Players to target ahead of the expansion draft

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
With an abundance of draft picks and a protection slot or two to fill, are there any players worth targeting in a trade that would otherwise be exposed by their current teams in the expansion draft?

I assumed we will protect:
Dylan Larkin
Tyler Bertuzzi
Jakub Vrana
Robby Fabbri
Michael Rasmussen

With 3 other possibilities being namestnikov, Erne & svechnikov. Id give an edge to Erne but overall my opinion is none of these 3 are in “must protect territory” so we could seek out a trade for someone who might otherwise have to be exposed.

This article identifies some possibilities around the league. They aren’t game changers but could be a solid acquisition for a low cost.
How the Canucks can benefit from the Seattle expansion draft: 12 trade targets at forward

some names include:
Zach Ranford or Sammy Blais in St. Louis, Matthieu Joseph in Tampa,
Zach Anston-Reese in Pittsburgh,
warren foegle in Carolina,
Colin Blackwell with NYR,
Aube-Kubel of the Flyers,
Jake Evan’s of the Habs,
Maxim Mamin with the Panthers,
Sonny Milano/Isaac Lunderstrom from the ducks
Matthew Phillips with the Flames

Of course, you could also look further up the roster on the teams above if you’re willing to pay a steeper price.

Overall, I don’t know the best approach but I’d love to see some creativity from Yzerman with our last two protection slots

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
With an abundance of draft picks and a protection slot or two to fill, are there any players worth targeting in a trade that would otherwise be exposed by their current teams in the expansion draft?

Dylan Larkin
Tyler Bertuzzi
Jakub Vrana
Robby Fabbri
Michael Rasmussen

With 3 other possibilities being namestnikov, Erne & svechnikov. Id give an edge to Erne but overall my opinion is none of these 3 are in “must protect territory” so we could seek out a trade for someone who might otherwise have to be exposed.

This article identifies some possibilities around the league. They aren’t game changers but could be a solid acquisition for a low cost.
How the Canucks can benefit from the Seattle expansion draft: 12 trade targets at forward

some names include:
Jake Evan’s of the Habs,

Of course, you could also look further up the roster on the teams above if you’re willing to pay a steeper price.

Overall, I don’t know the best approach but I’d love to see some creativity from Yzerman with our last two protection slots
I'd rather trade with Seattle and give them picks, prospects and/or AHL players for a middle pair LHD. Keep in mind they also have to fill an AHL team so guys like Barber and Hirose have more value to Seattle than any other team.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I'd rather trade with Seattle and give them picks, prospects and/or AHL players for a middle pair LHD. Keep in mind they also have to fill an AHL team so guys like Barber and Hirose have more value to Seattle than any other team.

you make a good point. I should have named the thread, “ how can we take advantage of the expansion draft”

I feel targeting teams with good players that will be exposed could be a good approach but I’m open to others

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
Problem with trying to get any of these guys is that they'll want back youth that doesn't need to be protected in return, or draft capital. Stuff we need.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Problem with trying to get any of these guys is that they'll want back youth that doesn't need to be protected in return, or draft capital. Stuff we need.

Sure, but they will also have, to some extent, getting something for their unprotected asset is better than nothing so it turns into a game of chicken over value, where a team like Detroit would be in the driver seat. For example, Offer up a 4th for a guy like Lunderstrom and the ducks can take it or risk losing him For nothing

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Svechnikov is not in play for a protection spot.

Namestnikov is only in play because he plays center.

Smith should be above both, along with Erne, imo.

As for trading assets for a "player".... ehhhhh. I agree with Sparty. Based on what will likely be asked for, it isn't worth it. I don't think there will be much of a market for good, young players who won't otherwise be protected. And if that player is being offered for only a 4th? Well, go for it I guess, but that "player" probably has little-to-no value in terms of our rebuild.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
Sure, but they will also have, to some extent, getting something for their unprotected asset is better than nothing so it turns into a game of chicken over value, where a team like Detroit would be in the driver seat. For example, Offer up a 4th for a guy like Lunderstrom and the ducks can take it or risk losing him For nothing

You could be overthinking this too, because they can't avoid losing something to Seattle. They have to have a sense of what Seattle is going to want from them, and if they don't, do they really want to lose two players for less than market value?

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
You could be overthinking this too, because they can't avoid losing something to Seattle. They have to have a sense of what Seattle is going to want from them, and if they don't, do they really want to lose two players for less than market value?

Sure but at the same time teams will be looking to avoid the mistake of a Karlsson + 1st + 2nd. Hindsight is 20-20 but Lumbus could have traded karlsson for something and given up a lesser player while holding on to their 1st and 2nd. Vegas had teams going through their lists in isolation. This time around they’ll talk to others if they are in a protection crunch.

Teams will be pretty active in repeating those kind of mistakes

Last edited:

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Svechnikov is not in play for a protection spot.

Namestnikov is only in play because he plays center.

Smith should be above both, along with Erne, imo.

As for trading assets for a "player".... ehhhhh. I agree with Sparty. Based on what will likely be asked for, it isn't worth it. I don't think there will be much of a market for good, young players who won't otherwise be protected. And if that player is being offered for only a 4th? Well, go for it I guess, but that "player" probably has little-to-no value in terms of our rebuild.
I'd keep Svech over Smith 10/10 times.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I'd keep Svech over Smith 10/10 times.

Smith is a high-floor, low-ceiling guy who can fill a niche spot (similar to LFG, but different niche). Not high value, but just enough.

Svech was a low-floor, high-ceiling guy who's ceiling has crashed down repeatedly over the years and has demonstrated that he is currently a low-floor, low-ceiling guy who can be waived repeatedly and not claimed. There is no reason at all to use a protection spot on this guy.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

Dylan Larkin
Tyler Bertuzzi
Jakub Vrana
Robby Fabbri
Michael Rasmussen

some names include:
Jake Evan’s of the Habs,

You mean Sanford.

I don’t know how many guys will actually be available. I expect a lot of teams to make deals with Seattle to ensure they take salary.

Reactions: SirloinUB

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Ryan Graves or Devon Toews from the Avs. They can't protect both, and most likely have to give up a 1st to do so, maybe even plus prospect(s), then we're better off offering something for them.
Either guys could be a long-term Red Wing.

Last edited:

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
The same would go for Dante Fabbro from Nashville.
Is it one thing Detroit should look for here, it's see if they can acquire NHL defenseman, who are good or have solid upside. Maybe one can get a d-man or two to build a core d-group.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
So the premise of the thread is to not protect Svechnikov, Erne, Smith and Namestnikov which would give us 2 protection slots. Therefore enabling us to deal for players that would need to be exposed.

That is an option. But, do we think there will be players / deals available that are worth the given up assets plus the guy we lose in expansion. Because whoever we are not protecting is part of the value it would cost us.

Example, is the player worth Smith and a 3rd. That’s a little different from just a 3rd.

Same goes for defence. 3rd could actually be cholowski and a 3rd.

Could be a good idea to grab a goalie this way though.

(actually, to be more accurate... it’s not smith and a 3rd. It’s the difference between who they’d choose normally and smith. Plus a 3rd)

If that makes sense.

Last edited:

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Ryan Graves or Devon Toews from the Avs. They can't protect both, and most likely have to give up a 1st to do so, maybe even plus prospect(s), then we're better off offering something for them.
Either guy could be a long-term Red Wing.

Sakic isn’t letting that happen. Rumor has it the Avs will buyout Johnson if they can’t finagle something else.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
Are their any high potential goalies that could be exposed / traded for in this manner?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Dylan Larkin
Tyler Bertuzzi
Jakub Vrana
Robby Fabbri
Michael Rasmussen

some names include:
Jake Evan’s of the Habs,

There are teams that without moves that will have much better names than this available. There are at least 2-3 teams that have 4 defenders worth protecting, and I think that is who we should approach, and see if we can get a bargain on someone.

Carolina has: Slavin, Pesce, Hamilton, and Skjei (unless they protect 4 defenders but that leaves some decent forwards available)
Tampa Bay has: Hedman, Sergachev, McDonagh, and Cernak
Anaheim has: Fowler, Lindholm, Shattenkirk, and Manson
Calgary has: Giordano, Tanev, Hanifin and Andersson
Colorado has: Makar, Toews, Johnson, Graves and Girard
Minnesota has: Suter, Spurgeon, Brodin and Dumba
Nashville has: Josi, Ellis, Ekholm and I think they don't want to lose Fabbro
St. Louis has: Parayko, Faulk, Krug and Dunn

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Sakic isn’t letting that happen. Rumor has it the Avs will buyout Johnson if they can’t finagle something else.

Expansion draft is supposed to happen before free agency starts, and I thought you can't buyout guys until after that, although could be wrong.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Bring those 2 to Red Wings for avaluation

Zetterbeer

Aug 4, 2018
Ontario
Jake Bean would definitely be my main target. I would think Carolina would rather protect him over Skjei, but he would be my go to target.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Expansion draft is supposed to happen before free agency starts, and I thought you can't buyout guys until after that, although could be wrong.

Buyout Period

The buyout period begins the later of June 15 or 48 hours after the Stanley Cup Final ends. It concludes on June 30 at 5 pm EST.

Probably adjusted for this season, but I think the buyouts could happen before the expansion draft.

Reactions: Oddbob

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I'd look more at some 25-27 year old defense making a substantial chunk of change.

Hanifin.
Carolina wants to protect Bean? How about trading for Pesche or Skjei?

Good defensemen should be available as cheap as they'll ever be on the trade market.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Pesce would be a beauty pick up but not sure it’s realistic. I’d imagine Carolina would rather lose bean than trade pesce for pennies on the dollar.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $16,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Frosinone vs Inter Milan
    Frosinone vs Inter Milan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $250.00