Players who would benefit playing in the AHL

Mathradio

Drive for 25
Oct 11, 2010
consanguinephysics.wordpress.com
There are those North American major junior players (i.e. CHL constituent leagues) who would be better off playing in the AHL than staying in juniors but are forced to play in juniors because the AHL wouldn't allow them to play, unlike European major junior players, who are admitted to play in the AHL no matter their age just like any other European player.

Any examples of players whose development would benefit if they were allowed to play in the AHL before they hit 20?

I have one or two: Nathan Beaulieu and Jonathan Huberdeau. Maybe Gallagher but I'm not sure.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Tomas Vincour. Thank god he got sent down there.

NVM - not a junior player.

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
By limiting the places a player can play, the NHL is shooting themselves in the foot. They want good players but will not allow junior players to play in the AHL. The league should allow a max number of "underage" players to play on each AHL teams, say 2. And that's my solution.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I definitely think Niederreiter is the perfect example of a guy who could use at least 25-30 games if not a full season in the AHL. There is probably a few other guys from that 2010 draft that would benefit from time in the AHL this year instead of being sent back down or playing in the NHL.

From this year's draft I think Couturier is the perfect example of a guy who has done as much as he could in junior and would probably benefit the most from playing in the AHL.

In terms of recent history(ie last year) I think Seguin might have benefited more last season playing in the AHL and Ryan Ellis should have played in the AHL last year as well

hyster110

Mar 21, 2011
There are those North American major junior players (i.e. CHL constituent leagues) who would be better off playing in the AHL than staying in juniors but are forced to play in juniors because the AHL wouldn't allow them to play, unlike European major junior players, who are admitted to play in the AHL no matter their age just like any other European player.

Any examples of players whose development would benefit if they were allowed to play in the AHL before they hit 20?

I have one or two: Nathan Beaulieu and Jonathan Huberdeau. Maybe Gallagher but I'm not sure.

its not the Ahls rule, its an agreement that the nhl and the CHL signed so that their best players are not all taken away. the basics of the rule is that if you came up playing CHL you have to go back if you don't make your nhl club. if you come from another source, say europe or the US college system your nhl teams has the option of where to send you be it junior or the AHL

Abyss

GO BRUINS
Jun 20, 2005
CT
By limiting the places a player can play, the NHL is shooting themselves in the foot. They want good players but will not allow junior players to play in the AHL. The league should allow a max number of "underage" players to play on each AHL teams, say 2. And that's my solution.

But it's not like every under 20 year old junior player is ready for the NHL. Allowing 2 per team would be bad for the junior teams.

Selanne138

Nov 18, 2009
Emerson Etem, averaging over a Goal Per Game in juniors, he has nothing left to prove there.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008

Even 2 it would hurt soem major jr teams i know some hate the chl but in some markets its like nhl teams in a sense of presure tons of support.

startainfection*

and even tho its not the same as your question: bailey.

bailey absolutely dominated when he was sent down to the ahl last year, i dont think he is going to learn much if he gets sent down again

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Nikita Filatov.

And not with Columbus' AHL, with the B-Sens and coach KK, along with Kaspars Daugavins and Corey Locke. So far so good with 3 goals in 3 games.

arsmaster*

If the junior aged player isn't good enough for the NHL, he should be the Junior league.

An extra year in junior hasn't hurt anybody, especially when compared to some 18 year old kids who get thrown to the wolves in the NHL before they are ready.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad