Players to target ahead of the expansion draft

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Pesce would be a beauty pick up but not sure it’s realistic. I’d imagine Carolina would rather lose bean than trade pesce for pennies on the dollar.

But they also have cap concerns, too, right?
Nows the time when good teams are going to be tipped even further than they would be to trade that mid-range defender.
But, maybe we can get Bean.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
But they also have cap concerns, too, right?
Nows the time when good teams are going to be tipped even further than they would be to trade that mid-range defender.
But, maybe we can get Bean.

Hamilton is the real x-factor for all of this. If he isn’t signed they should be fairly comfortable. Either way I hope Yzerman will kick tires on getting a d from them

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Expansion draft is supposed to happen before free agency starts, and I thought you can't buyout guys until after that, although could be wrong.

Buyout Period

The buyout period begins the later of June 15 or 48 hours after the Stanley Cup Final ends. It concludes on June 30 at 5 pm EST.

Probably adjusted for this season, but I think the buyouts could happen before the expansion draft.

Yeah, this is the correct answer. There’s always a buyout period after the playoffs but before free agency.

Last possible day of the playoffs this year is July 9th. Expansion draft is July 21st. No need to modify the language on the topic - they can open up the buyout window on July 11th at the latest.

For reference, the post-playoff buyout period in 2017 opened up June 15th and the Vegas ED started June 18th. NYR and Anaheim jumped at the chance to buyout Girardi and Beauchemin, respectively, on June 15th cause both guys had NMCs and would otherwise have to be protected.

Reactions: Oddbob

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Hamilton is the real x-factor for all of this. If he isn’t signed they should be fairly comfortable. Either way I hope Yzerman will kick tires on getting a d from them
I don't see Carolina trading within the division, especially when the Wings already give them trouble (3-3 this season).

The last thing they want to do is improve the Wings and wind up losing to a bottom half team. If they make a trade, it'll be with one of the other cellar teams.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I'd give Boston a call on DeBrusk. He's redundant now that they have Hall - and they are looking at re-signing him - and he would fit the type of player Yzerman wants on the team. At 3.675M, his salary is great too.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'd look more at some 25-27 year old defense making a substantial chunk of change.

Hanifin.
Carolina wants to protect Bean? How about trading for Pesche or Skjei?

Good defensemen should be available as cheap as they'll ever be on the trade market.

I saw this article listing 5 players most likely to be traded this off-season, and they listed Vince Dunn.

I think that would be someone worth looking at for us, for sure.

Reactions: MBH and Mister Ed

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1