Players Who Had That Magical Year

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
I wasn't aware that the theme of this thread was "one year wonders". I was under the impression that we were discussing players who have had a season which stood out from others statistically during their careers... for any reason (including injury). That's why I nominated Alex Mogilny's 92 - 93 season.

Another good example would be Bobby Carpenter's 84 - 85 season with the Caps. He became the first American born player to score fifty in a season with 53, and finished with 95 points. His next best season was 32 goals and 69 points.

In that context then it's hard to ignore Yzerman's 155 point season where he should of won the Hart.
That was about as magical as you can get, especially considering he did it with a bunch of lunch pailers on his wings.

Peter9

Apr 1, 2008
Los Angeles, USA
Danny Lewicki, 1954-55, 29 goals, 24 assists, second all-star left wing. You've got to take into account the low scoring 1950s to appreciate this one.

thinkinfeller

Jun 20, 2010
Daniel Marois had a stand out year with the Leafs during the 89 - 90 campaign, notching 39 goals and 76 points in 68 games, which may not fall under the definition of "magical", but he was a favourite of mine for a couple of years, and showed alot of promise early on.

I'm not really sure what happened to him, but his career really derailed the following season, and other than brief stints with the Isles, Bruins, and Stars, he dissappeared completely.

thinkinfeller

Jun 20, 2010
In that context then it's hard to ignore Yzerman's 155 point season where he should of won the Hart.
That was about as magical as you can get, especially considering he did it with a bunch of lunch pailers on his wings.

I googled Stevie Y's stats after reading your post and noticed that he had 6 consecutive 100+ point seasons during his 20's, which were the only 6 100+ point seasons of his career.... didn't know that.

I realize he had some injury problems, but he also played several full seasons following the end of the above mentioned streak, while failing to ever score 100 pts again, despite being in his very early 30's. Other than a drop in overall scoring throughout the league, is there any other reason to account for the statistical drop-off?

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
I googled Stevie Y's stats after reading your post and noticed that he had 6 consecutive 100+ point seasons during his 20's, which were the only 6 100+ point seasons of his career.... didn't know that.

I realize he had some injury problems, but he also played several full seasons following the end of the above mentioned streak, while failing to ever score 100 pts again, despite being in his very early 30's. Other than a drop in overall scoring throughout the league, is there any other reason to account for the statistical drop-off?

Suffered through major back problems in 93/94, his knee's started going after that and was never quite the same after. Can't forget about his constantly bruised and sometimes broken feet from blocking shots either.
He was still a hell of a player but he no longer quite had that extra step that had made him so incredibly dangerous one on one.
That and the arrival of Bowman who demanded defensive accountability.

The thing that always gets me is when people act surprised at how great of a 2-way player Stevie was later in his career.
Back in the 80's he put other high scoring superstars to shame defensively and he was always a phenomenal faceoff guy.

Seriously, if you ever get a chance to watch the Oilers/Wings playoff series from 86/87, do it and you'll come away with a whole new appreciation for Steve Yzerman.

Last edited:

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
Suffered through major back problems in 93/94, his knee's started going after that and was never quite the same after. Can't forget about his constantly bruised and sometimes broken feet from blocking shots either.
He was still a hell of a player but he no longer quite had that extra step that had made him so incredibly dangerous one on one.
That and the arrival of Bowman who demanded defensive accountability.

The thing that always gets me is when people act surprised at how great of a 2-way player Stevie was later in his career.
Back in the 80's he put other high scoring superstars to shame defensively and he was always a phenomenal faceoff guy.

Seriously, if you ever get a chance to watch the Oilers/Wings playoff series from 86/87, do it and you'll come away with a whole new appreciation for Steve Yzerman.

I've been looking for that series on DVD. Do you know if it exists or if you can get it somewhere else?

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
I've been looking for that series on DVD. Do you know if it exists or if you can get it somewhere else?

Wish I did man.
My old roommate was a fanatical Wings fan and had most of the Wing's playoff games on VHS through the 80's.

Funny story actually, he told me that he was going to have move out if the rumour of Yzerman going to the Habs came true haha.

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
Wish I did man.
My old roommate was a fanatical Wings fan and had most of the Wing's playoff games on VHS through the 80's.

Funny story actually, he told me that he was going to have move out if the rumour of Yzerman going to the Habs came true haha.

Too bad I've been looking everywhere for those games.

Haha, yes seems alot of wings fans had suicidal thoughts about those rumours.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Daniel Marois had a stand out year with the Leafs during the 89 - 90 campaign, notching 39 goals and 76 points in 68 games, which may not fall under the definition of "magical", but he was a favourite of mine for a couple of years, and showed alot of promise early on.

I'm not really sure what happened to him, but his career really derailed the following season, and other than brief stints with the Isles, Bruins, and Stars, he dissappeared completely.

The reason he missed those games that year was a separated shoulder. He was never the same afterwards.

Also his back really became a problem for him.

LeBlondeDemon10

Jul 10, 2010
Canada
The two years Stephane Richer scored 50 goals. He never came close to playing at the level offensively he was playing those two years. He truly was a pleasure to watch. He still was a good player with New Jersey; more complete offensively and defensively.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
This thread is loaded with mediocre players who once did something special. But for a different kind of example, what about Martin St. Louis? He's been a great player, but nowhere near Hart caliber, aside from 2004.

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
2003-04 Penguins - Dick Tarnstrom
One of few D´s which led their team in points in a regular season (in his third NHL season). 103 games later he was out of the league.

1998-99 Canucks - Adrian Aucoin
From 3 goals from previous season and 13 career goals jump to 23 goals of which 18 were PP goals = tying the record of Denis Potvin.

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
What a thread and nobody mentioned CHRIS SIMONs 29 team leading goals in 2000, during heart of DPE!

Can we count BOB PROBERT´s career year?
In 1988 he scored 29 goals and 62 points with 398 career minutes what is almost 20 points more than his 2nd best performance and especially his playoff with 8 goals and 21 points in 16 games. He never came nowhere close to this numbers.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

Partly injuries, partly the fact that coach Bowman demanded that Yzerman play a more two-way game to help the team win.

JT Dutch*

... To a lesser extent, there's always guys like Gino Odjick, who scored 16 goals - 1/4 of his 12-year career total - in 1993-94.

And in the same season, Lyle Odelein scored 11 goals from the blue line, over 1/5 of his 16-year career total.

Scott1980

Apr 27, 2010
Toronto
Funny thing, Troy Murray was known for his defence!

I was sort of thinking about Chris Simon! Along that lines, I should have said, "Tough Guys who had a great year!"

How about from 89/90? You had two really popular guys for their respected teams, tough guys having career years:

Lou Franceschetti
Joe Kocur

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
wayne babych 54 goals

lanny macdonald 66 goals

craig simpson

jose theodore

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
Brian Gionta and his 89 points in 2005–06 comes to mind.

Edit: Sergei Zubov and his 89 point season in 1993-94 also deserves a mention.

zeus3007*

Rob Brown scored 49 goals on the Pens in his sophomore year. That's over a quarter of his goals, and he spent 13 seasons (or part seasons) in the NHL.

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
Franck: Zubov´s 89 points doesnt deserve a mention here, because Zubov was an elite defenceman, who had another great year with more than 70 points. Definetly not a fluke or magical season.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
This thread is loaded with mediocre players who once did something special. But for a different kind of example, what about Martin St. Louis? He's been a great player, but nowhere near Hart caliber, aside from 2004.

I would say he was basically as good in '06-07 though, there was just more players also having great years that year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad