Players who became scorers at older age

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Wow that's a great story! Too bad it's false.

Dupuis had a career high of 48 points/20 goals with Minnesota. Then he had seasons of 12, 28, 38, and 37 points as a Penguin - never topping 20 goals. Then, in 2012, when Sidney Crosby played only 22 games, Pascal Dupius had his best season ever with 59 points and 25 goals. Crosby had a hand in 10 of those points. Crosby had the primary assist on a whopping 3 goals for Dupuis that year.

The next season - where Dupuis had 38 points and 20 goals in 48 games, Crosby factored in a bit more - on 18 of those 38 points. This time Crosby had the primary assist for 5 of Dupuis's 20 goals.

The real reason Dupuis played with Crosby was Crosby sucked at defense and they needed a winger to take on the defensive responsibilities so Crosby could focus on offense.

A little aggressive, but okay.

95Tal

Jan 15, 2019
Portland, Oregon
John LeClair had limited playing time in his first five or so years, but did have a couple 70+ game seasons where he only scored 19 goals and 8 in 59. Of course, he took off during the Legion of Doom years with three 50 goal and two 40 goal seasons. He was a killer in the '93 Cup finals with Montreal so I wasn't surprised when he started tearing it up in Philly.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I mean, he has now 5 30+ goal season and scoring goals was not a reason why he was drafted. He didn't look like a scorer but he became one.
I mean, the title of the thread is "players who became scorers at an older age" and you named Pacioretty who scored 30+ in his first full NHL season. A guy who scored 30+ goals 5 times by the time he was 28 doesn't exactly fit the premise of the thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: iamjs

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
David Perron looks to be on that trajectory.
Yes and no. He was always underrated and therefore, was held back. Now that the Blues figured out he was not only a 2nd/3rd line guy, they see he can be a 1st line guy and he produces accordingly. But, I agree, he did get better. He's been buried because he doesn't have a big name but anyway. I heard many of his interview in French, with Martin Lemay (On Jase) and Perron is a very mature guy, despite some minor hockey or pre-draft stuff people might have heard.

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
Alexei Morozov was a streaky inconsistent scorer throughout his NHL career but would scorer goals at a crazy clip when he played against Martin Brouder, finally found his scoring touch when the RSL rebranded to the KHL is also the KHL's all time leader scorer or was the last time I checked a few years back.

TheJudge

Mar 11, 2007
Pavelski was a 25ish goal scorer until age 28/29 when he turned into a 40ish goal guy for a few years.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Guys that first spring to mind:
Robert Lang was pretty much a career extra forward until he broke out at 27 after Pittsburgh got him off waiver from Boston.

Pascal Dupuis didnt really break out until he was 32.

Mike Knuble was a run of the mill 4th line grinder until he became a 30 goal scorer out of nowhere at 30.

Kip Miller was a AHL/IHL journeyman then at age 29 he centered Jagr and became a 42 point scorer. ...In fact the only seasons of his career where he both scored more then 20 points and played full time came when being tied to Jagr's hip in Pittsburgh and Washington.

Why do I have no recollection of Lang playing for the Bruins at all?

Phenomenaut

Apr 23, 2020
Markus naslund didn’t become a top 6 winger until he was 26. 8 years after being drafted in the 1st round.
Markus Naslund had 36/30/66 at 25. He also scored 22/33/55 in his first full season at 22. Imagine being the Pens and trading him for Stojanov. People have this idea that it was two scrubs and Naslund broke out after, but no, in his rookie season he had 55 points in 69 games for the Pens and they still dumped him for nothing.

Yes, he did elevate to superstar late, but he was always a goalscorer. The struggle in Vancouver in his first two years was because he went from the Penguins, playing with Mario Lemieux (check the scoring log for Naslund, he played a lot of time at ES with him), to a dumpster fire.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Wow that's a great story! Too bad it's false.

Dupuis had a career high of 48 points/20 goals with Minnesota. Then he had seasons of 12, 28, 38, and 37 points as a Penguin - never topping 20 goals. Then, in 2012, when Sidney Crosby played only 22 games, Pascal Dupius had his best season ever with 59 points and 25 goals. Crosby had a hand in 10 of those points. Crosby had the primary assist on a whopping 3 goals for Dupuis that year.

The next season - where Dupuis had 38 points and 20 goals in 48 games, Crosby factored in a bit more - on 18 of those 38 points. This time Crosby had the primary assist for 5 of Dupuis's 20 goals.

The real reason Dupuis played with Crosby was Crosby sucked at defense and they needed a winger to take on the defensive responsibilities so Crosby could focus on offense.
I've got to give you credit for somehow turning your post into a slam against Crosby. At least you're always on brand.

Reactions: lawrence

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad