Players who are surprisingly not from Europe

Bowski

That's not how we do things in Pittsburgh
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
Since the thread title is not name-specific.

For years I thought Patrick Marleau was (born and raised) European, as I've seen his doppelgangers in Euro Adult films.
BNG-L-SJHOF-0914-81.jpg

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Isn’t Vladislav Namestnikov from Michigan or something?

Right, the classic Latvian name Zeev Buium. If there's one thing anyone knows about Latvian names, surely it's that every name must end with an -s
Zeev Buium is an Israeli name.

Zeev definitely is, Buium is not a common name at all but sounds Israeli enough

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
That young prospect Lindstrom. Not only he is not Swedish, he is black.

EA NHL franchise mode getting more and more realistic.
I loved in Madden franchise mode they would generate rookies with names like Trey’Shawn Washington and they would be blonde haired white kids.

The algorithm doesn’t discriminate

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
But not many in countries that produce NHLers. Name one European NHLer named Vincent.
Most of them are born in Quebec because the form "Vincent" most commonly used in English-speaking countries is literally French. It's not a name that even has an English derivative.

Also, Victor comes from the same root and there's like 900 of those in the NHL.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Huokaus

Oct 29, 2010
The first names are almost always a giveaway that a player is North American.

Kuemper, Bayreuther, Guenther, Eichel, Eberle, etc. are obviously all German names. But then you see "Darcy, Gavin, Dylan, Jack, and Jordan" - Those just aren't names that Germans, Swiss, or Austrians give their kids.

It's the same with other European countries / languages. Ray Ferraro, Kyle Palmieri, Jason Spezza or John Tavares. Pretty clearly those guys are Canadian or American with names like that. Guys like Fernando Pisani and Milan Lucic where the whole name "looks" European are the exceptions.

Obviously UK/Ireland and France are exceptions. But none of those countries are producing large amounts of pro hockey players.
I don't mean to do the whole "North America bad, I'm a smug European" thing, but I don't know how else to word it - I'm often quite surprised how bad North Americans are at understanding that super-duper American names should usually be a dead giveaway that a player isn't European (and yes, I know, most of these names have origins in Europe). Like that 99,9% of the time a player named Chad, Brandon, Steven, or Jamal is going to be North American regardless of their last name. There are exceptions like Douglas Murray or Brad Lambert, but you're usually going to hear about that as a trivia tidbit at some point.

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
But not many in countries that produce NHLers. Name one European NHLer named Vincent.
It's a common enough name in Slovakia (e.g. Vincent Lukáč).

As already mentioned, first name is usually a dead giveaway - just looking at the Canes, a Slavín would likely be Slovak/Czech, but a Jaccob? Never. A Güntzel would make excellent German, but a Jake? Nope. Antonio DeAngelo would be Italian, but not Anthony. That said, Stefan Nösen could pass for German no problem.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I always thought Brent Sopel had to be European. That was my own fault, ignoring his first name, "Brent."

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Side note: There are so many ideations of this name.

Vincent
Vince
Vincenzo
Vinny/Vinnie/Vinni
Vin
Vicente
Vincentius

Think I’m missing out on a few too lol

I always thought he was Czech or something.
Mortimer, another variation

Alex Nedeljkovic should be European, to the extent I assume he has a forged birth certificate

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Wahlstrom has at least one swedish parent.

Samuelssons dad is swedish and a former NHLer.

Haven't checked but quite sure Anders Bjork (Björk) has at least one swedish parent given the name.

Just like oil, his dad would float a lot.
It only looked that way because he was such a slick skater.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad