Speculation: Players Strengths & Weaknesses

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Another game. Pick the top three players who best represent the following categories of speed, skating, shot, passing and durability. Assuming the roster is Jagr, Barkov, Huberdeau, Bjugstad, Pirri, Smith, Bolland, Trocheck, Jokinen, Mackenzie, Grimaldi, Howden, Campbell, Ekblad, Gudbranson, Kulikov, Mitchell, Kampfer, with Thornton and Petrovic as healthy scratches. Goalies aren't included. Found it interesting to see some names come up multiple times and some guys don't fit the criteria of any of the five categories.

Speed: (fastest player and best first three strides)
1) Howden
2) Grimaldi
3) Mackenzie

Skating: (best all around skater)
1) Campbell
2) Kulikov
3) Smith

Shot: (best combo of accuracy and velocity)
1) Pirri
2) Bjugstad
3) Ekblad

Passing: (best overall hockey sense/iceQ)
1) Huberdeau
2) Jagr
3) Barkov

Durability: (hardly misses games, most dependable)
1) Campbell
2) Mackenzie
3) Ekblad

Last edited:

barkovcanfinnish

remember to breathe
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
Speed:
Howden
Kulikov
Grimaldi

Skating:
Bjugstad
Campbell
Ekblad

Shot:
Pirri
Bjugstad
Barkov

Passing:
Barkov
Huberdeau
Jagr

Durability:
Campbell
Gudbranson/Ekblad
Mackenzie

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
speed
1) grimaldi
2) howden
3) mackenzie

skating
1) grimaldi
2) kulikov
3) trocheck

shot
1) bjugstad
2) pirri
3) ekblad

passing
1) jagr
2) barkov
3) huberdeau

durability
1) mackenzie
2) campbell
3) jagr

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Speed:
1) Howden
2) Grimaldi
3) MacKenzie

Skating:
1) Campbell
2) Kulikov
3) Ekblad

Shot:
1) Pirri
2) Bjugstad
3) Barkov

Passing:
1) Barkov
2) Huberdeau
3) Jokinen

Durability:
1) MacKenzie
2) Campbell
3) Ekblad

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
campbell used to be one of the best skaters in the league, now he's probably still up there

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Other than last year, MacKenzie has had durability problems in the past. He plays such a hard game that it's impossible for his body not to break down at times.

Anyone who can do that little pirouette with the puck is an excellent skater. Campbell is easily the best skater on the club.

It's not even close on best shot.......Pirri by a mile.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Campbell is not the best skater, not even close.

Even at his age, he's still among the strongest skaters on the team, if not the best. He is the best skater on the team, imo.

campbell used to be one of the best skaters in the league, now he's probably still up there
Campbell has lost some stamina which shows at the end of the shift, he isn't as fast back to the own zone as he used to be.

Purely technique and agility wise, he's still easily top10 in the league, if not even higher.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Shot:
Pirri
Bjugstad
Jagr

jagr needs to be in the there. although ekblad and gudbranson are definitely no slouches with their shots, jagr still has one of the prettiest snappers. I'm surprised no ones put him in there yet.

for speed, not necessarily acceleration but as far as top speed goes i think bjugstad is definitely in there, with his long strides he can really get moving.
kampfer is a very good all around skater, id put him in the skating category.
bollands a pretty underrated passer, if he played on the 2nd line and never missed a game he'd surprise a lot of people imo.

just for fun you should add a shootout category, so which 3 skaters would you want in the shootout first. if so huberdeau, barkov, pirri for me with bjugstad and bolland as the next skaters.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Durability:
Campbell
Gudbranson/Ekblad
Mackenzie

Gudbranson durable? That's arguable. Last season was the closest "full season" he played for the Panthers and it was 76 games. I hope he can manage to stay in all 82 next season. I know he plays a tough game, but we need him every game. Preferably healthy. I remember a couple games where he played hurt and it was obvious because he was so damn terrible in them.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Even at his age, he's still among the strongest skaters on the team, if not the best. He is the best skater on the team, imo.

Yes, and I think it's one of the main reasons why he's able to remain a decently effective defenseman.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Gudbranson durable? That's arguable. Last season was the closest "full season" he played for the Panthers and it was 76 games. I hope he can manage to stay in all 82 next season. I know he plays a tough game, but we need him every game. Preferably healthy. I remember a couple games where he played hurt and it was obvious because he was so damn terrible in them.

He was healthy scratched one game so he could have gone 77 =D

barkovcanfinnish

remember to breathe
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL

Considering the style he chooses to play, along with the injury history basically anyone who plays for the Panthers has, I'd say he's pretty durable. He's a large dude. He gives bumps and takes them every time he's on the ice. With all due respect to Brian Campbell, he played all 82 games and had 44 hits. Erik Gudbranson played 76 games and had 212 hits. The number of hits you give doesn't make you more durable, but it risks injuring yourself while dishing them out. I can't guarantee he'll play every game (he could get suspended :laugh:) but I feel like he can stay healthy. In my opinion, last year was his best year yet. I can probably count one or two games last year where he had a clear-cut bad game. Definite improvement from his previous seasons. If he continues his progression as well as his adaptation to the style he plays, I think he can stay healthy all year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad