News Article: Players Tribune: Shanny answers mailbag questions

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
What is the worst attempt at chirping/trash talking you’ve seen on the ice? — u/DrCoconutsss

"I remember when I was in Detroit, Sean Avery stood up as Joe Sakic was skating by our bench. Sean was a young, enthusiastic hockey player who was well liked by us old guys, and as you might know, was known for trash talking. But when he stood up and yelled, “Hey Sakic!” Brett Hull grabbed him by the back of his sweater and yanked him down on the bench. Then he said, and I’ll never forget this, “You are not allowed to speak to Mr. Sakic.” And then Sean looked down the bench at the rest of the boys and we all just sort of nodded."

Damn... :laugh:

TheRexman

Just have fun
Jul 5, 2015
Quebec City
That was an excellent read, thanks for posting that.

I really enjoyed his insight on mentorship. The idea that the players who aren't superstars may actually be the better mentors for the young players made a lot of sense.

I'm taking a guess here but was the analytics question yours? You don't have to answer if you don't want to.

Riellyfan04

Feb 25, 2010
Toronto On
wow some stupid questions were asked. what a waste. they should asked more about the leafs and not stupid red wings and avs

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
wow some stupid questions were asked. what a waste. they should asked more about the leafs and not stupid red wings and avs
Agreed. I get Shanahan's career is of interest....but come on let's get some Leaf questions in there!

Although will still say the Avery thing was worth a laugh.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Lol. "You are not allowed to speak to Mr. Sakic."

That was :laugh:

Good read, that.

Yup!

I really enjoyed his insight on mentorship. The idea that the players who aren't superstars may actually be the better mentors for the young players made a lot of sense.

I'm taking a guess here but was the analytics question yours? You don't have to answer if you don't want to.

+1

This is almost the only place I read about hockey so I really appreciate when people post links to interesting articles. Thank you!

Also agree with the comment about mentorship,

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto

Actually it was:

With the management group of Shanahan, Lou Lamoriello, Kyle Dubas and Mark Hunter, how does the dynamic work within the front office? Does everybody have equal say regarding all decisions/discussions, or does each person’s input vary depending on the issue at hand?

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto

Agreed. I get Shanahan's career is of interest....but come on let's get some Leaf questions in there!

Although will still say the Avery thing was worth a laugh.

Players' Tribune articles are almost always stories from an athlete's past experiences. Not to mention, he's asked questions about the Leafs almost exclusively on a day-to-day basis in the media. This offers a different perspective to fans, and gives Shanahan a chance to switch things up a bit, and talk about other parts of his life that were as important to him as the present is.

Maybe you're just looking for the wrong thing in the wrong place?

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
It's the probable content of Avery's trash talk that Avery's Wings' teammates didn't want to see happen to Sakic. Sakic was the junior teammate of Sheldon Kennedy.

johan f

Jun 23, 2008
Sweden
It's interesting every time we get insight on what is going on in the game. Some players are clearly above others when it comes to respect and dignity. Maybe such codes are fading today. Does Crosby has that status or will get, one may wonder?

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
I love how he owns up to his reputation of being unsavory and perhaps dirty. "We
know what was said and done on the ice, but we never go there."

He did whatever it took to win. Which bodes well for the Leafs going forward.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
It's interesting every time we get insight on what is going on in the game. Some players are clearly above others when it comes to respect and dignity. Maybe such codes are fading today. Does Crosby has that status or will get, one may wonder?

Crosby is not a likeable guy across the league. It's just his personality. And he's ok with that, i'm sure. Sakic was liked and well-respected by teammates and opponents alike.

I'm sure Sid will get his due respect once his career is over.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I think the two captains were too respected that they were off limits to young punks who hadn't yet earned that right. The older Wings probably didn't want the same thing happening to Yzerman. Fair game by veterans, though. Chelios probably chirped Sakic all the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad