WJC: Players that you are looking forward to watch

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I think Slafkovsky will stay with TPS and Nemec is probably AHL bound, and Mesar could go to the OHL if the team that selects him chooses so. I’d actually hope they are in the NHL, could be the first time ever that a Slovak misses the WJC because the nhl team doesn’t release them!
Nemec is probably AHL bound .. D take longer and that's where he belongs (like Jiricek).
Mesar might be above OHL by that point... depends on team that takes him.
Slaf might be in NHL right away... he'll go early to a weak team that might be able to use him right away and he has 'man' size already. If not, i'd want him in AHL personally.

Rusty7550

Aug 11, 2018
Nemec is probably AHL bound .. D take longer and that's where he belongs (like Jiricek).
Mesar might be above OHL by that point... depends on team that takes him.
Slaf might be in NHL right away... he'll go early to a weak team that might be able to use him right away and he has 'man' size already. If not, i'd want him in AHL personally.
I think Mesar should play men's hockey next season. I've been watching him whole season and he's awesome in every game. Unfortunately he plays with a bums in HK Poprad. He also looked very good at the Deutschland Cup 2 weeks ago.

Reactions: Czechboy

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
USA: Berard
Canada: Garand
Sweden: Eklund
Czech Republic: Kulich
Austria: Kasper
Germany: Peterka
Russia: Michkov
Switzerland: Bichsel
Slovakia: Dvorsky
Finland: Vaisanen

Hockeyfrilla

Swe prospect fanatic
May 25, 2008
Sweden
USA: Sanderson, Huges, Beniers, Pastujov
Canada: Power, Johnson, Mctavish, Bedard, Wright
Sweden: Holtz, Eklund, Edvinsson, Lysell
Czech Republic: Jiricek, Kulich, Mysak
Germany: Elias
Russia: Askarov, Michkov, Mukhamadullin, khusnudinov
Switzerland: Knak
Slovakia: Dvorsky, Slafkovsky, Knazko
Finland: Kemell, Lambert, Niemelä, Hirvonen

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
Logan Cooley..a month ago he was excellent in Switzerland.
I am also curious whether Slovakia, after years of low or no expectations, can advance to the medal matches. Usually when a weak teams has high expectations of their team, failure comes.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Logan Cooley..a month ago he was excellent in Switzerland.
I am also curious whether Slovakia, after years of low or no expectations, can advance to the medal matches. Usually when a weak teams has high expectations of their team, failure comes.
The divisional setup did Slovakia no favours. They are likely to place behind the three heavyweights in fourth setting them on a likely collision course with Canada.

Reactions: hellwar9

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
The divisional setup did Slovakia no favours. They are likely to place behind the three heavyweights in fourth setting them on a likely collision course with Canada.
They’ll beat Sweden awful roster selection and even worse game coaching.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
From the Group A:

Canada: Bedard, Wright, Power, McTavish
Czech Republic: Kulich, Kos
Germany: They will miss Peterka, Stutzle and Reichel so no one particular
Finland: Kemell, Lambert, Niemelä

Players from the Group B I'll be publishing later on.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Dvorsky, Slafkovsky, Chromiak, Mesar, Nemec. Actually a lot of the Slovakian team.
The russian team. Stacked.
Mostly Bedard from Canada but perhaps Wright and Perfetti as well.
Kemell and Niemelä. In some way Lambert as well, has a lot to prove.
Lekkerimäki (oh not selected, never mind), Eklund, Holtz, Olausson, Nybeck and Edvinsson.
Jiricek and Svozil.
Pastusjov, Coronato. Sanderson and Beniers.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
They’ll beat Sweden awful roster selection and even worse game coaching.
The Swedish roster is absolutely stacked. The omission of one good defenseman and maybe a couple of depth forwards is hardly going to hamper your team. As for Monten, he may not be the best coach out there, but coaching deficiencies tend to not factor in too much until a team is really pushed, which likely won’t happen in the matchup with Slovakia.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
The Swedish roster is absolutely stacked. The omission of one good defenseman and maybe a couple of depth forwards is hardly going to hamper your team. As for Monten, he may not be the best coach out there, but coaching deficiencies tend to not factor in too much until a team is really pushed, which likely won’t happen in the matchup with Slovakia.
The problem with the swedish WJC teams has been scoring depth for as long as I can remember he had plenty of options to combat that this time instead the moron pretty much went with two straight up grit lines with no skill and two extra forwards with even less skill.

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
All the players my team drafted- Wallstedt, Khusnutdinov, Lambos, ROR, Peart, Novak.

Also, Michkov, Svechkov, Bedard, Wright, Zellweger, Kleven(used to play with my son when they were tiny)...can't get enough of watching Beniers play. He, and Sanderson, will have to be fantastic if USA hopes to win Gold.

I want to watch Askarov, but partly to see if he implodes.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden

Stacked? With players such as Åke, Ljugman, Ekmark, Stenman, Torgersson, Sjöholm, Forsjäll, Sjöberg, Magnusson? We dont have the depth.

And no, we are not beating Slovakia. No way.

Reactions: stastny12

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Stacked? With players such as Åke, Ljugman, Ekmark, Stenman, Torgersson, Sjöholm, Forsjäll, Sjöberg, Magnusson? We dont have the depth.

It would still be a considerable upset if Slovakia beat Sweden, even with our improved roster. Tbh I think our best chance for an upset is the first game against Americans. If we can catch them off guard, and we usually play them pretty close.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
It would still be a considerable upset if Slovakia beat Sweden, even with our improved roster. Tbh I think our best chance for an upset is the first game against Americans. If we can catch them off guard, and we usually play them pretty close.
That's funny because I'm thinking aout skipping our first match against Canada.lol

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver

Though I’m not familiar with the guys you’re questioning, surely some of them are being underrated. Your top line guys a phenomenal, as is your D corps in general. Wallstedt is one of the top goalies in the tournament. It looks like there is a lot to like about this team.

If you have some concerns about this team’s ability to win gold, I could perhaps get behind that, but to say that this roster is going to flail in the preliminary round despite Sweden having a well documented history of success seems ridiculously pessimistic.

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
Though I’m not familiar with the guys you’re questioning, surely some of them are being underrated. Your top line guys a phenomenal, as is your D corps in general. Wallstedt is one of the top goalies in the tournament. It looks like there is a lot to like about this team.

If you have some concerns about this team’s ability to win gold, I could perhaps get behind that, but to say that this roster is going to flail in the preliminary round despite Sweden having a well documented history of success seems ridiculously pessimistic.

Choose Jost for the Canada Olympic team and let him play in the second attack. And maybe put Huberdeau in the fourth attack... that's how Canadian fans would feel if they were led by Monten. Do you already understand the fear of Swedish fans about coaching Monten?

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Choose Jost for the Canada Olympic team and let him play in the second attack. And maybe put Huberdeau in the fourth attack... that's how Canadian fans would feel if they were led by Monten. Do you already understand the fear of Swedish fans about coaching Monten?
I don’t see Eklund or Holtz on the fourth line, so I definitely think that’s an exaggeration. As a fan of Canada, I have criticisms all the time about lineup choices and configuration, but I can still see that a team with a good roster should be able to win games, and Sweden has a good roster.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019

The reaction is a bit over the top but there is no doubt that the roster selection was absolutely mind blowingly ridiculous. You are underselling just how much of a clown Monten has been. Both Ljungman and Stakkestad seem to be playing on the second line over high skill top prospects and players that probably are at least twice as good. Wallinder is a top prospect and would be one of the best defencemen in the tournament but was left off the roster entirely. About 10 guys, maybe more don't deserve to be on the roster, and a few of them are probably not among the 50 best options. There is still a lot of high end talent on the team, but Monten singlehandedly ruined our chances at a gold medal by bringing shit undrafted players over hyped first, second and third round prospects.

Imagine Canada left off Theodore and Ekblad for Jacob Bryson and Cody Ceci on defense. While omitting Stamkos, Huberdeau, Marner, Tavares and Stone for Scott Laughton, Tanner Pearson, Anthony Beauvillier, Brett Howden and Jake DeBrusk. I think that is a genuinely fitting comparison to what Monten has done here.

I agree with the general point though. Sweden still has a strong team and obviously still have chances to do well.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
I don’t see Eklund or Holtz on the fourth line, so I definitely think that’s an exaggeration. As a fan of Canada, I have criticisms all the time about lineup choices and configuration, but I can still see that a team with a good roster should be able to win games, and Sweden has a good roster.

Hmmm, I knew I had to writte more examples than just Jost vs Huberdeau. Monten never really choooses the best he has, height and weight are more then skills. Grönborg loved Hagg, Monten Ginning.. a big and strong guy, it doesn't matter at all that he can't do anything with puck on a hockey stick and one is afraid of what a mistake he will make.

I would be quite interested to see what Monten's view of hockey is. Two offensives line and two defensives line? He really does something like that...in 2021 !!!

Reactions: AB13

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
Sweden lost 2 times in their last 56 group stage games. If we beat them this year, I don't think I'd be able to speak for a week

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Pretty much all top players from Team Slovakia, Russia, Sweden and Finland. Canada and USA mehh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad