Players We Don't Need

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
All this bourque love. Can't wait to read the posts in December. So many people live in the moment here. He wouldn't be the first guy I'd deal but if you get a decent offer, you move him. Not high priority though and I sure as hell wouldn't keep him just because he's not a stiff in the playoffs. If we focused on getting bigger players we wouldn't be so enamored by the bourques of the world. The only undersized player I wouldn't get rid of is fallagher. Everyone else can go.

Nynja*

Josh mother freaking Gorges. What a giant pile of epic failure. The guy is above average at blocking shots and seems to have some leadership qualities. That's really about it. He's putrid in every single other part of the game. He'd be fine as a number 6-7 dman but the gets too much ice time for what he brings or doesn't bring should I say. Not really mobile for a dman his size, no vision, very poor offensive instinct, gets rag dolled an absurd amount of time.The guy even gets some PP ice time LOL. Mike Weaver brings more than whatever Gorges ever brought to this team and gets paid 3m less (plus he doesn't look like a gimp out there).

Yes, Georges sucks because he has a weak offensive upside as a DEFENSEMAN.

pine*

If Desharnais was a few inches taller he would untouchable, but just because him and Gionta are small they're no good?

The cost benefit is just about right.

If MB is sticking to his plan we might even be a contender next year.

Yeah and
if Bourque showed up every night, he'd win the Art Ross every year.
if Gorges had offensive ability like Subban, he'd be a shoe-in for the Norris.
if Eller could be consistent every night, he'd be a 1st line center.
if George Parros knew how to play hockey, he'd still be with us.
if Markov was 10 years younger, he'd be so dominant.

elsubz

Nov 3, 2007
Yes, Georges sucks because he has a weak offensive upside as a DEFENSEMAN.

A weak offensive upside would be fine but he has none and it's detrimental to the success of the team when he's playing over 20 minutes per game. If his role would be limited to playing on the PK and not exceeding let's say 13-15 minutes a game I'd be fine. When you look at top tier teams most of their top 4 can apply a constant pressure in the offensive zone. When the puck comes to Gorges his poor imagination and decision making constantly kills any momentum we may have. If the game had to be played mostly in our zone SURE he'd be ok even if his defensive skills are nothing to brag about but that's not the case. There's a game that has to be played in the other zone and he brings nothing.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
A weak offensive upside would be fine but he has none and it's detrimental to the success of the team when he's playing over 20 minutes per game. If his role would be limited to playing on the PK and not exceeding let's say 13-15 minutes a game I'd be fine. When you look at top tier teams most of their top 4 can apply a constant pressure in the offensive zone. When the puck comes to Gorges his poor imagination and decision making constantly kills any momentum we may have. If the game had to be played mostly in our zone SURE he'd be ok even if his defensive skills are nothing to brag about but that's not the case. There's a game that has to be played in the other zone and he brings nothing.

I don't think that's the case. He gets his 15-20 points a year and is usually a plus player with tough minutes. You don't do that if you have no clue what to do with the puck.

Stay at home d-men are not supposed to have imagination, they are there to make simple, effective plays. Not at 3.9 mil, maybe if you pay the big bucks for Weber(even he isn't very creative) and Seabrook.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Gorges is a fine player and good value at 3.9M. There's value in a guy who can play against very tough competition and keep his head above water, he plays very tough minutes and usually breaks even possession wise. He isn't going to put up points but that's something you coach around. The issue is the Subban-Gorges pairing means you have to minimize one player's value. If you give that pairing offensive deployment, you're wasting Gorges' defensive skill. If you use them as a shutdown pair, you waste the offense of one of the league's most dynamic players.

What I'd like to see is a competent right side #4 in Emelin's place to play on a shutdown pairing with Gorges. We did this to great effect early in the season, Gorges-Diaz took shutdown minutes and were very good until Diaz was press boxed and traded for no reason, while Markov-Subban dominated lesser competition. This is very similar to the way Chicago uses Keith-Seabrook and Hjalmarsson-Oduya to great effect.

I prefer the guy with offensive talent to the guy without it, but that doesn't mean offensively limited guys like Gorges are useless. He isn't Frankie Bouillion, Gorges can competently play against top competition as a shutdown guy and is an OK possession player in situations where most guys would get cratered. Sure it would be nice if Gorges was more talented, but if that were the case he wouldn't be making 3.9M, and he wouldn't have been part of a trade for Craig Rivet in the twilight of his career.

Last edited:

habfaninvictoria

Nov 1, 2007
Victoria BC
People keep saying Bourque, but I don't get it. Yes he's a frustrating player, but he makes 3.3m a year and was our best forward at times in the playoffs. That's enough for me.

I'd move Bourque. He showed up in some games sure, but for 3.3 million I want a reliable 2nd line winger who is willing to compete all the time, not just when it suits him. Against weaker matchups in TB he was able to dominate... news flash, he should be able to, he's not supposed to be a 3rd line winger. He was largely invisible against Boston and NY and showed the same regular season traits of invisibility and non-compete because they're deeper teams that were harder to play against so he just didn't try as hard as when it came easier to him. His value is high right now. We might even get something useful in return, at a minimum we free up cap space to acquire a second line winger who shows up occasionally.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
All this bourque love. Can't wait to read the posts in December. So many people live in the moment here. He wouldn't be the first guy I'd deal but if you get a decent offer, you move him. Not high priority though and I sure as hell wouldn't keep him just because he's not a stiff in the playoffs. If we focused on getting bigger players we wouldn't be so enamored by the bourques of the world. The only undersized player I wouldn't get rid of is fallagher. Everyone else can go.

This is pretty much my views on him. He's useful to us because he brings elements that we lack and isn't paid that much. But he's still expendable and since his value can go into the negative at pretty much any point in time getting something decent is the better option.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad