Harry Watson is in the HHOF too.

Mark753

Jun 15, 2009
There's two players named Juraj Mikus, but neither have played in the NHL.

matnor

Oct 3, 2009
Boston
Here are some players with the same name that has played in the NHL at the same time:

Greg Adams
Mike Boland
Alain Cote
David Jensen
Bob Kelly
Bob Murdoch
Bob Murray
Alexandre Picard
Stephane Richer
Steve Smith
Petr Svoboda
Petr Sykora
Ron Wilson

I think Greg Adams is the only name that has been used within a team at the same time.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Nicklas Backstrom and Niklas Backstrom in today's NHL.
Jim Watson and Jimmy Watson in the seventies.
Harry Watson is in the HHOF. And another later generation Harry Watson is in the HHOF too.

Funny, for years I thought that Jimmy Watson from the Flyers started his career with Buffalo. Only recently found that was the other Jim Watson.

DJ Man

Mar 23, 2009
Central Florida
I recall that the Total Hockey encyclopedia attached Johnny Bower's statistics to his grandson and had to retract the error. I don't suppose that the namesake made it to the big time.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
I worked at a restaurant that is owned in part by the "other" Greg Adams. He also owns all the Tim Hortons in the region, something like 5 of them. As well as a couple other businesses, including a hockey supply store co-owned with Doug Bodger (or it was last I checked) and a massive house on a newly built vineyard. Saw him a couple times; he's still a huge guy even though he's been out of hockey for close to 20 years.

DeathOfAHockeyTown

Oct 23, 2017
Two Mike Browns played for the Canucks about 6 or 7 years apart, and a few other Mike Browns have also played hockey at quite a high level in the same period without reaching the NHL.

The two Mike Browns were wingers and there was also a Mike Brown who played backup for Boston, making it like 2,5 Mike Browns in the NHL. With Mikko Lehtonen making his debut with the Maple Leafs last night, it looks like we have a new leader? There has now been 3 different Mikko Lehtonens in the NHL

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Hearing Joe Sacco's name always made me chuckle. Then the Avs made him their coach. While Joe Sakic was the GM. :)

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Hearing Joe Sacco's name always made me chuckle. Then the Avs made him their coach. While Joe Sakic was the GM. :)

speaking of which, avs coach jared bednar, when he was first hired i thought he was former czech defenceman jaroslav bednář, who had cups of coffee with LA and florida. i assumed he stuck around north america working his way up the coaching ranks after washing out and somewhere along the line anglicized his name because america.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
How often have two players with the same full name (different person) played together?

The reason I ask this is, a few nights ago, I was watching game 7 of the 1989 Smyth Semi-Finals, Calgary and Vancouver. I only got to watch a few minutes and then it occured to me that this was the 'nucks team that had the two Greg Adams!

Any other times this has happened? Names? I know in baseball, the '62 Mets (shudder) had two pitchers named Bob Miller and they were both pitchers, 6'1 and roomed together on the road. Thankfully, one threw left handed and the other right handed!

What was Greg C Adams number in Vancouver, BTW?

Greg C was of Victoria, BC; #22 on NHL.com and was 6'4" and 196 pounds and 7.5 seasons.

I think Hockeydb has it wrong! They show Greg Adams of Nelson, BC with #22 and #8.
I am fairly sure that he wore #17. He only played 19 games for the Canucks, so why would he have two different numbers? He was also 6'0" or 6'1" and 190 pounds.

Jose Charbonneau also wore #17 for the Canucks in the 1988-89 season. He was 6'0" and 195.

I probably watched a game or two because Milwaukee was an affiliate of Vancouver at the time.

Will the Real Greg Adams Please Stand Up?

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Here's a list I compiled during the coronavirus break. So those making debuts this season (which include also third player called Mikko Lehtonen) are not included.

Names on yellow background are father and son.
EXMc7xdXsAEj0er

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad