Players with great quickness who lacks great top speed (and vice versa)

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
What are some players that have outstanding quickness, but who doesn't have outstanding top end speed to match?

Mathieau Perreault and Jordan Eberle comes to mind. I mean they have pretty good speed overall but it's not 'outstanding', so it doesn't match their quickness level.

And also, what are some players who fit the opposite criteria? (Meaning having a great level of top speed which far exceeds their quickness level).

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
Laine is a prime exsample of the opposite.. Great top speed, but very slow starter.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
I think Johnny Gaudreau would be the poster boy for this thread. There’s no one more agile than him in the league right now, but he doesn’t have that top end speed to just burn by guys, so he uses his hands instead.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Gaudreau comes to mind.

Opposite: Gudbranson, Pedan, Draisailt.

Pedan won the Canuck faster skater one yr.. but you never would have guessed it if you watch him in the 'half court'.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Kadri on the Leafs, he's very good at quickly sprinting to the puck and is able to really great shifty stuff due to his skill/skating, but is overall speed isn't elite.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Gaudreau is fairly fast now though, but yeah his agility and acceleration standout a lot more. Giroux is another one. Gretzky in his early days was a great example of this.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Johnny Gaudreau. Super shifty, amazing acceleration and lateral movement but he’s rarely going to flat out beat anyone with speed. Just a joy to watch.

This is who immediately came to mind. Not the fastest for top end speed, but seems to be incredibly shifty and quick in small spaces.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Johnny Gaudreau. Super shifty, amazing acceleration and lateral movement but he’s rarely going to flat out beat anyone with speed. Just a joy to watch.
I was gonna mention Gaudreau but you beat everyone to it.

By example the other night it was a joy to see him and Mariner play against each other in OT, he out-shifted Marner all over the place with his skating but Marner was faster.

Reactions: Calgareee

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
The latter is Chris Kreider to a T

He has no change of pace or change of direction to his game. Straight line speed might be top 5 in league though.

Gaudreau is probably the most shiftiest player in the game in terms of changing speed and direction on his edges without necessarily blowing right by you.

McDavid is the best of both worlds

Jason Chimera is another guy with crazy top end speed but 0 change of pace or direction, a poor mans Kreider.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fixxer

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I always thought Yakupov looked really quick but not that fast.

Reactions: Fixxer

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Matt Duchene is incredibly quick. His high end speed isn't very impressive though. Over the last couple of years at least.

Nikita Zadorov isn't very quick, but he flies once he starts moving. Those long strides up the ice are crazy deceiving.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad