Players with massive outlier seasons in their careers

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Fedorov.

Sergei had never scored 40 goals or had any kind of 1st/2nd all star season, or Hart finalist recognition...except the one in which he scored 56 goals, was a 1st team all star and won the Hart.

Take that outlier out, and his career barely is HHOF worthy.

Did you ever notice, by looking at his stats, Sergei Fedorov scored at a higher point per game clip in the playoffs than he did in the regular season, over his whole career? 0.94 PPG (1179 points in 1248 games) in the regular season and 0.96 PPG (176 points in 183 games) in the playoffs. 176 points in 183 playoff games from a player with an elite upper echelon defensive game? With 3 Cups? But that player is barely HHOF worthy without his outlier season?

Fedorov's 94–95 and 95–96 were excellent seasons, by the way, earning him another Selke and chasing away Patrick Roy from Montreal in a memorable game during a regular season where Fedorov's unit (The Russian Five) just slashed the league to pieces.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you really high on players like Patrick Marleau and Phil Housley?

Fancy regular season numbers are nice to look at (Marleau hardly has fancy regular season stats on a season-to-season basis though), but it's easy as a plain day to see the context why Fedorov took the foot off the regular season gas pedal, between 1997–2002. It's probably spelt Scotty Bowman, or saving your best fireworks for when they actually matter, or something crazy like that.

Fedorov past age 30 had four (4) 30+ goals season in the NHL (and paced for a 5th one, with 27 goals in 68 games in 99–00). That's exactly one less than king of consistency aged like a fine ass wine Mats Sundin.

I'm sorry, but if Fedorov's "barely HHOF worthy" without 1993–94 then I guess we'll have to take out Mats Sundin too. And Mike Modano while we're at it. But Housley and Andreychuk can stay. And Ciccarelli too. And then we'll put in Patrick Marleau.

Just makes all the sense in the world.

giphy.gif

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Any players with abnormally high penalty minutes in a season?

Paul Coffey in one of his best seasons had 195 PIM in 1989. Next best 130. It isn't as if Coffey got any Byng votes in his career, he would still have penalty minutes, but this one explodes on the screen. In researching, Coffey had 75 fights in his NHL career and 9 that season in 1989. That was his highest, but he had another couple years of 9 and 8 in one season too, so I don't know why 1989 had so many penalty minutes. I am just guessing maybe he got a bit more ice time on the Penguins than the Oilers since he would have been counted on even more on that 1989 team?

Not that Coffey was a heavyweight, but even I am a little surprised at who he fought. Heck, I just don't remember Coffey fighting a lot. He fought Basil McRae, Cam Neely, Shane Churla, Craig Berube a couple of times, Dave Manson, etc.

Reactions: brachyrynchos

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
I remember Rod Niedermayer as mild mannered as a Panther, never getting more than 54 PIMs in his first 12 NHL seasons except for 1996 when as a 21 year old he had 107 PIMs. That I used to think of as an outlier. But then after the lockout in 2006 he as a Duck was scrappy and the next year led the playoffs in penalties as Anaheim won the cup.
Thanks!
I started looking a little, and '93-94 Alexei Kovalev stands out a bit, 154 penalty minutes in 76 games (23-33-56). If I recall, most of those were lazy stick penalties like hooking and tripping (could be wrong), He never broke 100, but came close a few times with 98 ('95-96), 96 ('00-01) and 94 penalty minutes in the '99-00 season.
Niedermayer's a good one, something must've gotten into that '95-96 season, highest penalty minutes andgoals (26), assists (35) and points (61) as well.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Did you ever notice, by looking at his stats, Sergei Fedorov scored at a higher point per game clip in the playoffs than he did in the regular season, over his whole career? 0.94 PPG (1179 points in 1248 games) in the regular season and 0.96 PPG (176 points in 183 games) in the playoffs. 176 points in 183 playoff games from a player with an elite upper echelon defensive game? With 3 Cups? But that player is barely HHOF worthy without his outlier season?

Ironically, so did Gilbert Perreault (1.14 PPG in the playoffs, vs. 1.11) although not as many good playoff years.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Nothing against Olaf Kolzig's career, but his 2000 year stands out. He wins the Vezina, only has a 5th and 10th place finish outside of that. Overall he is a .500 goalie in his career but with a strong season in 2000.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Paul Coffey in one of his best seasons had 195 PIM in 1989. Next best 130. It isn't as if Coffey got any Byng votes in his career, he would still have penalty minutes, but this one explodes on the screen. In researching, Coffey had 75 fights in his NHL career and 9 that season in 1989. That was his highest, but he had another couple years of 9 and 8 in one season too, so I don't know why 1989 had so many penalty minutes. I am just guessing maybe he got a bit more ice time on the Penguins than the Oilers since he would have been counted on even more on that 1989 team?

Not that Coffey was a heavyweight, but even I am a little surprised at who he fought. Heck, I just don't remember Coffey fighting a lot. He fought Basil McRae, Cam Neely, Shane Churla, Craig Berube a couple of times, Dave Manson, etc.
Wow, never thought Coffey was ever that close to 200 in a season, even the 130 is a bit surprising. Thanks!

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Glen Murray exploded with 92 in 2003 and the year before 71 in 2002. I know Joe Thornton was the reason behind it as his center but I just remember how well those two complemented each other. Murray legitimately looked like a bona fide sniper those years, not just a guy Thornton was feeding pucks to. They worked together well.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Fedorov.

Sergei had never scored 40 goals or had any kind of 1st/2nd all star season, or Hart finalist recognition...except the one in which he scored 56 goals, was a 1st team all star and won the Hart.

Take that outlier out, and his career barely is HHOF worthy.

Without his 1994 season, Fedorov's career is still at least as good as Gilmour's without his 1993 season, no?

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Without his 1994 season, Fedorov's career is still at least as good as Gilmour's without his 1993 season, no?
Why are you taking that year from Gilmour?

My point was about Fedorov having an outlier year: his only all star season, only 50 goal season, only serious Hart contention. Take that away and he is not clearly equal to Gilmour or several other non-1st-ballot HHOFers.

I am not saying Fedorov doesn't deserve to be in the Hall, just that his accomplishments that ONE season was crucial to taking away any doubt, that without it his induction might be criticized like several others have been (Dino, Nieuwy, Federko, etc).

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
2014-15 Andrew Hammond was pretty crazy, 20-1-2, 1.79 GAA, .941 sv%, and his 3 shutouts were all career highs he didn't come close to again. Earlier in the season he had been assigned to the Senators AHL affiliate in Binghamton and got called up when Craig Anderson tended to personal issues, and took the starter job when Robin Lehner was injured.

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007
Nothing against Olaf Kolzig's career, but his 2000 year stands out. He wins the Vezina, only has a 5th and 10th place finish outside of that. Overall he is a .500 goalie in his career but with a strong season in 2000.
I think that was more about how goaltending was perceived that year. Hasek got hurt, Brodeur and Roy didn't have great seasons, I forget why Belfour was kind of shunned in the voting... I'm not sure how much better Kolzig's 2000 is than his 98 or 2003.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Two guys I think of from 92-93:

Bob Kudelski, 40+30=70 in 86 games with two teams. Had a few other seasons in the low 40's for point totals with 26 goals as a high.

Kevin Hatcher, 34 goals. While he always scored goals in double figures, he only topped 20 one other time with 26.

I'm not sure Hatcher belongs in this thread

Just 2 years before he posted 34 goals and 79 points in 83 games, he tallied 24 goals and 74 points in 79 games

Reactions: billybudd

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Why are you taking that year from Gilmour?

My point was about Fedorov having an outlier year: his only all star season, only 50 goal season, only serious Hart contention. Take that away and he is not clearly equal to Gilmour or several other non-1st-ballot HHOFers.

I am not saying Fedorov doesn't deserve to be in the Hall, just that his accomplishments that ONE season was crucial to taking away any doubt, that without it his induction might be criticized like several others have been (Dino, Nieuwy, Federko, etc).

If you take away each player's best season (you can't just do that for one and not the other), they're quite comparable and if you compare their careers as they are, they are still quite comparable.

Sure, you can bring up Gilmour's '87 and '94 seasons, but Feds has his '95 and '96 seasons as well.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Chris Clarke and Warren Young were two guys who rose from obscurity to have big seasons playing on a line with a future Hall of Fame rookie (or second year player) and quickly fizzled to single digit goal territory.

I'm not crazy about Cheechoo always being mentioned in these types of discussions. He seemed like a genuinely emerging scorer, then suffered chronic physical problems.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I think that was more about how goaltending was perceived that year. Hasek got hurt, Brodeur and Roy didn't have great seasons, I forget why Belfour was kind of shunned in the voting... I'm not sure how much better Kolzig's 2000 is than his 98 or 2003.

Fair enough. That was a weird year. Brodeur at that time had the reputation of being a good goalie on a great defensive team so I think he wasn't getting the respect he should have, hence why he wasn't even the original starter for Canada's team in 2002 at the Olympics. Brodeur was doing the usual thing he was doing around the time, winning 40+ games, having a low GAA, etc. Maybe Kolzig looked a little more unique.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Val Bure had 75 points in 99–00, 22 more than the next best season. That's also the season he mentored Jarome Iginla, Marc Savard, Martin St. Louis and Cory Stillman into respectable NHL players.

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008

That's a pretty comparison in my opinion. Fedorov was my favourite player so I'm certainly biased, but even if his offensive numbers were disappointing for his abilities he sure could help tilt the ice in his teams favour. He had to share ice-time on a deep team during his prime, which also hurt his numbers. The same can be said about Gilmour because when he was "the man" in Toronto his game and numbers thrived.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004

He did fairly well in the 1998 playoffs, didn't he?

Reactions: Big Phil

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3