Alex Diagle
Alex Svitov
RJ Umberger
Pavel Brendl
Aki Berg
Patrick Stephan
Brett Lindros

I'm sure i can think of more
RJ Umberger is a rookie in th AHL, which means first year of pro hockey, how would you classify him in this group?:

AgentNaslund*

Mikko Koivu
Volchkolv 3rd overall pick in 96
Bryen Allen.
Aki Berg.

monkey_00*

Bryan Fogarty was an excellent defencemen in the OHL who broke Bobby Orr's scoring records in junior hockey........but he was an alcoholic and the booze killed his stellar hockey career..........I believe he was drafted by the Quebec Nordiques as well.

monkey_00*

Chootoi said:
i'll go by 1st round picks who underachieved up until now, starting at 1999, cause you have to factor some development time into the equation

1999 - Patrick Stefan, Pavel Brendl, Brian Finley
1998 - Manny Malhotra, Rico Fata
1997 - Dan Tzachuk, JF Damphousse, Matt Zultek, Dan Cleary
1996 - Boyd Deveraux, Dan Focht
1995 - chad kilger, aki berg
1994 - Jason Boterill, Chris Dingman, Brett Lindros, Eric Fichaud, Jamie Storr, Jason Bonsignor
1993 - Alexandre Daigle, Todd Harvey

some guys i see becoming disappointments, or at least not living up to expectations

2000 - Jeff Taeffe, Krys Kolanos, Raffi Torres
2001 - Alexander Svitov, Carlo Colaiacovo, RJ Umberger, Jason Bacashihua
2002 - Jakob Koreis, Dan Paille, Martin Vagner, Scott Upshall
2003 - Braydon Coburn, Steve Bernier, Marc-Antoine Pouliot
2004 - Evgeny Malkin, Andrew Ladd, Al Montoya, Alexandre Picard, Rob Schremp

ok let me have it :)

Nice list you got there.........too much booze and drugs with alot of those players.........they should have just stayed clean and focused.

CoupeStanley

Dec 1, 2003
Nicolet
coupestanley.com
I think it was Mats Sundin, in his time with the Nords, that said something along the line of "The guy was coming to the morning practice hangover and still drunk, but he could still skate faster, shoot harder and deke better than all of us" ...

The guys had an immense talent, he could have been an HoF and pretty highly regarded one.

Apparently he was a pretty shy guy, with a tons of pression as a kid, and he feeled he needed to be drunk to stand it.

Sad ...

R.I.P Bryan Fogarty

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
CoupeStanley said:
I think it was Mats Sundin, in his time with the Nords, that said something along the line of "The guy was coming to the morning practice hangover and still drunk, but he could still skate faster, shoot harder and deke better than all of us" ...

The guys had an immense talent, he could have been an HoF and pretty highly regarded one.

Apparently he was a pretty shy guy, with a tons of pression as a kid, and he feeled he needed to be drunk to stand it.

Sad ...

R.I.P Bryan Fogarty
I read that story, He died last year didnt he? A sad story. He also had psychological problems too, didnt he?

monkey_00*

CoupeStanley said:

Sad ...

R.I.P Bryan Fogarty

Coupe Stanley...........

I wonder...........I wonder what type of numbers Fogarty would have posted up in the NHL if he had stayed sober?........I wonder if he would have even broke Bobby Orr's NHL scoring records?

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
Lou is God said:
Bryan Fogarty is not dead, not that I know of.

Bryan Fogarty passed away March 6, 2002 in Myrtle Beach, SC. He died of a heart attack while on vacation.

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
Allow me to be the first Oiler fan to offer up the name of Jason Bonsignore. Chosen higher than any player in franchise history, his was compared to the very best as a prospect.

Sadly, he never got close to being the player thought he would become. Honorable mention to Steve Kelly.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Christian Dube
Eric Fichaud
Jason Botterill
Nolan Baumgartner
Boyd Devereaux
Chad Kilger

Here are some players who looked like they were going to be superstars early in their careers but have had fairly disappointing careers considering their early success/hype:

Felix Potvin
Jason Arnott
Alexei Yashin
Chris Gratton
Bryan Berard
Oleg Tverdovsky
Pierre Turgeon
Saku Koivu

CoupeStanley

Dec 1, 2003
Nicolet
coupestanley.com
Here are some players who looked like they were going to be superstars early in their careers but have had fairly disappointing careers considering their early success/hype:

Felix Potvin -> Agree
Jason Arnott -> Early carrer number was boosted by the era, IMO
Alexei Yashin -> Off-ice problem, lack of motivation..
Chris Gratton -> Major Bust
Bryan Berard -> The guy lost a freakin eye dude.
Oleg Tverdovsky -> Agree
Pierre Turgeon -> In 1215 NHL games, Turgeon did score 495 goals, 779 assists for 1274 points. I see nothing wrong with that, do you?
Saku Koivu -> Could have went better for little Saku, but he's still one of the best in the game when it counts. He just cant bring his A++ game every night because of his fragile body.

CoupeStanley

Dec 1, 2003
Nicolet
coupestanley.com
monkey_00 said:
Coupe Stanley...........

I wonder...........I wonder what type of numbers Fogarty would have posted up in the NHL if he had stayed sober?........I wonder if he would have even broke Bobby Orr's NHL scoring records?

Thats pretty big shoes to fill.

We'll never really know but he got some good PPG for a young drunk defenseman who didnt really put any effort into rounding out his skill level.

1990-91 - 45 GM 9G 22A 31PTS
1991-92 - 20 GM 3G 12A 15PTS

I went a lot to the Colisee de Quebec in those years, and I can tell you something. Some night he looked like he could take over a game by himself, other nights it was braincramp after braincramp.

If he would have been able to stay focused and sobre in his developpement process, IMO, he's a guy that would have earned 8-10 millions bucks a season and have a couple of Norris Trophy, no doubt. He was that good.

Here's some quote I found on him on the web

He had everything. He could skate like the wind. He could see anybody on the ice. He could make the perfect pass. He was as talented as anybody I've seen in junior hockey. He broke all of Bobby Orr's records. Everybody was telling me you can't go wrong with him.

- Maurice Filion, former Quebec GM, who drafted Bryan Fogarty with the Nordiques' first pick in 1987, six picks ahead of Quebec's second selection, Joe Sakic

He needed the beer, but it was his demise. The profession, the lifestyle -- he couldn't handle it. He wanted the hockey, but it was so hard the way he was. The inside of Bryan and the world around him didn't seem to meet.

- Virginia Fogarty

Mats Sundin told me this: "Bryan Fogarty could skate faster, shoot harder and pass crisper drunk than the rest of us could sober."

- Max Offenberger

He was the best player I have ever seen. He had a heart of gold. He'd never hurt a fly. He'd do anything for you. He just couldn't help himself.

-Marc Laforge

We've got the real version of the quote now :yo:

Wetcoaster said:
Greg Joly, No. 1 over-all by Washington in 1974
Gord Kluzak No. 1 over-all by Boston in 1982
Brian Lawton No. 1 over-all by Minnesota in 1983 (Yzerman was picked No. 4 that year)
Patrik Stefan No. 1 over-all by Atlanta in 1999 (the next three did not live up to their hype as well being the Sedin sisters and Pavel Brendl)

Tough to blame Kluzak for being a bust when it was his knee that did him in. Seven surgeries in two years if I remember correctly.

First name that came to my mind was Jamie Storr. Drafted #4 overall wasn't he? Corey Hirsh would be another one.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Chootoi said:
2003 - Braydon Coburn, Steve Bernier, Marc-Antoine Pouliot
2004 - Evgeny Malkin, Andrew Ladd, Al Montoya, Alexandre Picard, Rob Schremp

ok let me have it :)

If you HAVE to take a dig at the Oilers, at least point your finger in the right direction. Schremp and MAP are progressing as well as could be expected (MAP finally getting over his injuries, Schremp being caught in the depth charts of a Knights team loaded with senior forwards).

Niinimaki. Now there's a thought. He has struggled to even crack the line-up of the Road Runners. Even he has struggled with injuries (reconstructed shoulders, still has limited mobility in those joints), and I think that they're enough to significantly limit his pro-hockey career.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
I keep seeing the name Brett Lindros, but I wonder if some posters are basing his ""potential greatness" on his draft number or his last name. I can't see anyone who ever saw him play believing he could be great, I thought he looked absolutely terrible. Don Maloney must have been delusional when he indicated time would tell that he had "gotten the better Lindros" :shakehead

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
CoupeStanley said:

Felix Potvin -> Agree
Jason Arnott -> Early carrer number was boosted by the era, IMO
Alexei Yashin -> Off-ice problem, lack of motivation..
Chris Gratton -> Major Bust
Bryan Berard -> The guy lost a freakin eye dude.
Oleg Tverdovsky -> Agree
Pierre Turgeon -> In 1215 NHL games, Turgeon did score 495 goals, 779 assists for 1274 points. I see nothing wrong with that, do you?
Saku Koivu -> Could have went better for little Saku, but he's still one of the best in the game when it counts. He just cant bring his A++ game every night because of his fragile body.

Jason Arnott was projected to be a lesser Eric Lindros after his Calder worthy rookie season in 1994.

Berard would have become much more if he hadn't been hurt.

Pierre Turgeon probably has scored more meaningless points in the NHL than any other player in league history.

Koivu just could have been much more of an impact player if he hadn't been hurt so much.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Bring Back Bucky said:
I keep seeing the name Brett Lindros, but I wonder if some posters are basing his ""potential greatness" on his draft number or his last name. I can't see anyone who ever saw him play believing he could be great, I thought he looked absolutely terrible. Don Maloney must have been delusional when he indicated time would tell that he had "gotten the better Lindros" :shakehead

He dominated the OHL after he was drafted, scoring 47 points in 26 games. He definitely showed flashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad