News Article: Players Tribune: Whitney and Rupp

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I've been in way too many locker rooms after the season with people crying. It's really tough because you know the people you call family will most likely be moving elsewhere at the end of the year.

These stories are incredible.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
Rupp
I’ll never forget my rookie year I was taking draws against Rod Brind’Amour, one of the best face-off guys in the league. So, of course, Rod is spanking me. Every time I come to the bench, I feel like I let my coach down. So finally I go out and Rod puts his stick down and he already has his feet turned sideways. I backed away from the dot and looked at the linesman and said, “Can you square him up?”

He goes, “… What?”

I say, “Uh … Can you square him up, please?”

He glares at me and says, “Hey, rookie? Put your f—— stick down before I throw you out of here.”

-----

Awesome.

cajal

Go Pens!
Dec 13, 2007
Miskatonic U
And eff Whitney who wants the sharks to win the next two :laugh:

If the laughing emoticon wasn't enough, I liked the article... thanks for posting it.

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
Whitney
They don’t understand the work it takes. I remember I was at this preseason camp with Sid and a bunch of NHL guys up in Vail a few years ago. Dan Cleary was there. He was a little older, like 36. Him and Sid — for whatever reason I have no idea — were playing one-on-one. Full ice. Not like joking around, doing shootout moves. Like, gamespeed one-on-one, full friggin’ ice.

I was standing there watching it like, “You guys realize we’re in Vail, right?â€

Afterward, Cleary said it was the longest practice of his life. He’s like, “I didn’t touch the puck once.â€

Crosby is crazy in the most wonderful way.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Rupp
I’ll never forget my rookie year I was taking draws against Rod Brind’Amour, one of the best face-off guys in the league. So, of course, Rod is spanking me. Every time I come to the bench, I feel like I let my coach down. So finally I go out and Rod puts his stick down and he already has his feet turned sideways. I backed away from the dot and looked at the linesman and said, “Can you square him up?â€

He goes, “… What?â€

I say, “Uh … Can you square him up, please?â€

He glares at me and says, “Hey, rookie? Put your f—— stick down before I throw you out of here.â€

I think Doug Gilmour had a similar story in his Players' Tribune article. He'd go into a draw with Messier and the linesman would kick out Messier. Messier would just be like "nah, I'm good" and the linesman would just shrug and drop the puck.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Crosby is crazy in the most wonderful way.

It's because of things likes this that I get so annoyed when people criticize Sid for a 'lack of effort.' Every time he struggles posters on this board say he's playing lazy or not trying. It's just insane. He's one of the most competitive guys in the world. When he's struggling, lack of effort is at the very, very bottom list of reasons why.

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
I think when Crosby's in a scoring funk he typically watches the puck a little bit and is a little slow to get get his feet moving - like he's thinking too much. That can look like "not trying" but once you realize those problems never reach his defensive game you should realize effort had nothing to do with it. He's just out of his flow.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Rupp
I’ll never forget my rookie year I was taking draws against Rod Brind’Amour, one of the best face-off guys in the league. So, of course, Rod is spanking me. Every time I come to the bench, I feel like I let my coach down. So finally I go out and Rod puts his stick down and he already has his feet turned sideways. I backed away from the dot and looked at the linesman and said, “Can you square him up?â€

He goes, “… What?â€

He glares at me and says, “Hey, rookie? Put your f—— stick down before I throw you out of here.â€

-----

Awesome.

That was my favourite part.:laugh:

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013
Some amazing stories about Crosby in here. And Whitney says some guys even cried after losing in 2008.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/2016-6-3-ryan-whitney-mike-rupp-stanley-cup-final-preview/

I believe it, it was a very emotional season. We had come so far from where we were before the 2005 lockout. What we did during the 2007-08 season was rather amazing, you almost got a sense that we were destined to win the Cup. Then we ran into the Red Wings and realized we weren't quite there yet, and we would have to start the process all over again. In all my life as a sports fan, I've never been so down as I was after game 6 of the 2008 finals, and the fact that we almost tied that game at the end made the loss even more painful.

Hockeygod66

Mar 25, 2007
Rupp

He goes, “… What?â€

-----

Awesome.

:laugh: :laugh: poor logan couture knows that feeling

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think when Crosby's in a scoring funk he typically watches the puck a little bit and is a little slow to get get his feet moving - like he's thinking too much. That can look like "not trying" but once you realize those problems never reach his defensive game you should realize effort had nothing to do with it. He's just out of his flow.

Guys like him, when stuff isn't going well, they get in their head way too much and they look distracted, for some of us, that seems lazy but it's a heat of the momemt type of situation.

Killswitch7187

Winter is here
Jun 29, 2009
State College, PA
I've loved all these from Rupper and Whitney. Great stuff, as always, from the PlayersTribune.

But on the topic of Rupp, I absolutely love him as an analyst. I'm glad the NHL has him and Weekes together on the NHL Network usually, both are great analysts and amazing personalities. Great chemistry. They are exactly what is needed to sell the game.

The NHL, well NBC, needs to employ these guys instead of the dinosaurs like Milbury. I truly believe guys like Rupp, Weekes, Lawton and etc would market the game so much better. They dive right into the fundamentals, rather than using cliche phrasings on why "X" won the game tonight, yada yada.

It's always great to see their segments on NHLN. There's so much more to them than the whole "San Jose has a better defensive core, so they're going to win the series" to them unlike ESPN, other outlets. Weekes predicted the Sharks I believe, but his reasoning was at least sound.

Simply put, I think Rupp is putting himself up there as my favorite NHL analyst, from ANY outlet.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
I've been in way too many locker rooms after the season with people crying. It's really tough because you know the people you call family will most likely be moving elsewhere at the end of the year.

These stories are incredible.

You played high-level hockey, Cole? I had no idea...

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
Rupp

He goes, “… What?â€

-----

Awesome.

That is HILARIOUS!

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Whitney
They don’t understand the work it takes. I remember I was at this preseason camp with Sid and a bunch of NHL guys up in Vail a few years ago. Dan Cleary was there. He was a little older, like 36. Him and Sid — for whatever reason I have no idea — were playing one-on-one. Full ice. Not like joking around, doing shootout moves. Like, gamespeed one-on-one, full friggin’ ice.

I was standing there watching it like, “You guys realize we’re in Vail, right?â€

Afterward, Cleary said it was the longest practice of his life. He’s like, “I didn’t touch the puck once.â€

This reminded me of a talk with a guy at the Peel Pub in MTL back in the nineties. We were discussing Mario vs Lindros & he told me that he once attended a fun practice that starred Mario. One on one, the other guy never got even close to touching the puck, all he saw was #66, all the time.

fastb

Mar 26, 2006
San Mateo, CA
It's because of things likes this that I get so annoyed when people criticize Sid for a 'lack of effort.' Every time he struggles posters on this board say he's playing lazy or not trying. It's just insane. He's one of the most competitive guys in the world. When he's struggling, lack of effort is at the very, very bottom list of reasons why.
If only he worked as hard as Jonathan Drouin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad