Players Number Retired with More Then 1 Franchise

massivegoonery

Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
did Chicago retire Bobby Orr's #4 ??? i know he played only 26 games & i don't follow the hawks thats why i'm asking. :help:

Nope. Not gonna happen either.

Hall, Hull, Magnuson, Savard, Esposito, Mikita.

Cases can be made for Larmer and Chelios, but I doubt either will happen.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
Nope. Not gonna happen either.

Hall, Hull, Magnuson, Savard, Esposito, Mikita.

Cases can be made for Larmer and Chelios, but I doubt either will happen.
Better cases could be made for Seibert, Gardiner, Mosienko & the Bentley brothers. The only original 6 American franchise that shows appropriate respect for its past is Boston.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Is this why the Red Wings have lockers in their locker room for Howe, Lindsay and Sawchuck?

Or why they haven't messed with their jersey, unlike Boston?

Almonzo Wilder

Nov 25, 2007
I dunno, 73 points in 94 games and carried them over the top to win the Cup with 10 pts in that postseason (which was the reason he was traded in the first place) is no small feat. Yeah - he's always going to be remembered as a Bruin, but from an Avs fan's perspective, it's their first Cup and he was a big part of it.

If Leetch's number was retired in Boston, THAT would be a joke.

It is a joke. I could name at least 20 Islanders more deserving of having their number retired than Bourque with the Avs. If the Habs used such low criteria for having their numbers retired they wouldn't have any numbers left to give out.

Walkingthroughforest

I got the worst ******* attorneys
Aug 19, 2007
Do Calgary fans feel that his number should be retired? because from my perspective, he's as much (if not more) a Flame than a Blue. He roughly split his career in half between the two teams, with more games in Calgary. And (again, I may be dead off since I'm not a Flames fan) I think the argument can be made that he's the greatest Calgary Flame in their history.

A lot of us do want to see Al's number retired, he still is the flames all time point leader.
But the club has been very hesitant to retire jerseys, the only one we had for the longest time was Macdonalds #9, and only last year did we retire Vernon's #30.
Along with Macinnis, I would like to see Fluery's, and Nieuwendyk's numbers retired as well, since they were such a huge part of our history.
Hopefully in the next couple of years we can see this.

Plato

Nov 12, 2005
New York
No franchise has made as many bad decisions about whose number to retire as the Rangers.
So many greats left out...

The Korean*

Just remember, team retires numbers for those who was vital to a team's success. You could be a 800point forward who played 1000 games the entire career when you retire and get your number hanged up because you were a vital part of the team. Andy Bathgate was indeed a good player, but ask your selves this. Did he contribute enough to the team?

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
Just remember, team retires numbers for those who was vital to a team's success. You could be a 800point forward who played 1000 games the entire career when you retire and get your number hanged up because you were a vital part of the team. Andy Bathgate was indeed a good player, but ask your selves this. Did he contribute enough to the team?
Most certainly more than Graves.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
Well my guess is no, since they won no cup and Graves stayed with Rangers longer then Bathgate.
Fair enough, if that is your criteria. I just wasn't aware that Graves won that cup by himself.

Do you think Graves is more deserving than Boucher & Bill Cook who won 2 cups & were with the Rangers longer than Graves? By your criteria, the answer should be No.

The Korean*

Fair enough, if that is your criteria. I just wasn't aware that Graves won that cup by himself.

Do you think Graves is more deserving than Boucher & Bill Cook who won 2 cups & were with the Rangers longer than Graves? By your criteria, the answer should be No.

Wasnt the era Rangers won their final Cup before 1994 an Original 6 era?

Puddy

Oct 24, 2002
parts unknown
Visit site
I know that the Sabres have retired Pat Lafontaine's #16. Didn't the Islanders do that as well?

And Kudo's to whomever remembered Bobby Hull and the Winnipeg Jets! I do recall that the Jets replaced the banners one year, but when they did Bobby's #9, the place spelled it with an 'E'. Frankly, it looked like Hell.

rmchahn

Apr 13, 2007
Also, the Leafs no longer retire numbers (since 1933) but instead have an honor ceremony for the player. Once they do that the number goes back in circulation. AFAIK, the only numbers currently retired in Toronto are #5 (Bill Barilko) and #9 (Ace Bailey). Oddly enough, Barilko's number was only worn for 1 of his seasons as a Leaf.

Ace Bailey's number was #6 actually. Although it had been retired, Bailey allowed the Leafs to give Ron Ellis #6.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Anyways, Pittsburgh should retire Ron Francis's number.

Absolutely should...but I wouldn't hold your breath. Same goes to Coffey. The Penguins seem extremely reluctant to retire numbers. There's only two numbers retired currently (66 Mario Lemieux and 21 Michel Briere, who died in a car accident). If none of the cup era players have their numbers retired by now it doesn't seem likely they ever would. Especially with Ty Conklin wearing #35 and Gary Roberts wearing #10.

Jaromir Jagr is probably the next player with a legitimate shot to get his number retired in Pittsburgh and even then the way he left may make the wait longer than it should be.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Well my guess is no, since they won no cup and Graves stayed with Rangers longer then Bathgate.

Actually, Bathgate was with the Rangers for 11 seasons while Graves was with the Rangers for 10, if you want to go there.

Both Boucher and Cook played more seasons with the Rangers as well (and won more Cups, as pappy pointed out).

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
Detroit only raises the jerseys of players who make the Hall of Fame (see the Larry Aurie controversy for reference). Given that the HOF voters appear to be getting more senile by the year, we'll have to wait for them to induct Bill Barilko, Pete Stemkowski and the Metz brothers before they get around to Shanahan and that Russian guy.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Detroit only raises the jerseys of players who make the Hall of Fame (see the Larry Aurie controversy for reference). Given that the HOF voters appear to be getting more senile by the year, we'll have to wait for them to induct Bill Barilko, Pete Stemkowski and the Metz brothers before they get around to Shanahan and that Russian guy.

What? Bill Barilko isn't in the Hall of Fame?

Any player that has a song written about them would be in my Hall of Fame.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad