Players who started hockey late and still made the NHL?

Wedontneedroads

Jul 14, 2008
San Jose
Rod Langway didn't start playing hockey until he was 13.

I don't see that kind of thing happening nowadays though. Too many kids playing since before they start school, I don't see any way somebody can jump in with the competition of the kids today while being a teenager and still make it to the NHL.

I 2nd this

My neighbor's kids play for the Jr. Sharks and I go out and skate with them every now and again at Sharks Ice. They are 12 and 15 and are absolutely lights out. I'm a good 10/15 yrs older and can body them out, but I have to catch the little fu***** first which gets harder to do every damn day.

Kids start skating at age 3/4. There is not much you can do to make up for 10+ years of natural skating ability. If I had a kid playing hockey I would put him in figure skating too just to work on that part of the game.

Hot Water Bottle

Aug 26, 2010
If you are a traditional Canadian farm boy then you automatically have the intangibles and you can join the NHL at any age you like.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I've heard that Niclas Wallin didn't play with a real team until he was 14 or something. I don't know if it's true though.

davebenj

Mar 19, 2011
I'd be willing to bet a lot of players can skate before they can talk. Lacing em up around 2 or 3 is pretty common. If there is a player in the NHL who starts at 15, I'd be shocked.

There are a good handful actually. At first I was a bit surprised too but it's not totally crazy if you think about it.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Ville Leino started when he was 17. Pretty darn impressive, if you ask me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ville_Leino

I simply can't believe that is true. Whomever added that wrote it in a way that makes it sound like he first laced up skates at 17. No way.

In 2013, there is no way someone with no hockey experience puts on skates and plays in the NHL just a few years later. Impossible. The game is far too difficult to learn and become skilled at for that to happen.

Even the Jovo thing is a bit of a stretch. He was a very good athlete who played organized soccer, and he did skate a lot as a kid - he just never played organized hockey.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
It could happen today. Jovanovski is an active player who wasn't much younger than Langway when he started. It's a matter of having the natural athleticism, physical frame, and a lot of access to ice time.

Is it likely... no. But it could happen, especially to a player who doesn't have the long successful career of a Langway or Jovo.

Jovanovski didn't start playing until he was 11.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
So, the basic idea here is to list a player, and then make up a fictional age when he began playing hockey? Okay, I'll play.

Paul Kariya started playing hockey when he was 26 years old (I think).

Angry Boys

Jun 23, 2009
I recall reading that Denis Grebeshkov started hockey at age 14. He was a LA Kings first round pick 4 years later

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Didn't Ovechkin not start until he was 8?

Not that old, but I think most guys started at least skating at like 4 or 5.

He started when he was 8 and he was horrible at it. His mom got him a coach(She's got a lot of power in Russian sports circles)and he eventually got better. Some said he got special treatment because he was Tatiana Ovechkina's kid.The crazy thing about it is by 16 he was playing with the men in the RSL, not bad for a little boy who could barely skate at 8.

GoGoGrabo

Nov 29, 2008
Mike Green didn't start until after he was 9 or 10. He was a skateboarder up until then.

Source: Story on Mike Green and his parents the Caps did in 2010.

w e l o s t b o y s

Drawing Frog 8
Nov 21, 2009
London
Last edited:

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
I remember Huet started late, he played road hockey with his buddies growing up and then started playing for real around 16.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad