Players, that were given and not given chances to shine in the NHL?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I think, the first group example could obviously be Martin St. Louis. Calgary considered him useless, but Tampa gave him a chance to prove he wasn't, and he used that chance pretty well.

Another positive example is Kempny. A KHL guy, whom Chicago didn't need, and who became an important part of that successfull Cup run by Washington.

The second group players... Well, this one is subjective, of course. I personally think, Kiselevich isn't any worse, than Kempny, he just didn't get a chance to become a regular. I think, Dawes could be an NHLer, but yeah, he wasn't lucky to find his Tampa, like St. Louis was.

Anybody else for both groups?

Reactions: egelband

razor8

Nov 28, 2017
Don't know about given or not, but most people just have to take it themselves. No one is going to just give you a place in the NHL and millions in salary.

You start feeling entitled and just waiting for someone to do the work for you, then you're in for a rude awakening. I think Puljujärvi falls into this category. He thought he'd just show up and play with McDavid and make millions. Didn't quite turn out like that.

Don't know if this answers anything, but there you go.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Don't know about given or not, but most people just have to take it themselves. No one is going to just give you a place in the NHL and millions in salary.

You start feeling entitled and just waiting for someone to do the work for you, then you're in for a rude awakening. I think Puljujärvi falls into this category. He thought he'd just show up and play with McDavid and make millions. Didn't quite turn out like that.

Don't know if this answers anything, but there you go.

I'd say, you aren't totally right. I mean, look at all those wasted chances Yakupov was given, just because he was 1st OA.

insomniac

High on Hockey
Jul 31, 2009
Ottawa
forum.highonhockey.com
Curtis Lazar has been given every chance to shine. Ottawa and Calgary both tried him at times with their big guns but he never managed to sustain any production. In Ottawa he was given chances with Zibanejad, Stone, Turris, and Hoffman. In Calgary he had opportunities with Monahan, Gaudreau, Tkachuk, and Lindholm. No, he didn't play most of his minutes with those guys, but that's because he squandered the many opportunities he did get. Ottawa even used him a not insignificant amount on their powerplay.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Vegas’ inaugural season; a team comprised of players deemed expendable, who, put in a different situation, were a series away from lifting the Cup.

Reactions: D1az

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
galchenyuk has been garbage for 3 years now keeps getting chances tho

meanwhile, daniel carr has produced good results in small samples for 4 straight years now and cant seem to get a full time NHL gig

Galchenyuk was stapled to the 4th line alongside Steve Ott and Dwight King in our 2017 series against Montreal, Price was top notch but didn't get enough goal support. Seems as if Galchenyuk really was given a chance he could have been the difference in that series. The one time he was actually given a chance in MTL he scored 30 goals...

Reactions: stopclickbait

Rento

Sep 20, 2016
For me a player that should've gotten a better chance with NHL team was back in 2008-2009 Janne Pesonen with the Pens. First NA season, 7 nhl games with around 7min TOI/G (if i remember correct) and on the AHL side 70GP 32G 50A. Would've like to seen him on the NHL for at least 20 games with decent TOI.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland

meanwhile, daniel carr has produced good results in small samples for 4 straight years now and cant seem to get a full time NHL gig

Definitely agree on Carr. Dude has looked great every time he's got a chance and still somehow can't find a regular NHL spot anywhere. I feel bad for the guy.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I always get **** after mentioning this name but.... Teemu Pulkkinen, sure he has flaws in his game
but if he was given a true chance in the NHL his pro's would of out shone his con's.

13-14 season: 3 games for Red Wings, total of ice time: 21 minutes and change (about 7 minutes per game)
14-15 season: 31 games for Red Wings, about 11 minutes per game
15-16 season: 36 games for Red Wings, about 11 minutes per game
16-17 season: 9 games for Wild, about 9 minutes per game, 4 games for Coyotes, about 9 minutes per game

0.47 goals per game and 0.93 points per game in the AHL (241 games)
+ 0.58 goals per game and 0.86 points per game in the AHL play-offs (43 games)

He is still relatively young, what?, 26?, 27?. Really hope that one day, some NHL coach re-discovers him
and gives him a shot that he clearly deserves.

Reactions: egelband

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Definitely agree on Carr. Dude has looked great every time he's got a chance and still somehow can't find a regular NHL spot anywhere. I feel bad for the guy.

Daniel Carr and Ryan Reaves were employed by the same organization this season.

Ryan Reaves played 80 games.

Daniel Carr played 6.

upload_2019-7-28_0-21-45.png

upload_2019-7-28_0-22-30.png

upload_2019-7-28_0-14-32.png

upload_2019-7-28_0-16-3.png

upload_2019-7-28_0-17-31.png

upload_2019-7-28_0-17-57.png

reavery87

carrxda91

Last edited:

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
tbf reaves doesnt suck honestly, but yeah lol

Reaves had a decent 4th line season this year, but in the 3 prior, Carr absolutely blew him out of the water in his limited time.

Despite that, Vegas didn't even play Carr for more than 6 games. While Reaves got 80.

Oooh, didn't realize Nashville signed Carr. They signed Rocco Grimaldi last year and gave him an opportunity, I wonder if they do the same for Carr.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

KnockHobbler

Sep 13, 2018
Players given many chances:
Shane Prince
Jared Cowen
Colin Greening
Filatov
Lazar
Bobby butler

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
James real deal Neal in Calgary, coach didn’t like him so he buried him at the bottom of the roster with no chance to succeed. He will get 30G easy on McDavids wing, possibly 40.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad