News Article: Players will might be on the move this year

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Most of these make sense but I disagree with the Boucher analysis.

He won’t cost much for several years and fits the identity they are trying to build to a tee. They’ve also put their necks on the chopping block to draft him.

I don’t see him getting moved unless he’s a key part in a trade which allows them to keep a Greig or Pinto (which itself is unlikely since they’re not the same tier of prospects). Unless he has a significant bounce back season I don’t see other teams shoving to the front of the line to acquire him either.

The team is also incredibly thin in RW prospects, moving on from him now just doesn’t make a ton of sense from an asset management POV.

I also don’t see the Sens trading Watson. I doubt they can get more than a 3rd for him and at that price they’ll probably prefer to keep him around the room. Hagel, Goodrow, and Coleman were all far better players than him when traded, and were all younger when traded, there isn’t much comparison there.

Last edited:

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
A lot of obvious stuff but not sure about Zub being on the list. Good RDs aren't in abundant supply or are easy to get. Maybe other candidates should have been on this list.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
A lot of obvious stuff but not sure about Zub being on the list. Good RDs aren't in abundant supply or are easy to get. Maybe other candidates should have been on this list.
Once you eliminate the players who definitely won’t be moved salary gets tight and if the Sens go outside the org to add a top 4 D, Zub looks like a possibility to be gone. I personally would have preferred to add a D with a package around our 7OA, re-signed Zub, signed Giroux and not acquired Debrincat but they wanted to build a high end top 6.

Reactions: aragorn

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Exactly
Lets say Zub gets moved and JBD or Thomson gets hurt for 20 games like Chabot last season...
I know its fun and all to play the LD on the right side but come on...
Imo Zub is more important then Boucher, Formenton Barnstorm or Joseph

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Guys I think are on the move before the end of the season:

Formenton
Zaitsev
Sokolov
Brannstrom
Watson

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Potential Players to be moved BEFORE the end of the season and IF the Senators are out of the playoffs:
Holden
Hamonic
Zaitsev
Watson
Brannstrom
Debrincat (if he will not sign a new long term contract for $8M AAV)

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Potential Players to be moved BEFORE the end of the season and IF the Senators are out of the playoffs:
Holden
Hamonic
Zaitsev
Watson
Brannstrom
Debrincat (if he will not sign a new long term contract for $8M AAV)
I think Debrincat would be in the off season.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Guys who could be moved this yr:
1. Holden UFA - should be replaced by Kleven by yr's end
2. Watson UFA - could be replaced by Sokolov or re-signed
3. Hamonic UFA - could be replaced by JBD or Thomson
4. Hawryluk UFA - don't need him
5. Talbot UFA - could be re-signed, depends how he & Forsberg play
6. Zaitsev - probably gets moved next season when he is a UFA
7. Gambrell - should be replaced by Kastelic
8. Brannstrom - I expect he should be part of any trade package
9. Sabourin - could move up if Watson is traded or traded himself
10. DeBrincat - only traded if his re-signing price is more than they can afford
11. Zub - I expect he will be re-signed if it's an affordabe price for the team
12. Formenton - could depend on investigation & if it reflects on team

Guys who could make the team:
1. Pinto - IMO he would already be on the team, if he wasn't injured
2. Sanderson - it's inevidable, he's just too good.
3. JBD - if Hamonic & potentially Zub or Zaitsev traded JBD should be the replacement.
4. Thomson - same as JBD
5. Greig - only makes it if there are injuries
6. Kleven - should join the team at the end of his UND season
7. Kastelic - should be the 4th line C & Watson role replacement
8. Sokolov - should get promoted if Watson & Gambrell are moved out
9. Jarventie - could get promoted if a LW is injured or traded.
10. Lodin - injury callup or cup of coffee

Reactions: bicboi64 and Yak

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I wouldn't be surprised if the team kept Debrincat past this season even if he doesn't sign a long term deal in the offseason.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I wouldn't be surprised if the team kept Debrincat past this season even if he doesn't sign a long term deal in the offseason.
No chance of that.

We learned that lesson the hard way, though Tavares/Gaudreau hard.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
new there was gonna be a player in the list that would instantly make me regret reading it...

Trade away Zub and we take two steps back.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

Exactly
Lets say Zub gets moved and JBD or Thomson gets hurt for 20 games like Chabot last season...
I know its fun and all to play the LD on the right side but come on...
Imo Zub is more important then Boucher, Formenton Barnstorm or Joseph
If you are looking at risk versus reward, moving Zub carries a lot of risk imho.

Given that Formenton has not been signed, it seems a little odd to not have him on the list (mentioned in the article).

Revisiting the Chychrun non-trade, I don't think players like Zaitsev, Brannstrom, Watson or even Sokolov are big enticements for our potential trading partner. You'd think most teams have that kind of player in their system.

Reactions: Alex1234

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad