Players who are surprisingly not from Europe

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Most "American" names came from somewhere else first. Lots of them came from Europe.
Yes, that is true considering everyone in America came from somewhere else in the world except Native Americans. But a name like Skjei is not one I’ve come across before for someone born and raised in the States. Kind of like the Tkachuk family, actually, in terms of consonant placement.

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
Yes, that is true considering everyone in America came from somewhere else in the world except Native Americans. But a name like Skjei is not one I’ve come across before for someone born and raised in the States. Kind of like the Tkachuk family, actually, in terms of consonant placement.
Like the previous poster said the first name is pretty good indicator, if the guy is named Brady you're fairly safe assuming they're North American despite the last name.

Reactions: Zenos

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Him being German makes him European. You could want to be Marsian all you want, but that doesn’t make you one. Playing for Canada was never a option, period.

Besides, he also lived in Denmark before he ever even visited Canada…
Pretty sure his whole point is that being European =/ from Europe (necessarily).

Like, Olli Kölzig is obviously German but he isn't from Germany. It's just a very litteral take on the OP question.

Reactions: WhataKnight

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Wahlstrom has at least one swedish parent.

Samuelssons dad is swedish and a former NHLer.

Haven't checked but quite sure Anders Bjork (Björk) has at least one swedish parent given the name.

Michael Rasmussen should be from Sweeden. Mika Zibanejad should not.

Also, Dad Must Be An Oil Exec totally Swedish, but it turns out that he's just a rich kid from Calgary. I'm assuming that his dad must be an oil exec?

Just like oil, his dad would float a lot.

• Haha
Reactions: Zenos

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Tkachuk is a ukrainian name. A lot of ukrainians came to Canada at one point. Gretzky is the most famous example.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Funny topic, don’t have much to add, but I did always get a kick out of watching Eden Prairie, MN native Garrett Smaagaard on the ice, never made the big show but I always wanted to hear away announcers try and tackle that.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Him being German makes him European. You could want to be Marsian all you want, but that doesn’t make you one. Playing for Canada was never a option, period.

Besides, he also lived in Denmark before he ever even visited Canada…
We don't need to go all the way to Mars, are natives of Saint-Pierre and Miquelon Europeans given that they only have French passports and even live on French territory, despite living closer to Paris, Texas than Paris, France? He thought he was eligible to represent Canada and it was already too late to do the paperwork once it turned out he wasn't, as he had already moved to the US to play junior hockey there.

He was born in South Africa in 1970 and moved to North America as a toddler in 1973, living there ever since. I wouldn't say that a short stay in Denmark in between makes him Danish or even European in particular.

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
And the premise of this thread doesn't make much sense. North American players have ancestry from all over the place, especially from Europe. Most of the white European players will have a European name whether it's from Britain, Ireland, Sweden, Russia, or any other European country. Besides Native/Indigenous Americans, nobody has an "American" last name to my knowledge.

I guess perhaps there are a bunch of European last names that have been Americanized but these are typically changed into existing Anglo-Saxon names such as Issur Danielovitch changing his name to Kirk Douglas.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
We don't need to go all the way to Mars, are natives of Saint-Pierre and Miquelon Europeans given that they only have French passports and even live on French territory, despite living closer to Paris, Texas than Paris, France? He thought he was eligible to represent Canada and it was already too late to do the paperwork once it turned out he wasn't, as he had already moved to the US to play junior hockey there.

He was born in South Africa in 1970 and moved to North America as a toddler in 1973, living there ever since. I wouldn't say that a short stay in Denmark in between makes him Danish or even European in particular.
So what is he to you?

He represents European team, his family is European and he has no other citizenship but German which is a European country, he is European.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Most of the white European players will have a European name
Yes but many from European country that do not produce much nhler.

Marc Andrée Fleury obviously could be a French that never went to North America before being drafter in the nhl, but smarth money would have been to say more likely to be from Quebec.

If the surname sound russian-finnish-swede, czech, now it can be more likely to be from those.

MacKinnon is maybe common in Scotland, nhler are not that common from Scotland and Scottish immigrant that play hockey in North America are really common.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Namestikov is American, I believe ? Or just his brother ?

Gabe Landeskog looks and speaks like a NA
Namestnikov was born in Russia and played for Russia, but he's been in NA since he's a small child. If you've never heard him speak English before, it's really surprising. The accent is basically gone.

Arthur Kaliyev is another good pick. He's from Staten Island, NY. Born in Uzbekistan but represents the United States.

This is also a good thread to mention that Teddy Blueger is Latvian. His given name is Teodors Blugers.

Reactions: LeBrun is a Clown

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad